1. 1. CIA Assassinations: Cool or Not Cool

• I'm cool with them
    • I'm NOT cool with them

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fiction

I don't believe this type activity is in keeping with the spirit of our country, but I'm not naive enough to believe that it hasn't happened on our side, or others?? In the words of Jack Nickolson--"You want the truth; you can't handle the truth"!!

For those that are cool with it, I'd assume you are cool with are president being assassinated as well?

Winner winner. You rolled right into my line of thinking. In the book I'm reading by Vince Flynn called "Term Limits" a group of former SEALS kills off 4 senators who they see as corrupt and causing harm to the country due to, in their opinion, the proclivity for outrageous spending. Their view is that these senators are no different than a foreign dictator that the CIA would take out in order to further the cause of the US or to prevent potential future harm/terrorism to the US.

While reading it I was thinking that with today's hostility towards govt being worse than I ever recall it and the rhetoric on both sides being so ugly that someone is going to use this rationale to take out a US political leader.

It made me question my belief that its cool to assassinate a foreign leader. I'm having trouble rationalizing my initial thought.

Surely, there is a group responsible for assassinations. Especially since it is stated policy to 'assassinate' American citizens deemed as threats (see previous thread in this forum on that).

So, if they have a group that is responsible for being 'the hammer', it is likely a lot of leaders look like 'nails' and it may be viewed as a quick fix.

I am sure they would like use this hammer on the leaders of totalitarian, closed regimes where other methods of behavior modification have failed - i.e. the 2 remaining Axis of evils - NK and Iran.

Its a tool that should be keep deep, deep inside the tool bag of foreign policy.

For those that are cool with it, I'd assume you are cool with are president being assassinated as well?

If some country has the "cajones" and is stupid enough to it, more power to them. And may God have mercy on the poor innocent souls of that country that have to deal with the consequences...

If some country has the "cajones" and is stupid enough to it, more power to them. And may God have mercy on the poor innocent souls of that country that have to deal with the consequences...

Can I ask why you're OK with the US being involved in assassinations? I could guess but I don't want to assume. We all have our reasons.

Edited by Clyde