KY Sr. All-Stars 90 KY Jr. All-Stars 89 @ Franklin County

I don't know Larry Bird and don't know what kind of a person he is or was. Did you know him well. I'll stand by my statement saying it's very unnecessary. I coached high school basketball for over 20 years and never allowed my boys to use trash talk. You can teach them any way you like, but to me building character is more important than talking filth to an opposing player in a ball game.

You associate, incorrectly, "trash talk" and "talking filth." That is what I was referring to as a blanket statement/generalization that is not true.

Larry Bird once came out of a timeout huddle for a last-second play and told Xavier McDaniel that the ball was coming to him at this spot and that Bird was going to catch it and score and X had no chance of stopping him. That's trash talk yet no bad words were used. I'd argue that the specific words used are irrelevant to the concept of "trash talking." Its the point being made that makes it "trash talking."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You associate, incorrectly, "trash talk" and "talking filth." That is what I was referring to as a blanket statement/generalization that is not true.

Larry Bird once came out of a timeout huddle for a last-second play and told Xavier McDaniel that the ball was coming to him at this spot and that Bird was going to catch it and score and X had no chance of stopping him. That's trash talk yet no bad words were used. I'd argue that the specific words used are irrelevant to the concept of "trash talking." Its the point being made that makes it "trash talking."

Isn't that just telling the truth? :)

Good point. Just read an article that they are deciding today if they are going to press charges against him. I would say if they move forward with that the self defense argument doesn't look real good.

Just reported on Ch 27 that charges would NOT be filed on Knowles. From all I have heard here in Winchester, it was self defense. The Bullitt Co police department thought so too.