Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Beechwood's Colin Johnson to MIT

Featured Replies

Here is a nice article from this morning's Enquirer about Beechwood pitcher Colin Johnson. Colin will be attending MIT. Congrats to Colin!

 

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20110412/SPT0302/104130359/0/NEWS010704/Johnson-s-no-one-note-player?odyssey=nav|head

 

This is another example of the high quality student athletes Beechwood turns out. I believe the average ACT for the entire senior class this year is around 25. A very high percentage of the students will receive scholarships. For all the achievements Beechwood sports has, none are as significant as the academic achievements of students like Colin.

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Beechwood have the highest ACT scores for any school in Kentucky?

 

Very nice story and congrats to this young man.

^ Not sure. NDA and CCH are usually around 24 or 25, I believe.

 

 

 

Edit: I got this off of Cov Cath's website.

The highest composite score average ACT score for the Class of 2010 was 25.0

 

And Beechwood's:

Beechwood’s average composite score (25) the highest in the state.
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Beechwood have the highest ACT scores for any school in Kentucky?

 

Very nice story and congrats to this young man.

 

I think they do in NKY and I also think you missed the point. If you are a high school student in NKY and you want to improve your ACT scores you will take Beechwood's ACT preps classes, taught by Beechwood teachers! Great school and athletes. Congats Colin, good luck!

^ Not sure. NDA and CCH are usually around 24 or 25, I believe.

 

 

 

Edit: I got this off of Cov Cath's website.

 

And they are all studying for the ACT at Beechwood.

And they are all studying for the ACT at Beechwood.

 

I scored better than that and didn't study the ACT at BW :cool:

I scored better than that and didn't study the ACT at BW :cool:

 

Congrats big guy

Back to the thread:

 

MIT is big-time. Congrats to Colin.

I think they do in NKY and I also think you missed the point. If you are a high school student in NKY and you want to improve your ACT scores you will take Beechwood's ACT preps classes, taught by Beechwood teachers! Great school and athletes. Congats Colin, good luck!

 

I missed what point? The original post stated, "I believe the average ACT for the entire senior class this year is around 25" and I commented that I believe this is the highest score in the state - which most intelligent people would recognize to be a compliment. You, on the other hand, respond will some non-sensical, moronic statement that the only way a NKY student can improve their ACT score is to take BHS classes and be taught by BHS teachers. Seriously, get a grip.

  • Author
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Beechwood have the highest ACT scores for any school in Kentucky?

 

Very nice story and congrats to this young man.

 

I think Louisville magnet school Dupont Manual may have had a higher score. Of "true" district public schools, I believe Beechwood has been the highest in the state the past couple of years.

 

I got a chuckle out of this quote by Myerhoff in the story after he heard Johnson play a concert piece on the piano:

"It just didn't make sense to me that a kid who spent that much time learning how to play the piano that well would even make time for something like baseball," Myerhoff said. "I was completely and totally impressed.

 

"Of course, that was his undoing. I told him if he could focus on learning how to play piano that well, he could focus on becoming a good pitcher. Because when we got him, he needed a lot of work."

 

That is vintage Myerhoff right there. :lol:

Difference between public and private when it comes to ACT scores. In a public school, everyone has to take it and all scores are averaged. In a private school, such as CCH, only those who take the ACT are figured in the average. Coop, I don't think neverwrong was talking to you but actually to the CCH ND poster.

Difference between public and private when it comes to ACT scores. In a public school, everyone has to take it and all scores are averaged. In a private school, such as CCH, only those who take the ACT are figured in the average. Coop, I don't think neverwrong was talking to you but actually to the CCH ND poster.

 

Could be right. Not in an overly good mood today anyways, so I probably just took it wrong.

 

Plus, it took some of the focus off the accomplishments of this kid, which are indeed impressive. Not a lot of MIT-caliber students walking around . . . .

I missed what point? The original post stated, "I believe the average ACT for the entire senior class this year is around 25" and I commented that I believe this is the highest score in the state - which most intelligent people would recognize to be a compliment. You, on the other hand, respond will some non-sensical, moronic statement that the only way a NKY student can improve their ACT score is to take BHS classes and be taught by BHS teachers. Seriously, get a grip.

 

I acctually mis read your post, which is my fault. I read it as Beechwood doesnt have the highest ACT scores when in fact you were stating that you thought that they actally did. I can see where that doesn't make sense. I do still stand by my staement about BHS ACT classes.

Are we premature in stating that he WILL be attending MIT?

 

From the article:

 

Johnson, who was home-schooled until his freshman year, has been accepted to MIT, where he hopes to study biomedical engineering or biomedical chemistry.

 

"I'll play baseball if I go, and I'll keep playing the piano," Johnson said.

Are we premature in stating that he WILL be attending MIT?

 

From the article:

 

Johnson, who was home-schooled until his freshman year, has been accepted to MIT, where he hopes to study biomedical engineering or biomedical chemistry.

 

"I'll play baseball if I go, and I'll keep playing the piano," Johnson said.

 

Talked to him the other day. He said he was 95% sure he will go there and also said he is getting all but about 5K per year.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.