When is Fairview Going to Schedule Someone?

Ram

Build confidence? You do know that Ashland has won the last two games, but Raceland has a three game win streak before that? Confidence? Early exit? Third round is pretty decent in the playoffs and three rounds out of five is not early. Raceland routinely makes it three rounds.

But, this thread is about Fairview. So, Fairviews goal is to win 8 games? If that is the goal, then congratulations, I guess they will achieve that. At some point, to build your program up, you have to begin to venture into games that will challenge your team to achieve what is not expected and prepare them for deeper playoff wins. But, if Coach McPeek wants 8 wins a year, more power to him.

As for the first paragraph you are absolutely right.. I couldn't had said it better. :thumb:

As for the second paragraph I will just say and in reference to your earlier post comments on coach Tackett, when he was at FHS he wanted to get past FHS's game with Raceland being the Eagles season super bowl. I do think coach McPeek wants more than that as well, just has a different idea on how to get there and that is fine and his choice.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, what. They'll lose early in the playoffs just like Raceland will. The only difference will be that they will probably win at least 8 games for the season. Everyone says playing Ashland helps Raceland for playoffs, how? It's a loss early in the season , nothing more. Maybe Raceland should schedule more 1A teams and build up confidence.

Uh?:idunno:,are you saying that playing bigger schools (or better said playing teams that can beat you) makes no difference?

How many district titles has Fairview won?...... I honestly don't know but I would guess no more than three or four.

I believe that Raceland has around 18-19 District championship trophies in the case. Raceland has far more playoff appearances/game than Fairview and some of those starting in 1974 were when you had to win the district to go, not come in 2nd,3rd or 4th. Also, look at LCA's strength of schedule and they have practically owned our district since they came in and have regional titles and a class A state title as well. So, I realize that there are other factors and other methods but I wouldn't say that scheduling doesn't matter or padding a schedule for wins does.

I personally don't have a problem with their scheduling. They are winning, people in Westwood are excited, they are getting media attention, and the kids are having fun I am sure. That is really all that matters. There aren't any teams in our area winning the state title anytime soon. So why not play a schedule that you can succeed with, try to win a game or two in the playoffs, and let everyone remember in 10 years that Fairview won 9 or 10 games in 2010. I would rather beat Boyd Co. then lose to Ashland, I am not a fan of a good loss!

I'm a big an advocate of playing a tough schedule as anyone, but it's hard to fault Fairview much because the bigger schools on their schedule are fielding absolutely horrible teams. Fairview is one of the state's 20 smallest football schools, so I really don't think you can expect them to realistically take on bigger schools every week.

I'm a big an advocate of playing a tough schedule as anyone, but it's hard to fault Fairview much because the bigger schools on their schedule are fielding absolutely horrible teams. Fairview is one of the state's 20 smallest football schools, so I really don't think you can expect them to realistically take on bigger schools every week.

I don't think that anyone is saying they should schedule bigger and/or better schools every week, just add someone (1or2 anyway) out of district that has a good winning program that will at least challenge you.

I probably have said too much and was just giving an opinion. Truth is that Fairview has a very good football team and could win our district this season. Fairview's schedule is their choice and I am certainly no expert and am sure that they have their reasons for scheduling weak.

Good luck to Fairview with the exception of their home district game on Oct. 8th. :sssh::p

I don't know Fairview's scheduling situation, so let me ask this ... how many of their 10 games are teams they essentially have to play, meaning district games, conference games and local rivals?

How many of those games would be considered electives?

Raceland, LCA,Paris and Nicholas Co. are their district games that they have to play. Raceland is their biggest rival and they are also district. I don't know of any others that they consider a rival,maybe Boyd but imo they could add and or subtract anyone bsides their district games depending pn how long their current contracts with teams on their scedule runns. Someone at FHS would have to abswer that.

Raceland, LCA,Paris and Nicholas Co. are their district games that they have to play. Raceland is their biggest rival and they are also district. I don't know of any others that they consider a rival,maybe Boyd.
If they are in a conference, as a poster or two had alluded, those are must-play games, too. I don't know how many of those there are.

If they are in a conference, as a poster or two had alluded, those are must-play games, too. I don't know how many of those there are.

I added some more on my post that you quoted. I must admit that I am unsure on conference games. I would say that East Carter and Raceland are conference games but I don't thnk that anyone in conference (EKC) puts a strong if any emphasis at all on conference. District is what matters to mostband jmo but the EKC is usually paid more attention to in basketball season, there is more room to schedule enough conference games. With only 10 football games and having to schedule district games leaves some schools not in the same district not enough room to add enough conference games on the schedule. Again, I honestly am not sure about who is in this conference in that our main concern is district, any coference if there is one would not be a top priority, jmo. Maybe Ram would know if there is an EKC football conference and who is in it.

ps- sorry for the time lapse between m y replies to you. My hands are cramping up (another pleasure that goes along with M.S........aarrggh!) and am having trouble typing.

Sorry to hear about that, oldrambler ... and take whatever time you need.

Thanks so much weatsider.

As I was saying,maybe Ram or someone else can give more ino on if there is football conference. I do know that several years ago Fairview came up with a football conference. R. Vanderhoof (Raceland coach at that time) did not seem interested in adjusting schedules to get all the games needed. I do knpw that in football that the district is what matters and Raceland tries to " schedule up" for lack of a better term to get ready for playoff competition.

Someone please correct me if I am mistaken on this, I do not want to give any false information. Ram,Ramfan Coach do you remember any of this? I believe it was before TCA came into the school system/fan base.

Thanks so much weatsider.

As I was saying,maybe Ram or someone else can give more ino on if there is football conference. I do know that several years ago Fairview came up with a football conference. R. Vanderhoof (Raceland coach at that time) did not seem interested in adjusting schedules to get all the games needed. I do knpw that in football that the district is what matters and Raceland tries to " schedule up" for lack of a better term to get ready for playoff competition.

Someone please correct me if I am mistaken on this, I do not want to give any false information. Ram,Ramfan Coach do you remember any of this? I believe it was before TCA came into the school system/fan base.

OR, All I've know is district. Every team out their plays for the district. You never hear about EKC or whatever. But I bet if Boyd, E Carter and others start building on their programs and start coming up year in year out with very good teams I bet I know a school that will drop them like a hot tatter!!! Of course. Thats JMO!!!:eek:

As oldramber said, Raceland, LCA, Paris, and Nicholas County are the District games. Fairview is a member of the EKC and has to play "some" conference games. Raceland is also in the conference and finds dates for quality out of district games. If a team does not schedule enough conference games they are allowed to count other games as conference games. For instance, LCA has been an EKC game for Raceland the last two years. LCA is not in the EKC but due to the fact that Raceland did not have the required conference games they had to include another opponent as a conference game.

East Carter, West Carter, Lewis County, and Raceland are EKC games for Fairview. That still leaves Bracken County, Boyd County, and Paintsville that are elective games.

Wast Carter, West Carter, Lewis County, and Raceland are EKC games for Fairview. That still leaves Bracken County, Boyd County, and Paintsville that are elective games.
Under normal circumstances, Boyd County and Paintsville would be reasonable opponents ... it just so happens that both programs are way down right now.