South Laurel 85 Cawood 45

As long as Hicks was coach, Corbin was never favored over Clay no matter the rankings or where the game was played. He will tell you that. Keith had his number!! :ylsuper:

I don't know about that year. Corbin played Clay County one time and beat them by 20+ in the finals of the CFIT.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was that same year,,,,,,,,,Billy's last..

It was the same year Corbin lost to Jackson County at Clay, Hicks last game as Coach. I went to the classic Corbin- Harlan game that year, that was on WYMT. Corbin and Harlan drew in opposite brackets in the 13th region tourney, and WYMT had it set to televise the second meeting, but both teams didn't make it. Instead Clay and Jackson played on WYMT, with Clay winning. Harlan was ranked top 25 in the nation that year. Getting back on topic South is heads and shoulders above every team in the region, but they can't take it for granted.

Jim - I guess you may have not been around long enough to know that ANYTHING can happen AT Clay County. I agree that SL is the favorite, but a loss in the 13th region tournament would not shock me at all.

Over the past several seasons I've seen several SL teams that were "heads and shoulders" above the rest lose in the district or regional tournaments, and that was back in the 12th region days. SL is the favorite, but anything can happen.

Of this, I have no doubt. I just hate to see the outcome of games decided in some back room before the game is even played. It makes us all look bad when these things happen.

Wishful thinking is what this sounds like.

More of a "warning" to be honest.

The key to South getting by a game where everything seems to be going against them will be the manner in which they handle the adversity. The fact that Coach Wright has subjected them to many tough games and venues over the last couple of years would lead me to believe that they would handle it OK though. But, I think that having a very difficult regional game in the regular season would actually be very beneficial for the Cardinals when the regional tournament rolls around.

Jim - I guess you may have not been around long enough to know that ANYTHING can happen AT Clay County. I agree that SL is the favorite, but a loss in the 13th region tournament would not shock me at all.

Over the past several seasons I've seen several SL teams that were "heads and shoulders" above the rest lose in the district or regional tournaments, and that was back in the 12th region days. SL is the favorite, but anything can happen.

That's the same thing Pulaski and Somerset has said about traveling to Laurel Co for years. Anything can happen there also. :devil:

It was the same year Corbin lost to Jackson County at Clay, Hicks last game as Coach. I went to the classic Corbin- Harlan game that year, that was on WYMT. Corbin and Harlan drew in opposite brackets in the 13th region tourney, and WYMT had it set to televise the second meeting, but both teams didn't make it. Instead Clay and Jackson played on WYMT, with Clay winning. Harlan was ranked top 25 in the nation that year. Getting back on topic South is heads and shoulders above every team in the region, but they can't take it for granted.

I was at the Harlan/Clay game that year. Harlan was the better team. If my memory serves me correct, HDE can help me, I think Harlan had the ball with the game tied and while the ball was in the air with maybe .05 seconds left they called an off the ball foul on Harlan and Clay shot free throws to win this one. Anything can happen in the 13th. I think that is the way it went.

The only way SL loses to any team in the 13th is if they get cheated. I still dont think that any team in this region + the officials is enough to take down the Cards though. However, knowing the 13th region tourney is at Clay Co this year, I wouldnt be suprised if it happens.

I was at the Harlan/Clay game that year. Harlan was the better team. If my memory serves me correct, HDE can help me, I think Harlan had the ball with the game tied and while the ball was in the air with maybe .05 seconds left they called an off the ball foul on Harlan and Clay shot free throws to win this one. Anything can happen in the 13th. I think that is the way it went.

Jones from Harlan misses a shot with time running out and the game tied, Cox (I think) from Harlan climbs over the back going for the rebound (obvious foul). Kelly Miller hits the freethrows for the win. A foul is a foul is a foul. Should the ref allow an obvious over the back go? This is how I remember it ending.

Jones from Harlan misses a shot with time running out and the game tied, Cox (I think) from Harlan climbs over the back going for the rebound (obvious foul). Kelly Miller hits the freethrows for the win. A foul is a foul is a foul. Should the ref allow an obvious over the back go? This is how I remember it ending.

Like I said I was at this game and the ball was in the air when the whistle blew. I don't know how there could have been an over the back with the ball in the air.

Like I said I was at this game and the ball was in the air when the whistle blew. I don't know how there could have been an over the back with the ball in the air.

It was obvious the shot was NOT going in and I suppose he was trying to position for the tip or rebound. I think going over the back is illegal even if the ball is in the air. Can you go over the back while the ball is in the air? :confused: :p

The only way SL loses to any team in the 13th is if they get cheated. I still dont think that any team in this region + the officials is enough to take down the Cards though. However, knowing the 13th region tourney is at Clay Co this year, I wouldnt be suprised if it happens.

:rolleyes: You keep planting those seeds in people's minds about the 13th being at Clay and how South's the greatest team ever and no one can possibly beat them. We have run out of bullitin boards to paste your post on, so we are now wall papering the locker rooms. Slow down a little so we can catch up. :D I would say all your comments are making Mr. Wright very :mad:

:rolleyes: You keep planting those seeds in people's minds about the 13th being at Clay and how South's the greatest team ever and no one can possibly beat them. We have run out of bullitin boards to paste your post on, so we are now wall papering the locker rooms. Slow down a little so we can catch up. :D I would say all your comments are making Mr. Wright very :mad:

Take that! UKbellco14! This is a South Laurel/Cawood thread anyway. Seems like you're getting of topic a lot just to hound Clay. :confused: :D

That 1994 Harlan team was the best I can ever remember in Harlan County. They were unbelievable early in that season. They had two Division I players and three or four very good NAIA players who might have played at a bigger level if given the opportunity. Talent-wise, that team compares very favorably to this year's South Laurel group.

As SKINGPIG said, Cox was called for an over the back on Miller in the final second. It was a very unusual call with the game basically over.

I doubt Coach Wright even worries what is on this board! This is the first I have ever mentioned the region tourney being at Clay... go and check all my previous post. I promise ya! :thumb:

SKINPIG.... I wasnt the one who got off topic.... it was someone else who brought up the topic... i was just contributing my 2 cents, which never really appeals to you anyways. I really hope SL and Clay meet this season in the Region Tourney. It will be alot of fun to see what you have to say after that one, if you dare even post! :thumb: