St. Xavier 70 Fern Creek 0

Birdsfan

As I have stated in the past, and it's just one guys opinion, you CANNOT make any assumptions about what Glaser will do on offense until you play a real opponent. He will always pass against the easy teams but then becomes one dimensional against the better tems. Time will tell!

Agree with this assessment, however, he really does not have much choice this year. He does not have the personnel to just ram it up the middle. I can only hope that he remembers this when it is time to deliver

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's get real here. Looking at St. X.'s schedule, most everyone would agree that the Tigers are heavy favorites against Fern Creek and Doss, and underdogs against Riverdale, Trinity, Moeller, and Cincy St. X. The remaining four games against Central, Bowling Green, Male, and Manual should be highly competitive tossups.

It was great to see X get a 70-0 win, and almost everyone get a lot of playing time. However, that Fern Creek team opposing them was very weak to start, and made vastly weaker by playing with 10 (not 8 as previously reported) starters out on suspension. On top of that, they were playing their first game under a new coach with a new offense and defense. As far as advancing the Tigers experience in preparation for tough opponents, this game did them no good. Sadly, it was not much better than taking the field and running the offensive and defensive plays "on air".

I love the new offense, defense, and enthusiasm; but for me the jury is still out until we see how they perform against Riverdale and Bowling Green in the next two games......GO TIGERS!! :cool:

The same Male that lost to Floyd Central? The same Manual who lost to Bowling Green by 16? The same Central who lost to Manual? Yes to Trinity and the Cincy teams, they should be considered underdogs. But I do understand where you are coming from.

Edited by bugatti
R13

Yes....that Male, that Manual, that Central, plus that Bowling Green. Our senior class was only 4-5 as JV's. Our junior class was only 6-4 as JV's. Our sophomore class was only 5-5 as freshmen. These are the three classes that make up our current varsity. All emotion aside, and thinking with the head and not the heart, these historical game results show that as a TEAM, we have a lot of proving to do.

One game at a time................GO TIGERS!! :cool:

Edited by bugatti

Yes....that Male, that Manual, that Central, plus that Bowling Green. Our senior class was only 4-5 as JV's. Our junior class was only 6-4 as JV's. Our sophomore class was only 5-5 as freshmen. These are the three classes that make up our current varsity. All emotion aside, and thinking with the head and not the heart, these historical game results show that as a TEAM, we have a lot of proving to do.

One game at a time................GO TIGERS!! :cool:

I understand where you are coming from, but that info is wrong. The seniors didnt have a losing record the juniors lost maybe 2 games and I have no idea about the sophomores.

Edited by bugatti

All the teams best players from those classes did not play JV. Those records aren't accurate. And Alex Mattinglys soph year he was out half the year with a collarbone injury i think it was. Lamondray Clemons played in about 6 games. Brandon Moore only played in 3, Along with Clyburn and Sermersheim. And this year Charles Walker will not play one game of JV.

All the teams best players from those classes did not play JV. Those records aren't accurate. And Alex Mattinglys soph year he was out half the year with a collarbone injury i think it was. Lamondray Clemons played in about 6 games. Brandon Moore only played in 3, Along with Clyburn and Sermersheim. And this year Charles Walker will not play one game of JV.

Where have you been mate?

Sorry, but those records are correct. Go to saintx.com, then athletics, then teams and schedules, then football-junior varsity, then look at 2010-2011 results for current juniors and 2009-2010 results for current seniors. For current sophomores go to football-freshman then look at 2010-2011 to get their results.

There is no need to worry about any of this, however, if you just go one game at a time, focus, execute and win..............GO TIGERS!!

These numbers are accurate. My knowledge is only of the freshman from last year. I will be happy to make the following predictions and/or statement of fact:

1. Last years freshmen team played their best game against Highlands (first game of the season). Tehy were at least equal to Highlands team, losing only in the last few seconds of the game. There is no reason for their 5-5 record, other than that were not well coached. the play calling was quite disappointing and many kids were playing out of position.

Welcome to Freshman Football. Period end of statement. That is exactly why there has been a change in the Freshman staff this year.

2.. Fast forward to this year, and I will predict that this same 2010 Freshman class will go undefeated as JV's without Walker. Go ahead, mark it down. We will discuss in detail as the season progresses.

3. The current JR. class is not that stronge except for the key players that are currently starting, primarily on the defensive side of ball. Therefore, you can go ahead and predict that the 2012 Jr class (same freshman group discussed above) will be major contributors in 2012, especially on the Offensive line where they will be quite large and physical. :walk:Over and Out. Peace

Loose rhythm, what changes were made on the frosh staff this year to correct for the poor coaching? I believe St. X frosh lost in the last second to highlands, had an opening 80 yard td called back for a block in the back on the first play of the game and had the starting QB get a concussion in the second quarter and still had a chance to drive for the win on the final drive. They lost to La Salle at La Salle with 2 wr's who stood 6'5" each. Lost to a good Ballard squad when the offense was running out the clock and fumbled the ball on offense and Ballard returned it for the game winning score. Central was tied with less than a minute to play and the tigers knew they wouldn't go to overtime so St. X tried a hurry up passing game and had an interception returned for a TD.

There's 4 of those loses that could have easily bounced another direction. I think this year's sophomore class is proving that they have gotten better and are in a position to win now (ie the goal of underclassman learning how to compete.

From what I've seen, the coaches in the freshman program are typically qualified and teach fundamentals to be successful in the future, not evaluate a group based on a 9th grade record.

Typically, it takes a couple of years to truly evaluate a team's chemistry and develop the right mix of kids.

Forgive me if I misunderstood your post, but I have seen the coaches on the freshman level for a number of years and many schools would foam at the mouth to have their credentials and philosophy.

Scheme is another matter, but that's not typically in a freshman staff's control. Teach fundamentals and character and let the record take care of itself.

No hard feelings, but I wouldn't want readers to have a single perspective on the evaluation of an entire coaching staff based on a freshman schedule that reads 5-5. Those kids won't be 5-5 as seniors, rest assured. But I think you agree on that opinion, based on your above post.

Loose rhythm, what changes were made on the frosh staff this year to correct for the poor coaching? I believe St. X frosh lost in the last second to highlands, had an opening 80 yard td called back for a block in the back on the first play of the game and had the starting QB get a concussion in the second quarter and still had a chance to drive for the win on the final drive. They lost to La Salle at La Salle with 2 wr's who stood 6'5" each. Lost to a good Ballard squad when the offense was running out the clock and fumbled the ball on offense and Ballard returned it for the game winning score. Central was tied with less than a minute to play and the tigers knew they wouldn't go to overtime so St. X tried a hurry up passing game and had an interception returned for a TD.

There's 4 of those loses that could have easily bounced another direction. I think this year's sophomore class is proving that they have gotten better and are in a position to win now (ie the goal of underclassman learning how to compete.

From what I've seen, the coaches in the freshman program are typically qualified and teach fundamentals to be successful in the future, not evaluate a group based on a 9th grade record.

Typically, it takes a couple of years to truly evaluate a team's chemistry and develop the right mix of kids.

Forgive me if I misunderstood your post, but I have seen the coaches on the freshman level for a number of years and many schools would foam at the mouth to have their credentials and philosophy.

Scheme is another matter, but that's not typically in a freshman staff's control. Teach fundamentals and character and let the record take care of itself.

No hard feelings, but I wouldn't want readers to have a single perspective on the evaluation of an entire coaching staff based on a freshman schedule that reads 5-5. Those kids won't be 5-5 as seniors, rest assured. But I think you agree on that opinion, based on your above post.

I agee with this assessment, and having ready through the above, was a litle too harsh in criticizing the coaching. "Poor Coaching" was not the correct description "Too Few Coaches" would be more accurate.

While I did disagree with most of the play calling (i.e. Central game with quick pitches for 20 yard losses-when you have second and goal on the 5; Ballard no huddle "Wildcat" with 30 seconds left to go in the game-should have brought that out way earlier in the game; I think that the whole gist of the coaching issue is when you have 110 new faces and only 5 coaches to handle them.

Additionally, it is my understanding that these poor coaches are barely paid for their work ?

My comments are more about the overall set up and perhaps the need for more coaches, perhaps an A and B team like many of the Cincinnati area schools.

They do have a new Freshman Head Coach, Tom Bellingham.

Yes, Loose Rhythm, many of the freshman coaches are not paid from what I hear. Although I haven't been sent any of their personal W-2's! An A and B squad would be terrific. It would be a hoot to have a B squad schedule and individual practices. Actually, the A squad would probably get better coaching and reps as well. B squad could have one coach, 60 players and have to practice in the gym or parking lot. He/she coaches all positions and serves as the OC/DC and special team's coordinator. That coach wouldn't want any kids or dogs after that season was finished!