CovCath 11 Bellevue 1

The Good: Brett Stayton went four for four with three singles and a Triple, scored two runs and knocked in four rbi's. What a great day for a young man who thought at mid season he was done playing baseball, due to a shoulder injury.

Brady Reese went three for three (three singles) a walk and scored a run.

Chris Gerwe although he gave up a HR to the Belleuve first batter the Tigers only got to him for two more hits and zero runs in his four innings.

The Bad and Ugly: Leaving ten men on base and some just terrible base running. CovCath on the game on Friday night just can't afford to leave so many men on and run the bases the way they did tonight.

Pee Wee's Place Offensive play of the game: CovCath top of the 1st, score 0-0. Reese drops down a perfect bunt, man on first no outs. Warning lays down a sac bunt but the pitcher throw the ball away for a E-1. Men on first and second and no outs. Klein draws a walks on a 3-2 count and with the bases loaded up comes Stayton. Now on the very first pitch, Stayton hits a rocket that clears the bases and goes into third standing up for a triple. Lankheit draws a walk so still no out and men on 1st and third. Siemer hits into a 5-4 FC but then steal second and now with 1 out runner are on second and third. Gerwe K's in his at bat for the second out but on a WP while Severson is at the plate both runners move up a base to now make the score 4-0 CovCath. Severson then draws a walk and when Martin flies out to RF but the young man drops the ball and the error allows two more runs to score to make it CovCath 6 Bellevue coming to bat.

BAWAC Inc. Defensive play of the game: Two plays one by Bellevue and one by CovCath.

CovCath top of the 4th inning and Gerwe hit a pop up that heads back behind home plate near the back stop but the Tigers catcher doesn't give up on the ball and make an outstanding catch.

Bellevue bottom of the 4th. First batter Young goes U-8 for the first out, but Lenz earns a double. Man on second one out. Thompson hit a hard ground ball to Lankheit at third and Jake looks the runner back to second and then throw to first to get the out, but Lenz on the throw is heading to third but as Warning catches the ball he throws a perfect strike back to Lankheit who tags the runner out at third for a 5-3-5 Double play to end the inning.

Grubers Grill star of the game: My man, Brett "Lazarus" Stayton.

CovCath pitching:

Chris Gerwe (W) 49 pitches 4 complete innings 16 PA 3 hits 1 run 1 earned run 2 walks 2 K's and 1 HR

Michael Hellman 15 pitches 1 inning 3 PA and 1 K

CovCath hitting:

Reese PA 1 run scored 3 hits and 1 walk

Warning 4 PA 2 runs scored 1 hit 1 walk and reached base via E-1

Klein 4 PA 1 hit 1 walk and 1 fc

Best CR 1st inning and 1 run scored

Best CR 3rd inning and 1 run scored

Best CR 4th inning and 1 run scored

Stayton 4 PA 2 runs scored 4 hits (Triple) and 4 rbi's

Lankheit 4 PA 1 hit 2 rbi's 2 walks 1 SF and 1 fc

Schlagbaum PR 5th inning and 1 run scored

Siemer 4 PA 1 run scored 1 rbi 1 walk 1 sb and 2 fc

Gerwe 3 PA and 1 K

Schneider 1 PA 1 hit 1 rbi and 1 sb

Severson 4 PA 1 run 1 hit 1 walk 1 k 1 hbp and 1 sb

Martin 4 PA and reached base via E-9

CovCath wins and moves on to play in the semi-finals of the Ninth Region on Friday night at 7pm (more like 8pm) against TBA at this writing.

I would like to take this time to thank CovCathiRadio and other who spoke so kindly of me on a another thread. I would also like to thank Logan Siemer for his gift to me of a CD called "To Where You Are" Featuring The Covington Catholic High School Chamber Choir that Logan proudly belong to. Thank you all.

Finally it was nice to talk to the many men in blue after the CovCath game and learn that even they read Theoldguy ramblings :sssh:. Thank you gentlemen as if it weren't for you, the kids wouldn't have games to play. I tip my hat to you all.:thumb:

Note: Lankheit did not get a hit in this game. Sorry for the type-o

During the game, Chris Gerwe just didn't look as sharp to me as I have seen him pitch this season, however after going back over my stats of the game, I have to say going four complete innings, throwing only 49 pitches and giving up only 3 hits with 2 walks ain't bad, no matter who you go up against! Congrats Chris.

Won't it be somewhat ironic if this CCH team wins the region?

VOR, these eight 2010 seniors had a team meeting at the end of the very first practice and they spoke about how the senior class from 09 had never won the Region, even with all the talent they had.

These senior set a goal for themselves to win the Region, not for the school, not for Krumps but for themselves, to show and prove to others that they too have talent but they have something even more special, they had the heart and the Spirit that will not die attitude, that has driven them to wait their turn to perform on the field and they, through 38 games have shown to me at least they are going to achieve their goal!

My favorite University of Kentucky Wildcats basketball were the unforgettable.

No one thought they had the talent, no one thought they had a chance to win, but they believed in themselves, they worked and worked hard and they played as a team. They picked each other up when they were down, and they truly loved each other.

That in a nut shell, is this years CovCath 2010 baseball team and I am proud to say, I have enjoyed watching them play more so than any other CovCath team I have seen play in my many years of watching CovCath baseball games.

Gentlemen as you have heard me tell Slag time after time, believe in yourself, as I believe in you too!

Won't it be somewhat ironic if this CCH team wins the region?

VOR, these eight 2010 seniors had a team meeting at the end of the very first practice and they spoke about how the senior class from 09 had never won the Region, even with all the talent they had.

These senior set a goal for themselves to win the Region, not for the school, not for Krumps but for themselves, to show and prove to others that they too have talent but they have something even more special, they had the heart and the Spirit that will not die attitude, that has driven them to wait their turn to perform on the field and they, through 38 games have shown to me at least they are going to achieve their goal!

My favorite University of Kentucky Wildcats basketball were the unforgettable.

No one thought they had the talent, no one thought they had a chance to win, but they believed in themselves, they worked and worked hard and they played as a team. They picked each other up when they were down, and they truly loved each other.

That in a nut shell, is this years CovCath 2010 baseball team and I am proud to say, I have enjoyed watching them play more so than any other CovCath team I have seen play in my many years of watching CovCath baseball games.

Gentlemen as you have heard me tell Slag time after time, believe in yourself, as I believe in you too!

VOR - I think that's a "yes.":laugh: