Nelson County 17 Warren Central 10

Jim Schue

Nelson County's defense holds on fourth and 4 with about two minutes left to beat the visiting Dragons.

The Cardinals forced two fourth-quarter turnovers and held off several deep WC drives in the first half. The Dragons' only TD came on a 98-yard KO return.

Quentin Brooks (108 yards on the ground) had two first-quarter TDs to give NC the early lead, but the WC defense was strong after that, forcing five NC fumbles and recovering three. Rainy weather complicated things for the offenses.

Disappointing loss for the Dragons. This was a lot like the Christian County game in that they were able to move the ball until they got down around the red zone. #44 Demonte Smith had a heck of a game, but his fumbles were also killer.

I thought it was incredible that Nelson County stopped Central on three straight possessions that began in their territory, especially the back to back possessions inside their own 20. Very impressive showing by the Cardinals.

I think Warren Central will be fine, but this was a bit of a step back in my mind. The defense has been the strength of this team all year, and they stood strong after the early lapses, but the offense is still severely lacking.

Disappointing loss for the Dragons. This was a lot like the Christian County game in that they were able to move the ball until they got down around the red zone. #44 Demonte Smith had a heck of a game, but his fumbles were also killer.

I thought it was incredible that Nelson County stopped Central on three straight possessions that began in their territory, especially the back to back possessions inside their own 20. Very impressive showing by the Cardinals.

I think Warren Central will be fine, but this was a bit of a step back in my mind. The defense has been the strength of this team all year, and they stood strong after the early lapses, but the offense is still severely lacking.

It seemed like they would have had a lot more success through the air on a dry field -- as the rain increased, they passed less and less (understandably so), especially after about five straight incompletions in the first half. I was impressed with how physical WC was against a Nelson team that hangs their hat on physicality.

This visit to John Hardin just before a bye week is setting up as an extremely interesting game for Nelson County.

It seemed like they would have had a lot more success through the air on a dry field -- as the rain increased, they passed less and less (understandably so), especially after about five straight incompletions in the first half. I was impressed with how physical WC was against a Nelson team that hangs their hat on physicality.

This visit to John Hardin just before a bye week is setting up as an extremely interesting game for Nelson County.

Central does not feature passing prominently anyway, but the rain did make it even worse.

The bottom line is that you cannot have opportunities the way they did and come away with so little. Three points on four trips inside the 20 is unacceptable.

Central does not feature passing prominently anyway, but the rain did make it even worse.

The bottom line is that you cannot have opportunities the way they did and come away with so little. Three points on four trips inside the 20 is unacceptable.

Rather than questioning Warren Central's offense, could it just possibly be that you are not giving Nelson County's defense enough credit? Nelson County does have a good, experienced team this season.

Rather than questioning Warren Central's offense, could it just possibly be that you are not giving Nelson County's defense enough credit? Nelson County does have a good, experienced team this season.

You mean when I said:

So yes, Nelson County's defense stepped up and stopped the Dragons. That doesn't change the fact that you can't be set up like that and come away with only 3 points. No matter the defense you cannot hope to win the game if you can't score more than a field goal when they turn it over inside their own 20.

This is the most physical Nelson County defensive line since 2005 when Nelson beat John Hardin regular season and Manual in the playoffs. Jake Snellen and Lemieux both very impressive in the early going.

2005 John Hardin beat Nelson 63-12. I think you meant the 04 season when Nelson won 10-0.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

So in 3 of Warren Centrals 4 games they have managed 2 offensive TD's?

Yep.

And again, all the credit in the world to the defenses that did that to Warren Central, but there is no way you can accept that from your offense. They have moved the ball very well until they get to the 20 yard line, and then they have been unable to convert.