Big loss for N. Ky sports coverage.

leatherneck

Ditto on what everyone else has said. I've lived in a few different metro areas now, and Ryan's coverage of NKY high school sports has been first class.

Best of luck to Ryan.

There’s no doubt the “new media” has played a role in the demise of local newspapers and their coverage of local sports, but so far the “new media” hasn’t actually replaced what the local papers provided. Blogs like this are great, but they don’t provide “coverage” per se. One newspaper gave me information on virtually all the local sports I was interested in. To get the same on the web, I’ve got to visit many different sites, and then still run some searches for what I haven’t yet found.

There must be something better still to come. What will it be?

It is quite sad in the past year we have lost Don Weber and ICN6, who did an outstanding job covering NKY sports. Then KRsports stops broadcasting regular season football games. Now losing Mr. Ernst. I know change is inevitable but losing these "unbiased" reporting outlets in less than a year is quite alarming. I hope that other outlets can find a way to make a buck on covering HS sports.

What concerns me the most is for the smaller programs. I think the SK's, Ryle's, Highlands and CovCath's of the worlds will fill the void with Internet Broadcast and digital news letters. I am not sure the Ludlow's and Newports of the world will have the ability to have those things.

Ditto on what everyone else has said. I've lived in a few different metro areas now, and Ryan's coverage of NKY high school sports has been first class.

B

Great point, Bronc. I travel a lot and always pick up the local paper. Very, very few have any mention of high school sports.

The thing is this, the local papers have limited information whereas a site like BGP has a plethora. A show of hands, who pulls up BGP first when wanting HS results. Ryan did an admirable job but we were his competition in the end per se. Hehad his loyal readers like myself but the writing was on the wall.