Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Practice and its Hot!

Featured Replies

Just cut my grass and went into the cold shower for about 45 minutes, and we know its hot. How is your team handling this really hot index? I just sit in the shade and watch and I had to take a shower when I got home. Plenty of water breaks and the trainners are watching the index.

 

1969-71 we got very little water, we got salt tablets. I believe it will be hot again next week. This heat wave is in many states.

 

I want to go look at some cars, but man no way with those doors being closed, I'll have to wait.

It's all about "Heat Acclamation".

An AD in Indy said the temp ON the field turf at 3:00 was 171. Blacktop was 140. Concrete was 120 something.

 

That got me to wondering how teams with field turf measure to see if they can practice. My guess is that heat index is not measured ON the ground so could we have a sitch where the field turf is , say, 120 but the air is under the KHSAA max?

Practice at daylight.

 

My guess is many schools are doing early morning practices like you reference.

I can remeber goin shells with tennis shoes in the gym once or twice back in the day (storms not heat tho).. Would think that that would still be a viable option for most teams at this point.. Besides morning and night practice I would think gym practice would be better than simple chalk talk or cancelling.... Conditioning is quite important at this stage as well, season looming....

Edited by TheLastDon
spelling

I did not play football, but I remember in the early 90's when I was in school the football players complaining about how hot it was and not getting any water. Now, 20 years later, it seems like it has gotten hotter and teams aren't helping their case with this field turf. What is going to happen in another 20 years? Are they only going to be able to practice during summer nights? Maybe only inside? I can only imagine, because even at night it has been horribly sticky.

I did not play football, but I remember in the early 90's when I was in school the football players complaining about how hot it was and not getting any water. Now, 20 years later, it seems like it has gotten hotter and teams aren't helping their case with this field turf. What is going to happen in another 20 years? Are they only going to be able to practice during summer nights? Maybe only inside? I can only imagine, because even at night it has been horribly sticky.

 

I honestly think it has more to do with the changes we have made as a society. Did Jesus complain about walking around in the heat? What about Alexander the Great? I honestly think that air conditioning (while great) has made the environment during the summer hazardous to our health. Our bodies are not used to having to cool down from these temperatures, which makes it really dangerous now. Heck, even Bear Bryant's practices would be major trouble today.

 

Though I think Dead Period has some great advantages for players and coaches, I think that in the best interest of safety, I would move it earlier in the summer. That way everyone could still have their vacations and some time off, but players could be getting used to the heat for much of the summer before the Dog days of July and August.

It's all about "Heat Acclamation".

Again....................

I have noticed in my area, that on my way to work I pass Newport and Bellevue and both seem to be well into practice by the time I drive over 471 which is close to 7:30 every morning.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.