Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rule question

Featured Replies

A couple of "it depends."

 

If the defensive player is set and the dribbler's foot hits the defender's foot and the dribbler goes down it's not a foul although we will see it called that way some time.

 

As far as "going to the floor" what many fail to realize when they yell "WALK!!" is that it's only a violation if the player is holding the ball when he/she hits the floor.

 

A few examples:

 

A1 rebounds the ball , loses his balance, falls to the floor holding the ball: travel

A1 rebounds the ball, loses his balance, falls to the floor but drops the ball right before hitting the floor: nothing

A1 dives for a ball and catches it while airborne. He then lands with the ball. Travel

A1 holding the ball, loses his balance, starts to fall but breaks the fall with his forearm only touching the floor: travel

A1 dives for a ball that is rolling. A1 hits the floor, secures the ball, slides across the floor: nothing.

 

The other area where people misunderstand the travel rule is while dribbling. First, you can NEVER travel while dribbling. Impossible.

Secondly, if A1 throws to A2 cutting down the lane and A2, while moving his feet, bobbles the ball before every controlling the ball it is NOT a travel.

Next, if A1 is dribbling down the lane, gets tangled without being fouled, and starts to go to the floor as long as he lets go of the ball before landing it's not a travel.

A1 drives, jumps, B1 hits the ball hard enough to cause A1 to lose the ball, A1 then catches the ball followed by A1 landing : nothing.

 

Clyde, this is one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to travelling.

 

Technically, could A2 bobble the ball before ever controlling it all the way down the court?

Clyde, this is one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to travelling.

 

Technically, could A2 bobble the ball before ever controlling it all the way down the court?

 

You must be a coach because I get asked that quite a bit when I explain why it wasn't a travel.:lol:

 

You cannot travel if you've never had control of the ball. Period.

The biggest gripe I have with my official brothers/sisters is when we call a travel "because it looks funny." It's an easy sell to coaches but it's not always a travel.

 

I agree. I hear refs saying the Euro Step looks funny so therefore they call it.

 

Now granted, I'm a HS and Middle School fan and the refs I am speaking of perhaps aren't up to speed on this, however, I see this called all the time as a travel. I second step is to the side which seems it get a travel called a lot around here.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqx7OqmJpL8

Define "roll back and forth."

 

For this question - A1 dives for the ball and is facing the floor. He/She rolls over 180 degrees to look for a player to throw to. Not seeing one he/She rolls completely in the opposite direction still looking for another player. This would be considered a walk because the player has control of the ball while on the floor?

For this question - A1 dives for the ball and is facing the floor. He/She rolls over 180 degrees to look for a player to throw to. Not seeing one he/She rolls completely in the opposite direction still looking for another player. This would be considered a walk because the player has control of the ball while on the floor?

 

So the player is on their belly and rolls to their back or vice versa? Travel.

 

If he/she was on their back they could sit up. That's it. Can't go to their knees. Can't roll from front to back or vice versa.

I agree. I hear refs saying the Euro Step looks funny so therefore they call it.

 

Now granted, I'm a HS and Middle School fan and the refs I am speaking of perhaps aren't up to speed on this, however, I see this called all the time as a travel. I second step is to the side which seems it get a travel called a lot around here.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqx7OqmJpL8

 

Euro step is a perfect example of "it looks funny so....tweet."

Hands down the hardest call/no call to make is the drive then spin. IMO it's a travel 99% of the time yet it happens so fast sometimes you let it go because your brain can't process it fast enough. I've done it.

So the player is on their belly and rolls to their back or vice versa? Travel.

If he/she was on their back they could sit up. That's it. Can't go to their knees. Can't roll from front to back or vice versa.

 

Yes this answers the question I had. You see it occasionally at the Varsity level, but more at the Freshman level. (Called less with the girls vice boys)

Define "roll back and forth."

 

Rolling from his left side to his back or all the way to right side and maybe back again or any combination of that. All while controlling the ball in an effort to protect the ball from the other team while trying to find an opening to hand off or pass to a teammate. You see this more in women's college ball and it usually winds up as a jump ball. But it happens at all levels.

Your answer to MNCM's question answers mine I believe.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.