UFC 123 results

Spike TV card

Middleweight bout:

Aaron Simpson vs. Mark Muñoz

Muñoz defeated Simpson via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)

Welterweight bout:

Matt Brown vs. Brian Foster

Foster defeated Brown via submission (guillotine choke) at 2:11 of round 2.

Main card

Lightweight bout:

George Sotiropoulos vs. Joe Lauzon

Sotiropoulos defeated Lauzon via submission (kimura) at 2:43 of round 2.

Light Heavyweight bout:

Phil Davis vs. Tim Boetsch

Davis defeated Boetsch via submission (kimura) at 2:55 of round 2.

Middleweight bout:

Gerald Harris vs. Maiquel Falcão

Falcão defeated Harris via unanimous decision (29-27, 29-28, 29-28).

Welterweight bout:

Matt Hughes vs. B.J. Penn

Penn defeated Hughes via KO (Punches) at 0:21 of Round 1

Light Heavyweight bout:

Quinton Jackson vs. Lyoto Machida

Jackson defeated Machida via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)

Watching the fight play out in the third round all I kept thinking about is how Rampage just pretty much lost the fight unless he knocked him out. I had him scored as winning the first and Machida winning the second, with Machida obviously winning the third. I thought since the third round was the most active and with Machida doing so many things in that round, there would be no way they gave the fight to Rampage. That was a very painful thought, however, after hearing the decision I couldn't be more happier. I thought Rampage looked very good tonight and did something very few people have done against Lyoto and that is dictate the fight.

Some decent fights- I think that BJ Penn's KO of Hughes was very impressive. I agree with homeless camel- Davis looks like a young stud and Falcao quit before the fight ended- his strategy was sound but he didn't win any fans tonigh.

George Sotiropoulos is going to be tough for anyone to put away- he doesn't stop coming and has a strong chin.

I thought Rampage deserved the victory- even if he didn't think he did. I had him winning the first two rounds and losing the final round. If there was a 10-8 system in MMA that was consistent or if there wasn't a 10 point must sytem, maybe I could see Machida winning the fight. He did a lot in the third round and Rampage did not dominate him at any point in the fight while Machida had Rampage on his back and controlled for about 2-3 minutes in that final round. I think we'll see a rematch.

I didn't watch, but from what I've read about it, it sounded like Rampage won the first two rounds, and it didn't sound like Machida did enough in the third to win better than 10-9. From what I've seen, it has to be pretty bad to be 10-8 or worse.

It also didn't sound like Dana was keen on a rematch, and hopefully he isn't. There's no point in having these two guys fight an immediate rematch, IMO. It wasn't a title fight. Circumstance may bring them together again. But, beyond that, Machida is just a boring fighter. I'm not excited about seeing him fight anyone. Rampage is an exciting guy who will go toe-to-toe and exchange with people. I'd rather see him fight somebody who will engage.

I like Hughes, but I was pleased to see BJ perform like I know he is capable of. He looked like a man possessed before the fight. I had both the first two rounds going to Rampage but honestly could have seen either one going to Machida. Except for the last round it was a fairly boring fight...as 5wide said I don't want to see a rematch.

I like Hughes, but I was pleased to see BJ perform like I know he is capable of. He looked like a man possessed before the fight. I had both the first two rounds going to Rampage but honestly could have seen either one going to Machida. Except for the last round it was a fairly boring fight...as 5wide said I don't want to see a rematch.

I honestly think that's the #1 reason we won't see a rematch, and why Dana doesn't seem interested. It's definitely the biggest reason for me. I wasn't excited about the first one. I wish the UFC would cut Machida. I have no desire to see him fight anyone.

And, I think you have to question where he stands in the LHW division right now. Look at his last two years...

May 2008 - He beat Tito Ortiz via unanimous decision, but nearly lost that fight when Tito caught him in a triangle choke in the third round. Boring fight.

January 2009 - Impressive 1st round stoppage of Thiago Silva. Silva has yet to live up to expectations as a rising contender at 205. It was an exciting fight, but he beat a mediocre LHW.

May 2009 - The most impressive fight of Machida's career, a vicious KO of Rashad Evans. Good fight.

October 2009 - Lost to Shogun everywhere except on the three cage-side judges scorecards. That fight is a loss in my book and I think that's why Machida isn't close to a rematch as long as Shogun holds the belt. It was a decent fight because of Shogun.

May 2010 - Lost via KO to Shogun.

November 2010 - Lost via split decision to Rampage. By all accounts, a typical boring Machida fight.

So, in essence, he's lost his last three fights. He has convincingly beaten exactly one top level LHW. Machida might be able to baffle guys because no one else fights like him and outpoint them and win, but I know that's not the type of fighter Dana White wants carrying the banner at 205. If he continues to fight a boring style, he'll have to go beyond what a normal fighter has to do to get another title shot, IMO. Just like Jon Fitch at 170. If Fitch was more exciting, he'd be ahead of Jake Shields, IMO.

The interesting thing about Machida is that he's proven himself to have some good power and I think he could be successful with a more aggressive and engaging style. But, he'd get hit more and apparently that's something he doesn't want. Until he chooses to engage a little more, I hope he never gets a sniff at the LHW title.

I honestly think that's the #1 reason we won't see a rematch, and why Dana doesn't seem interested. It's definitely the biggest reason for me. I wasn't excited about the first one. I wish the UFC would cut Machida. I have no desire to see him fight anyone.

And, I think you have to question where he stands in the LHW division right now. Look at his last two years...

May 2008 - He beat Tito Ortiz via unanimous decision, but nearly lost that fight when Tito caught him in a triangle choke in the third round. Boring fight.

January 2009 - Impressive 1st round stoppage of Thiago Silva. Silva has yet to live up to expectations as a rising contender at 205. It was an exciting fight, but he beat a mediocre LHW.

May 2009 - The most impressive fight of Machida's career, a vicious KO of Rashad Evans. Good fight.

October 2009 - Lost to Shogun everywhere except on the three cage-side judges scorecards. That fight is a loss in my book and I think that's why Machida isn't close to a rematch as long as Shogun holds the belt. It was a decent fight because of Shogun.

May 2010 - Lost via KO to Shogun.

November 2010 - Lost via split decision to Rampage. By all accounts, a typical boring Machida fight.

So, in essence, he's lost his last three fights. He has convincingly beaten exactly one top level LHW. Machida might be able to baffle guys because no one else fights like him and outpoint them and win, but I know that's not the type of fighter Dana White wants carrying the banner at 205. If he continues to fight a boring style, he'll have to go beyond what a normal fighter has to do to get another title shot, IMO. Just like Jon Fitch at 170. If Fitch was more exciting, he'd be ahead of Jake Shields, IMO.

The interesting thing about Machida is that he's proven himself to have some good power and I think he could be successful with a more aggressive and engaging style. But, he'd get hit more and apparently that's something he doesn't want. Until he chooses to engage a little more, I hope he never gets a sniff at the LHW title.

The UFC would be insane to cut Machida. He might be a little boring to some, but he's one of the best LHW's in the world.

I agree, I know it's like a broken record but a motivated BJ Penn is one tough hombre, and if he wasn't motivated to fight Hughes after losing two in a row then it would have been time for him to retire. He needed this win much much much more than Hughes. I agree with 5wide that I don't want to see Machida fight period. The only time I wanna see Machida fight is if I'm battling insomnia and run out of Ambien. He is the absolute more boring fighter in MMA, IMO. I know how he's been so successful now, he lulls his opponents to sleep from boredom and gets credit for KOs. Bring on Rampage and Shogun that's what I wanna see. I like watching fights not dancing with the stars.