Game Contracts

Not sure I know last year SK backed out on NCC so they could play Middletown. SK does play NCC this year so I guess it wasn't that big of a deal.

I would imagine if you did it early enough and perhaps swung a deal for a future game the team losing out might be more generous. Your example was likely done early enough for Newport Catholic to pick up a game.

Generally they do (1 to 2K) depending on the circumstances or the specific contract.

If I recall, the state mandates some type of compensation.

Nah, the state doesn't mandate amount of compensation or even any compensation at all. It's up to the schools to determine if compensation will be paid and that amount unless something very recently changed.

Nah, the state doesn't mandate amount of compensation or even any compensation at all. It's up to the schools to determine if compensation will be paid and that amount unless something very recently changed.
I think it's within the last 2 or 3 years, and there was a pretty specific situation that caused the change. I just don't recall what that situation was......or it's possible that it was all a bad dream?????

I can't imagine backing out of contract, I think the humilation should be enough.

Seriously it depends on the school, and even if there is a dollar amount on the contract, there are few cases where it is actually enforced. At least that is what I have seen over the years mostly in basketball, I think backing out of a game in Football is a rarity.

I can't imagine backing out of contract, I think the humilation should be enough.

Seriously it depends on the school, and even if there is a dollar amount on the contract, there are few cases where it is actually enforced. At least that is what I have seen over the years mostly in basketball, I think backing out of a game in Football is a rarity.

You probably don't see it much in football because there just aren't that many dates. Missing a game means missing money.

I think it's within the last 2 or 3 years, and there was a pretty specific situation that caused the change. I just don't recall what that situation was......or it's possible that it was all a bad dream?????

I'm pretty sure the KHSAA only has a proposed form of contract. I don't even think a suggested breakage fee is in it, but I could be wrong. In any event, it would be only a suggested fee. The KHSAA allows the schools to use their own form of contract and to use any breakage fee the two schools agree to.

I remember a few years ago Boyle County had a contract with Harrodsburg. H-burg decided that they didn't want to play and there was a $3,000 buyout clause in the contract. I don't know if this is standard operating procedure, but I would think that teams would need some type of protection if one team decided it could schedule an "easier" game and cancel with the stronger team, leaving them in a bad situation for finding another game.

I'm pretty sure the KHSAA only has a proposed form of contract. I don't even think a suggested breakage fee is in it, but I could be wrong. In any event, it would be only a suggested fee. The KHSAA allows the schools to use their own form of contract and to use any breakage fee the two schools agree to.

That is correct, the schools decide on the amount. Not sure on football but for basketball it is usually between 500-1000 unless it is a tournament.