Nationals vs. Braves updates (Strasburg start #5)

That Nats have scored 1 run in the last 19 innings that he's pitched.

Every team goes into slumps like that now and then. However in those situations when you are struggling with the bat, you need to play small ball and push just a couple runs across the plate. They haven't done that but instead have chosen to continue to swing away. The blame there falls on the manager.

I think the kids is the real deal, anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves.

The thing that is stuck in the back of my mind though is former Mets GM Steve Phillips breaking him down for Baseball Tonight.

He compared him to Prior(natural comparison, everyone is doing it), but he compared mechanics and arm angle, talking about the "w" motion both had and how it will lead to arm problems just like Prior.

I'm not a baseball guy so anyone have thoughts on that?

I think the kids is the real deal, anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves.

The thing that is stuck in the back of my mind though is former Mets GM Steve Phillips breaking him down for Baseball Tonight.

He compared him to Prior(natural comparison, everyone is doing it), but he compared mechanics and arm angle, talking about the "w" motion both had and how it will lead to arm problems just like Prior.

I'm not a baseball guy so anyone have thoughts on that?

While he might need to work on his mechanics to insure his health for the future, he will last longer than Prior did even if he doesn't change them. Prior was clearly overworked in college and in his early years in the MLB. He threw way too many innings at such an early age and his mechanics didn't help which further led injuries. The Nats are taking the right steps in conserving his pitch counts and innings worked to ensure a sustainable career for the young man.

I'm not going to lie, ESPN makes me want to see this guy be unsuccessful. I know that isn't nice, but I gotta be honest lol.

I'm a little torn on it, because he looks like when he's on, he's going to be unbelievable to watch. But I feel the same way as you about ESPN. They were falling all over themselves gushing last night, and trying to explain why the Braves were hitting him hard. Which isn't to say they were always getting hits, but they were putting the bat on the ball quite well.

ESPN makes me sick when it comes to players of his skill level. They are all over him and right now he is just a good pitcher. I mean yes he has good stuff but there is a lot to learn when it comes to pitching in the major leagues.

Pretty sure Dontrelle Willis had one of those "unbelievable" starts to his career and we see how that turned out.