Track the Reds (2nd Half, Week 12)

LRCW

Why? I would rather have Wood out there than most of the starters right now and him being a rookie shouldn't make a difference. How many playoff games have Cueto' date=' Volquez, and Bailey pitched in?[/quote']

It has nothing to do with him being a rookie, and everything to do with the fact that he's pretty much a 6 inning pitcher, who is much more hittable than Volquez or Bailey. Since coming back up from his A ball stinit, Voltron has been nearly unhittable, and excluding his dizziness spell, Bailey has been nearly as good. Wood has been great this year, but if all are pitching well, which they are now, he's got the worst stuff by far.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has nothing to do with him being a rookie, and everything to do with the fact that he's pretty much a 6 inning pitcher, who is much more hittable than Volquez or Bailey. Since coming back up from his A ball stinit, Voltron has been nearly unhittable, and excluding his dizziness spell, Bailey has been nearly as good. Wood has been great this year, but if all are pitching well, which they are now, he's got the worst stuff by far.

And he's the only lefty. If the Reds get stuck playing the Phillies, you can count on him being there.

And he's the only lefty. If the Reds get stuck playing the Phillies, you can count on him being there.

They're all going to be on the roster, regardless. The one that isn't in the rotation, my money is on Wood (unless they're matched up with Philly), will be used out of the pen. They'd be stupid not to have them all on the roster.

They're all going to be on the roster, regardless. The one that isn't in the rotation, my money is on Wood (unless they're matched up with Philly), will be used out of the pen. They'd be stupid not to have them all on the roster.

How many pitchers are you putting on the roster? They're probably only going to have 11, there's no need for more with all the off days.

Arroyo

Cueto

Volquez

Wood

Bailey

Cordero

Chapman

Masset

Rhodes

Bray

Ondrusek

Smith

Lecure

If they are taking a long man, I'd much rather it be Lecure. He's used to that role.

How many pitchers are you putting on the roster? They're probably only going to have 11, there's no need for more with all the off days.

Arroyo

Cueto

Volquez

Wood

Bailey

Cordero

Chapman

Masset

Rhodes

Bray

Ondrusek

Smith

Lecure

If they are taking a long man, I'd much rather it be Lecure. He's used to that role.

I know they're only taking 11. Not sure why you wouldn't take your best guys. I don't care what role they're in, Bailey and Wood are both better than LeCure.

You're going to leave the guy with the best stuff off the roster?

Unless he just blows up in his next start he'll be there.

Who has determined him with better stuff? You?

Wood Volquez

Record: 5-4 4-3

ERA: 3.46 4.45

Innings: 96.1 56.2

Hits: 82 52

Earned Runs: 37 28

HR: 8 6

HBP/BB: 28 37

K: 80 59

There's a huge difference in the playoffs between a W and and L in that 3-4 ERA range. Wood has better control and is less likely to give free passes.

I know they're only taking 11. Not sure why you wouldn't take your best guys. I don't care what role they're in, Bailey and Wood are both better than LeCure.

Because neither one of those guys have pitched out of the bullpen. It's different. Some guys can adjust, some can't. I wouldn't be willing to experiment in the playoffs.

Who has determined him with better stuff? You?

Wood Volquez

Record: 5-4 4-3

ERA: 3.46 4.45

Innings: 96.1 56.2

Hits: 82 52

Earned Runs: 37 28

HR: 8 6

HBP/BB: 28 37

K: 80 59

There's a huge difference in the playoffs between a W and and L in that 3-4 ERA range. Wood has better control and is less likely to give free passes.

If you don't think Volquez has the best stuff of the starters, you're mistaken.

Bailey did last season did he not?

No. Not in the Majors anyway.

He's made one relief appearance since 2005. It was earlier this year in AAA. If I remember correctly him and somebody else shared a rehab start down in Louisville. So he knew what inning he's be going in. Giving him plenty of time to get ready. Pretty much like a start.

Travis Wood hasn't had a relief appearance since 2005 either.

Volquez threw against Pittsburgh, Arizona, and Milwaukee...where he walked 4 guys.

Wood had St Louis, Colorado, and San Diego, as well as Arizona and Houston. In those 5 games Wood had 5 walks total.

If you want to say Volquez is better eye candy, fine. Give me the guy that gets it done and has all year.

Can he eventually have better stuff, absolutely. But until he starts locating all pitches he is simply good for the eyes.