Rule question

Ok I've been watching bball for a few years and have a rules question. A player has the ball and is dribbling, he falls...maybe the floor is wet, maybe another player gets tangled, maybe he just falls over his own feet. When is it traveling? I've seen this called in so many ways and so inconsistently. Sometimes it's a turnover sometimes he rolls around on the floor for awhile and manages to pass it. Just looking for what the rules say.:confused:

IMO this call is as inconsistant as the block/charge. I seen players fall and instantly be called for it and then I have seen them roll back and forth for what seems like seconds and then pass the ball and the play continues.

A couple of "it depends."

If the defensive player is set and the dribbler's foot hits the defender's foot and the dribbler goes down it's not a foul although we will see it called that way some time.

As far as "going to the floor" what many fail to realize when they yell "WALK!!" is that it's only a violation if the player is holding the ball when he/she hits the floor.

A few examples:

A1 rebounds the ball , loses his balance, falls to the floor holding the ball: travel

A1 rebounds the ball, loses his balance, falls to the floor but drops the ball right before hitting the floor: nothing

A1 dives for a ball and catches it while airborne. He then lands with the ball. Travel

A1 holding the ball, loses his balance, starts to fall but breaks the fall with his forearm only touching the floor: travel

A1 dives for a ball that is rolling. A1 hits the floor, secures the ball, slides across the floor: nothing.

The other area where people misunderstand the travel rule is while dribbling. First, you can NEVER travel while dribbling. Impossible.

Secondly, if A1 throws to A2 cutting down the lane and A2, while moving his feet, bobbles the ball before every controlling the ball it is NOT a travel.

Next, if A1 is dribbling down the lane, gets tangled without being fouled, and starts to go to the floor as long as he lets go of the ball before landing it's not a travel.

A1 drives, jumps, B1 hits the ball hard enough to cause A1 to lose the ball, A1 then catches the ball followed by A1 landing : nothing.

Good answer Clyde. To follow up from one of your examples: A1 dives for a ball that is rolling. A1 hits the floor, secures the ball, slides across the floor: nothing. Now after securing the ball, several players from both teams approach and in the ensuing entanglement the player with the ball begins to roll back and forth in an attempt to pass the ball to a teammate without being tied up. Is this a walk?

Good answer Clyde. To follow up from one of your examples: A1 dives for a ball that is rolling. A1 hits the floor, secures the ball, slides across the floor: nothing. Now after securing the ball, several players from both teams approach and in the ensuing entanglement the player with the ball begins to roll back and forth in an attempt to pass the ball to a teammate without being tied up. Is this a walk?

Define "roll back and forth."

Another travel we see (more in girls than boys for me) : A1 catches a pass on the perimeter. Head fakes and jab steps faking a jump shot. The travel occurs when they then lift their pivot foot BEFORE they release the ball to the floor for the dribble.