Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Touching Story

Featured Replies

THis was found on an Ohio website. It puts a lot of things into perspective. Especially this time of year.

 

It was called "...an ode to my son!" by a gentlemen known as Tripsdad:

 

On November 13th at the annual Cambridge Football Awards Banquet the coaches and boosters gave out several awards; letter winners, most improved, league honors, leadership, etc. However, this year, after all the usual awards were given out, Football Booster President Jim Endly began to speak about giving out a new award. This award was to be given out each year to a student who exemplified courage and commitment to Bobcat Spirit. It was to be named after a senior who has demonstrated those attributes consistently since becoming a Bobcat. The award was the Adam J. Eldredge Courage Award. My wife and I cried with pride as Jim introduced the namesake and recipient of the award.

 

Every father has aspirations for his son; a great athlete, the finest musician, a skilled surgeon. I was no different. When we were listing potential names for our unborn child, my wife, Crista, chose girl names that sounded poetic. I, on the other hand, prioritized boy names that would resonate over a stadium loudspeaker. We were blessed with a boy, Adam, and as I held him I could hear the announcer cry out enthusiastically “Adam Eldredge connects again with Smith…TOUCHDOWN!” or “OH! That’s gotta hurt! A.J. Eldredge again on the tackle!”

 

It became a ritual. Crista would take Adam for his periodic pediatrician check-ups and return to tell me that Adam was still “off the charts” in height and weight. Genetics were in his favor, at least on his mother’s side, his grandfather and uncle both played Division I football. Surely, this 4-year-old behemoth would someday be playing on Sundays.

 

Then came the morning of June 24th 1992. Crista and Adam were involved in a terrible car accident. I lost Crista and the doctors weren’t giving Adam much of a chance. It was here that I first witnessed Adam’s strength. I kept hearing stories of how no one with his injuries could survive, and yet he did. Through two broken arms, a broken leg, a broken collarbone, broken ribs, his jaw broken in two places, and a severe head injury, my little boy, bruised and battered beyond recognition, showed an inner strength I could not fathom. And his struggles were just beginning.

 

After several surgeries, it was time for Adam to begin rehab. It was as if the first 4 years of his life were wiped out. He had to relearn how to sit up, how to eat, how to drink, how to talk, how to walk, everything. His injuries left a permanent paralysis on the right side of his body and he had very little control over his right arm or leg. But, he struggled through it all with a huge infectious smile. And though it made it hard for him to play the games that the rest of the kids were playing, he never complained.

 

In 7th Grade, he decided to go out for Track. He figured he might be able to throw the shot or discus pretty well so he thought he’d give it a try. I remember when he came home after the first practice and told us that he was going to have to run the 100-meter dash because the coach required EVERYONE to run an event. I thought he might want to quit, but it never entered his mind. And so, at his first meet, there he was lined up on the starting line for the 100 meters, a look of determination came over his face as he stared down the track at the finish line. The gun went off and within a few steps he was in last place, still, running as hard as he could, never conceding. When he crossed the finish line he may not have finished first, but he definitely didn’t lose. And so it went at every track meet that season. If they determined the winner by measuring his determination, he’d have been undefeated.

 

In 2001 we moved to Cambridge. I had been teaching and coaching here for a couple years and when football season was starting to get underway I asked Coach Goodrich if he minded if Adam helped out as a manager. Adam was getting ready to start 8th Grade and loved the idea of being involved with the team. It took barely a nanosecond for Adam to become a Bobcat. The moment he put on his first Cambridge t-shirt he began bleeding blue and white. At school Adam defended the team vehemently, which wouldn’t have been easy since we really weren’t very good. Still, don’t let Adam hear you putting down the team; he’d have none of that. He loved Cambridge and expected everyone to feel the same.

 

For 5 years he attended nearly every practice. In scorching heat, in the rain, in the mud, he was there. He filled water bottles, got out equipment, put away equipment, and ran whatever errands we needed him to run. And every Friday night he was there, at the game, filling water bottles with his good hand, forcing his way through players, and sprinting onto the field during every timeout. Once or twice a season he’d fall while trying to get out to the players, and since he could only catch himself with one arm and it was usually carrying the water, he’d hit pretty hard. Yet, with single-minded purpose he’d get up as quickly as possible and try to deliver his charge, knowing that was his role on this team. He didn’t run the ball, or throw the touchdowns, or make the game saving tackle, he supported the guys who did. And he did it with pride and enthusiasm.

 

For 5 years I’ve watched Adam at every practice and every game and I am in awe of him. The inner strength that he has demonstrated over the last 13 years leaves me moved and humbled. He is my hero. I told you that every father has aspirations for his son, yet now it is I who aspires to be like my son. And though I will never hear his name shouted enthusiastically by the stadium announcer, he has become more than I could ever have hoped. He has become my inspiration.

Thank you Adam…love, Dad.

WOW! Touching story that puts priorities in perspective!

As weird as it sounds, that's exactly the sort of thing that my dad has said to me since my wreck, I never understood it, but that made it a little more clear

That story will make you stop and count your blessings.

I sit here wiping tears from my eyes as I consider how blessed I have been to have played the sport and have sons and nephews who have played and excelled. Thanks for sharing this story and thank you God for my blessings.

Fantastic story. You've been blessed with Adam.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.