Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Summer Baseball

Featured Replies

I've been reading through a lot of threads here to see what kind of info is posted. I like some of the post-game rundowns that parents (?) are posting. Some good info in some of those.

 

The friendly back and forth on whose team is better, etc. is fun for those involved but I don't have a kid playing so there's not much to say there except to give analysis on the players I've seen.

 

I'll probably continue reading some but don't want to hurt any kid's/parent's feelings so I'll refrain from too much analysis, especially when I can't honestly say that a particular player is awesome.

 

So many parents look at kids when they're 13/14 years old and project them to be amazing high school players who will get a D1 scholarship. Having played with/against players who played college ball, professional baseball and the NFL, the kids that are truly exceptional are quite obvious. Your son who is batting 7th on his freshman team is probably not going to be the man when his senior year of HS rolls around, and sign with UK. Sorry to burst bubbles but look how many really good players are here in NKY each year and some of them don't play college baseball at all while others sign at really small schools you've never heard of.

 

You want an experiment? Look at the 5 or 6 kids being discussed as POY and track where each goes to college. That will tell you how difficult it is.

 

It's just not me to build up local kids when I don't see the ability there. And so from now on I'll just keep my observations to myself.

  • Replies 87
  • Views 15.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
I've been reading through a lot of threads here to see what kind of info is posted. I like some of the post-game rundowns that parents (?) are posting. Some good info in some of those.

 

The friendly back and forth on whose team is better, etc. is fun for those involved but I don't have a kid playing so there's not much to say there except to give analysis on the players I've seen.

 

I'll probably continue reading some but don't want to hurt any kid's/parent's feelings so I'll refrain from too much analysis, especially when I can't honestly say that a particular player is awesome.

 

So many parents look at kids when they're 13/14 years old and project them to be amazing high school players who will get a D1 scholarship. Having played with/against players who played college ball, professional baseball and the NFL, the kids that are truly exceptional are quite obvious. Your son who is batting 7th on his freshman team is probably not going to be the man when his senior year of HS rolls around, and sign with UK. Sorry to burst bubbles but look how many really good players are here in NKY each year and some of them don't play college baseball at all while others sign at really small schools you've never heard of.

 

You want an experiment? Look at the 5 or 6 kids being discussed as POY and track where each goes to college. That will tell you how difficult it is.

It's just not me to build up local kids when I don't see the ability there. And so from now on I'll just keep my observations to myself.

 

Cotton- Miami (Oh) for baseball

Pugh- UC for football

Sexton- He's a junior

Tiberi- He's a freshman

Norton- He's a junior

Cotton- Miami (Oh) for baseball

Pugh- UC for football

Sexton- He's a junior

Tiberi- He's a freshman

Norton- He's a junior

 

 

Will Pugh walk on for baseball too?

 

So there are only 2 seniors good enough to be considered for POY? That's surprising, at least to me.

 

What's the opinion of Sexton in these parts? I know him a little and obviously I've seen him play a few times the last couple years.

  • Author
Will Pugh walk on for baseball too?

 

So there are only 2 seniors good enough to be considered for POY? That's surprising, at least to me.

 

What's the opinion of Sexton in these parts? I know him a little and obviously I've seen him play a few times the last couple years.

 

What do you mean whats the opinion on Sexton?

Just curious what others here think about his game. I've only seen Dixie a couple times this spring.

 

I'm not trying to bait anyone, just looking for honest opinion. Obviously folks here know his stats. Has anyone seen him play?

 

(and sorry, I don't know which posters are fans of which teams...i haven't been on here long enough.)

  • Author
Just curious what others here think about his game. I've only seen Dixie a couple times this spring.

 

I'm not trying to bait anyone, just looking for honest opinion.

 

(and sorry, I don't know which posters are fans of which teams...i haven't been on here long enough.)

 

He's a good player. You can tell he's one of the more advanced players in NKY. He has a great fastball with an even better breaking ball. His fastball tops out anywhere from 84-87. His hitting this year is exceptional. Here is his stats straight from cincinnati.com.

 

 

#7 Sexton, Tyler (Junior) - P

Ht: 72", Wt: 200lbs.

 

Cumulative Season Statistics

Pitching App Games Wins Losses ER ERA Hits BB IP Runs K Saves

8 4 4 2 7 1.31 22 16 37.3 11 51 0

 

Hitting Games AB Hits BB 2B 3B HR RBI AVG SB R K

29 85 39 8 14 0 4 21 0.459 7 19 13

  • Author

As you can tell I am a Dixie fan as my son plays for the freshman team. Also I went to Dixie along with some family. Truthfully I love Dixie but I just want to see a good game of baseball. But I will tell you a good player when I see one. Im not biased on players just given what school they go to.

As you can tell I am a Dixie fan as my son plays for the freshman team. Also I went to Dixie along with some family. Truthfully I love Dixie but I just want to see a good game of baseball. But I will tell you a good player when I see one. Im not biased on players just given what school they go to.

 

It's ok to be a fan. I value your opinion, especially since you've seen him more than I have recently.

 

I like Tyler quite a bit. In terms of local HS baseball he's very good. I've seen him play the last 2-3 years, primarily in the summer.

 

He hits with power and he's been an outstanding pitcher. He doesn't have great foot speed so 3B/1B would be his logical spot(s) I'd say. I've never seen him play 1B and I'm not sure he has the hands for it. He has the arm for 3B but does he have the glove and side-to-side quickness required to play there in college?

 

Do you have any idea if he's received interest from any colleges?

Cotton- Miami (Oh) for baseball

Pugh- UC for football

Sexton- He's a junior

Tiberi- He's a freshman

Norton- He's a junior

 

Pugh is not playing football at UC. That is Nick West. And what about Hoskins from Ryle?

2010 17U Morse Mustangs:

 

Jacob Bodner (Boyle County)

Jacob Fain (Garrard County)

Tre Owens (Lincoln County)

Isaac Smith (Madison Central)

Vincent Bruington (Breckinridge County)

Cain Troxell (Pulaski County)

Jordan Cumpston (Franklin County)

Martin Cross (Russell County)

Darrell King (McCreary Central)

Jacob Dixon (McCreary Central)

Timmy Barnhorst (Dixie Heights)

Taylor Sears (Somerset)

David Vanhook (Somerset)

Colin Buckner (Mercer County)

Matthew Honchel (Mercer County)

Clay Cinnamon (Mercer County)

 

Last year as 16s, this group won the KY USSSA and KY Junior American Legion State Titles

2010 17U Morse Mustangs:

 

Jacob Bodner (Boyle County)

Jacob Fain (Garrard County)

Tre Owens (Lincoln County)

Isaac Smith (Madison Central)

Vincent Bruington (Breckinridge County)

Cain Troxell (Pulaski County)

Jordan Cumpston (Franklin County)

Martin Cross (Russell County)

Darrell King (McCreary Central)

Jacob Dixon (McCreary Central)

Timmy Barnhorst (Dixie Heights)

Taylor Sears (Somerset)

David Vanhook (Somerset)

Colin Buckner (Mercer County)

Matthew Honchel (Mercer County)

Clay Cinnamon (Mercer County)

 

Last year as 16s, this group won the KY USSSA and KY Junior American Legion State Titles

 

Nice looking team, they definitely got some players. Is this where the top 12th region players play for that age group? Two state titles is also impressive, how is the competition for these tournaments?

  • Author
It's ok to be a fan. I value your opinion, especially since you've seen him more than I have recently.

 

I like Tyler quite a bit. In terms of local HS baseball he's very good. I've seen him play the last 2-3 years, primarily in the summer.

 

He hits with power and he's been an outstanding pitcher. He doesn't have great foot speed so 3B/1B would be his logical spot(s) I'd say. I've never seen him play 1B and I'm not sure he has the hands for it. He has the arm for 3B but does he have the glove and side-to-side quickness required to play there in college?

 

Do you have any idea if he's received interest from any colleges?

 

My son told me that Tyler said Brescia offered him. Thats the only school as of yet.

  • Author

I also heard he got offered from Brescia by current Brescia cathcer, Corey Moore.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.