Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands' record-setting year

Featured Replies

With the win against LexCath this past Friday, Highlands broke two state records, one for most points scored in a season and the other for most touchdowns scored in a season. At the present time, HHS has scored 807 points and 115 TDs, with one game still to be played.

 

If Highlands is able to score at least 18 points against Franklin-Simpson on Saturday (and assuming HHS gets at least two TDs on its way to scoring those 18 points), then this year's Highlands squad will finish the year ranked untied and third ALL-TIME NATIONALLY in both points in a season and TDs in a season, according to the official NFHS football record book.

 

In looking at the top two teams for both points and TDs in a season, it will not be possible for HHS to move into second place in either category.

I started a thread earlier this season asking, "Is this the most dominating Highlands team ever?"

 

Some people said "No", saying there were other HHS teams from the past that were better, or would have beaten the current team. Also, many cited the poor competition HHS faced this year. In my question, those are factors that do not detract from being dominating, but actually add to them.

 

Looking back, I should have probably phrased the question this way: "Is this the most dominating season Highlands has ever had?"

 

With the setting of this record, I believe the answer is YES!

 

assuming they win big this week

Mondays No.Ky.com say Highlands needs 400 yards of offense to break the single season record. I know that after 12 games there was a 5 yard difference between the paper's team stat page and what the KHSAA web site was listing. Does anyone know what the actual totals are? The article also said Highlands needed 7 kicking extra points to tie Boyle Co. state record of 97 but their own team stat page shows the two kickers already have 97. I haven't lived in Northern Kentucky for 35 years but it'd nice to the paper hasn't changed--bring back the Post.

Just an FYI: According to the Kentucky High School Athletic Association: Highlands kickers have 91 extra points, thus needing seven extra points to break the record, and 7,010 yards total offense, thus needing 400 yards total offense to break the record.

Quite an acoomplishment for the Birds. Even a greater accomplishment given the running clock rule.

 

Does anyone know when the mercy rule was adopted in Kentucky?

Just an FYI: According to the Kentucky High School Athletic Association: Highlands kickers have 91 extra points, thus needing seven extra points to break the record, and 7,010 yards total offense, thus needing 400 yards total offense to break the record.

 

Thanks for the info but I am going to go out on a limb and figure that Dale knows this and will be shooting for both of these on Saturday. I expect them to really put a hurting on Franklin Simpson.

Mondays No.Ky.com say Highlands needs 400 yards of offense to break the single season record. I know that after 12 games there was a 5 yard difference between the paper's team stat page and what the KHSAA web site was listing. Does anyone know what the actual totals are? The article also said Highlands needed 7 kicking extra points to tie Boyle Co. state record of 97 but their own team stat page shows the two kickers already have 97. I haven't lived in Northern Kentucky for 35 years but it'd nice to the paper hasn't changed--bring back the Post.

 

Just be glad Skinner is covering us again. I do miss the old KY POST though and Terry Boehmkier.

When referring to extra points, are these only the kicking variety, or does it include 2-point conversions?

I was informed in a pm not to shoot the paper or khsaa for what they print. They are just showing what is reported. I minored in stat. analaysis and the anal part just stayed with me.

 

I think we all know Highlands has 807 points by tallying the game scores. I just think if your'e going to bother to keep stats and records, atleast get them correct. For instance, No. Ky.has Highlands reporting 9 td's (even broken down by who scored them) and New 7/7 kicking ep's. against Western. So I took away 1 td from the compiled team stats giving them 115 td's, 3 fg's, 97 kicking ep's, 4 2pt. conversions and 1 safety as it is reported--only problem is that totals 806. I'm sure it goes back to what was reported for the Western game. Take as a given HHS scored 8 td's and New was 7/7 kicking ep's the only way to get to 56 was somebody kicked another ep.

 

I know coach wears several hats and probably only has one stat number on his mind--just saying if your kids work hard enough to break a state record get them the recognition for it.

Should be that way for any sport at any school if they are going to keep records.

I was informed in a pm not to shoot the paper or khsaa for what they print. They are just showing what is reported. I minored in stat. analaysis and the anal part just stayed with me.

 

I think we all know Highlands has 807 points by tallying the game scores. I just think if your'e going to bother to keep stats and records, atleast get them correct. For instance, No. Ky.has Highlands reporting 9 td's (even broken down by who scored them) and New 7/7 kicking ep's. against Western. So I took away 1 td from the compiled team stats giving them 115 td's, 3 fg's, 97 kicking ep's, 4 2pt. conversions and 1 safety as it is reported--only problem is that totals 806. I'm sure it goes back to what was reported for the Western game. Take as a given HHS scored 8 td's and New was 7/7 kicking ep's the only way to get to 56 was somebody kicked another ep.

 

I know coach wears several hats and probably only has one stat number on his mind--just saying if your kids work hard enough to break a state record get them the recognition for it.

Should be that way for any sport at any school if they are going to keep records.

 

Luke Brockett has kicked many extrea points for Highlands this year, so he probably kicked the other extra point. He has probably kicked 25 or more extra points this year.

He has 43 according to Highlands stat page on NKY.com. I started out questioning the Enguire article saying the Birds needed 7 extra points by kicking to break the state record. RSkinner responded that khsaa showed HHS kickers with 91 but has the tot Sal offense at 7,010 yds so the site was already updated. Since the Highlands team stat page shows New with 54 kicked ep's and Brockett with 43 it seemed like Highlands had tied the record already. I then went back and checked the kicking stats for each game--also came up with 97 but found the problem with the stats reported for that game. Take as a given that HHS scored 8 not 9 td.s as reported and New was 7/7 kicking, they had to kick another ep to total 56. If that is true then they have kicked 98 ep's, set a new record and don't even know it. Anyone have the paper for the Western game?

dmh115 you piqued my interest so I went back game by game to what was reported to khsaa and seems like whoever entered stats from the ryle game for highlands gave carter new 7 two-point conversions and extra-point kicks. Highlands indeed should have 98, but as noted it only has 91 reported to khsaa so in order for it to be fixed and become a record someone from the school needs to fix the error. Good work.

- Richard Skinner

Actually that should read 7 two-point conversions and 0 extra-point kicks. I'll let Dale know to fix that.

Actually that should read 7 two-point conversions and 0 extra-point kicks. I'll let Dale know to fix that.

 

I doubt Dale is thinking about that right now. But being the Math Teacher that he is, he'll want it fixed.

It looks like Highlands will finish 3rd nationally in touchdowns in a season, Second in extra points (if they get 6), third in total points and if they get 500 yards of offense they will finish 4th in all-time yards gained.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.