Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

South Oldham 49 Owen County 45

Featured Replies

Two solid 8th region teams in knock-down dragout Monday in Crestwood...

 

Interesting game because the Saturday storm knocked out the two scoreboards...SOHS had to use a wrestling "scoreboard" - kept on the scorer's table - to keep the score and time. The two coaches had to lean out onto the court to know what time it was...

 

Rianna Gayheart was simply magnificent in the first period - darn near unstoppable - as she scored 15 first quarter points (4 threes). The rest of Owen scored only four in the period, but the Lady Rebels led, 19-11, after one.

 

But South started fighting through the Owen County screens and Gayheart got only 5 or 6 shots off the entire rest of the ballgame, hitting just one more field goal and scoring five points (20 for the game). South outscored Owen in each of the remaining periods, and finally prevailed by 4.

 

Not a really "pretty" game as both teams were very aggressive and physical on the defensive end, making it very difficult for either to get into any kind of offensive rhythm. But kudos to both teams and both coaches for a hard-fought chess match that came down to the final minute and kept fans on the edge of their seats.

 

Like all the girls 8th region teams this year, these two teams both have talent and the opportunity to win the region. But both continue to have questions that will have to be answered before heading to Independence for the region tournament.

 

For South, the Lady Dragons need to play their brand of suffocating defense for all four quarters, not just three. The next time, the first quarter deficit might be too much to overcome.... Owen needs to find another scorer besides Gayheart. It might be one of the freshman (Neely?) or perhaps Toole on the inside. But when Gayheart was shut out, Owen struggled to score, scoring less than 10 points in each of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th periods... Someone has to take up the slack for Owen to take the pressure off Gayheart.

Still waiting on South to come around...

 

IMO they have the most ready talent in the region. Good teams have a way of coming together towards the end of the year, so if they can put their early season struggles behind them I think they may still be the team to beat come tournament time.

 

Huge game on Friday night with Anderson County. For some strange reason The girls game is in AC and the boys teams are playing each other at South. Maybe this would be better as a boy/girl....but what do I know. haha. Anyway, South spanked Anderson over the summer but a lot has happened with both these teams since then. Right now, Anderson is sitting atop most of the polls in the 8th while south is close behind. Could this be a preview of the regional final??

Edited by bugatti

Two solid 8th region teams in knock-down dragout Monday in Crestwood...

 

Interesting game because the Saturday storm knocked out the two scoreboards...SOHS had to use a wrestling "scoreboard" - kept on the scorer's table - to keep the score and time. The two coaches had to lean out onto the court to know what time it was...

 

Rianna Gayheart was simply magnificent in the first period - darn near unstoppable - as she scored 15 first quarter points (4 threes). The rest of Owen scored only four in the period, but the Lady Rebels led, 19-11, after one.

 

But South started fighting through the Owen County screens and Gayheart got only 5 or 6 shots off the entire rest of the ballgame, hitting just one more field goal and scoring five points (20 for the game). South outscored Owen in each of the remaining periods, and finally prevailed by 4.

 

Not a really "pretty" game as both teams were very aggressive and physical on the defensive end, making it very difficult for either to get into any kind of offensive rhythm. But kudos to both teams and both coaches for a hard-fought chess match that came down to the final minute and kept fans on the edge of their seats.

 

Like all the girls 8th region teams this year, these two teams both have talent and the opportunity to win the region. But both continue to have questions that will have to be answered before heading to Independence for the region tournament.

 

For South, the Lady Dragons need to play their brand of suffocating defense for all four quarters, not just three. The next time, the first quarter deficit might be too much to overcome.... Owen needs to find another scorer besides Gayheart. It might be one of the freshman (Neely?) or perhaps Toole on the inside. But when Gayheart was shut out, Owen struggled to score, scoring less than 10 points in each of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th periods... Someone has to take up the slack for Owen to take the pressure off Gayheart.

 

Very well said CM!!! Gayheart is the real deal and she has some moves/counter moves that make her particularly difficult to guard. I simply like her competitiveness and her willingness to step up for her team. Very nice player.

 

South did not come out ready to play in the first quarter IMO- and defense will either win it for them or be their demise in the end. Tough road game against Anderson Friday night- hope they are ready.

 

At this point there are several teams that have the potential to win it all-

Anderson, Simon Kenton if Wainscott gets healthy, Walton Verona, South Oldham, and Owen. And I still would not rule out Oldham County either. Much will depend on seating from district tournament play and who comes out as the winners or losers. It is going to be a great rest of the year. If I had to bet my money on one team right now it would be Anderson.

I hope they get to play. The weather doesn't look good.

  • Author

I agree with you, Crazy. I see 6 teams as being capable of putting together a three game run...my current rankings would be:

 

Anderson County

South Oldham

Simon Kenton (with Wainscott)

Walton-Verona

Oldham County

Owen County

 

It bears noting that I picked South four spots ahead of Owen, who they've split two games with, and who they beat by only four. In other words, we're splitting hairs here among the top 6, IMO.

 

Like you, I think Oldham County has real potential, especially with Lape starting to get hot here late in the season. Her performance against Spencer the other night was spectacular, even considering the fact Spencer is down.

 

Several other teams will be king - er - "queen-makers" come tourney time. Carroll County, Shelby County, and Gallatin County are all capable of taking down any of the above 6 teams. I just don't feel any of these three have the ability to win three in a row in the region tournament. But Shelby has already beaten Owen and South, Gallatin beat Oldham, etc., etc.

 

I also agree with you, MagicFan...why is the AC-South girls game in Lburg and the AC-South boys game in Crestwood??? As a result, Pegasus Sports is only going to be able to do one of the two (Larry Basham and Cory Quisenberry will be in Crestwood for the boys game)

1) Walton-Verona has the best overall package; IMO top team talent-wise, with two large inside players and a stable of guards. Not confident or really quick on the perimeter, though, and must break out mentally to beat SK.

 

2) Simon-Kenton is next; Wainscott willb be back; playing at home in region tourney; not deep but used to cutting down the nets. Until they are dethrowned ... they are tops.

 

3-4) Anderson Co./South Oldham - both with lots of young talent, athletic but not always consistent; first meeting means nothing with these two teams: neither team is complete inside and outside.

 

5-6) Double-Os are next: Oldham and Owen are capable of getting through three games.

 

After that there some one-game upset-capable teams, but no teams who can win it all.

1) Walton-Verona has the best overall package; IMO top team talent-wise, with two large inside players and a stable of guards. Not confident or really quick on the perimeter, though, and must break out mentally to beat SK.

 

2) Simon-Kenton is next; Wainscott willb be back; playing at home in region tourney; not deep but used to cutting down the nets. Until they are dethrowned ... they are tops.

 

3-4) Anderson Co./South Oldham - both with lots of young talent, athletic but not always consistent; first meeting means nothing with these two teams: neither team is complete inside and outside.

 

5-6) Double-Os are next: Oldham and Owen are capable of getting through three games.

 

After that there some one-game upset-capable teams, but no teams who can win it all.

 

 

Have you actually seen Anderson play? Not saying that they are the favorite, but they might be the most "balanced" team in the region. No one has a better center, their guards have been pretty good, and McKee is a pretty nice player. Plus, they play a tough schedule and should be ready post-season time. That being said, I'd say South Oldham has the most experienced talent in the region, and should be the favorite.

Yep, seen 'em all.

1) Walton-Verona has the best overall package; IMO top team talent-wise, with two large inside players and a stable of guards. Not confident or really quick on the perimeter, though, and must break out mentally to beat SK.

 

2) Simon-Kenton is next; Wainscott willb be back; playing at home in region tourney; not deep but used to cutting down the nets. Until they are dethrowned ... they are tops.

 

3-4) Anderson Co./South Oldham - both with lots of young talent, athletic but not always consistent; first meeting means nothing with these two teams: neither team is complete inside and outside.

 

5-6) Double-Os are next: Oldham and Owen are capable of getting through three games.

 

After that there some one-game upset-capable teams, but no teams who can win it all.

 

I agree with the first 4 teams but there is a huge drop off to Owen and Oldham County. Owen may not make it past Henry Co. in the first round of the districts.

  • Author

I've seen all six - most of them multiple times - and, while I REALLY LIKE W-V, they don't fit the role of favorite right now. Very talented team, yes, and supremely well-coached. Dixon may well be the 8th region POY.

 

But their propensity to turn over the ball - a lot - makes it hard to pick them as a favorite. They struggled to handle the ball against a very good - but middle-of-the-region North Oldham team. Oldham had no real problem with North. South absolutely destroyed North with their defense. If WV can figure out the turnover problem, their prospects go way up in a hurry...if not, they'll have serious issues against teams that have good presses.

 

Not sure when you saw Oldham, but they are arguably the most improved team since the early part of the season. The addition of Lape and her growth has been a major difference-maker for them. South struggled to win by 8 at home vs Oldham, winning each period by 2 points...

 

Anderson has simply been extraordinarily impressive, despite their youth.

I might be a little biased but I think Anderson has the best 4/5 combo in the region...and im not sure it's even close. If andersons guards can keep up their steady play they are going to be a tough out.

 

 

That being said, I still think South Oldham will be the team to beat in the regional tournament.

I might be a little biased but I think Anderson has the best 4/5 combo in the region...and im not sure it's even close. If andersons guards can keep up their steady play they are going to be a tough out.

 

 

That being said, I still think South Oldham will be the team to beat in the regional tournament.

 

I might be a little biased but I think Walton has the best 4/5 combo (plus Judy will be back next week to add to the frontline depth). Dixon and Sandlin are pretty good.

 

I still feel Simon will be the team to beat in the tournament - home floor. I'm still not convinced that South can score enough points to win three tough games. Draw will be very important.

 

But, if the tournament started right now - I would really like Anderson's chances.

I've seen all six - most of them multiple times - and, while I REALLY LIKE W-V, they don't fit the role of favorite right now. Very talented team, yes, and supremely well-coached. Dixon may well be the 8th region POY.

 

But their propensity to turn over the ball - a lot - makes it hard to pick them as a favorite. They struggled to handle the ball against a very good - but middle-of-the-region North Oldham team. Oldham had no real problem with North. South absolutely destroyed North with their defense. If WV can figure out the turnover problem, their prospects go way up in a hurry...if not, they'll have serious issues against teams that have good presses.

 

Not sure when you saw Oldham, but they are arguably the most improved team since the early part of the season. The addition of Lape and her growth has been a major difference-maker for them. South struggled to win by 8 at home vs Oldham, winning each period by 2 points...

 

Anderson has simply been extraordinarily impressive, despite their youth.

 

I agree with your assessment of WV- guard play under pressure is the big question. I believe Dixon is very tough but if you cannot get her the ball, they may struggle. I like Owen and what I saw against South Oldham. They are well coached and Gayheart is the real deal- big question there is will some other players step up more to offset the defensive attention that she will draw. I thought # 4 and # 15 both did that some but they will need more from post play as well. As for Anderson, tonight's game against South Oldham may say alot as to who is getting better with all that young talent on both sides. Anderson has solid guard play, excellent ball handling and passing skills and the inside game is there as well. They are patient and they wait for you to make a mistake. South, at times, is very impatient and will settle for the 3 instead of making the extra pass. I give the edge to Anderson.

I agree with your assessment of WV- guard play under pressure is the big question. I believe Dixon is very tough but if you cannot get her the ball, they may struggle. I like Owen and what I saw against South Oldham. They are well coached and Gayheart is the real deal- big question there is will some other players step up more to offset the defensive attention that she will draw. I thought # 4 and # 15 both did that some but they will need more from post play as well. As for Anderson, tonight's game against South Oldham may say alot as to who is getting better with all that young talent on both sides. Anderson has solid guard play, excellent ball handling and passing skills and the inside game is there as well. They are patient and they wait for you to make a mistake. South, at times, is very impatient and will settle for the 3 instead of making the extra pass. I give the edge to Anderson.

 

Couldn't agree more.

  • Author
I agree with your assessment of WV- guard play under pressure is the big question. I believe Dixon is very tough but if you cannot get her the ball, they may struggle. I like Owen and what I saw against South Oldham. They are well coached and Gayheart is the real deal- big question there is will some other players step up more to offset the defensive attention that she will draw. I thought # 4 and # 15 both did that some but they will need more from post play as well. As for Anderson, tonight's game against South Oldham may say alot as to who is getting better with all that young talent on both sides. Anderson has solid guard play, excellent ball handling and passing skills and the inside game is there as well. They are patient and they wait for you to make a mistake. South, at times, is very impatient and will settle for the 3 instead of making the extra pass. I give the edge to Anderson.

 

This is the big question in Owenton. There's absolutely no questioning Gayheart's talent. And I think they have the supporting cast, but I haven't seen it step up in the big games yet. Toole on the inside and Neely, the freshman, on the outside would seem to be the most likely candidates, but if someone doesn't step up to support Gayheart offensively, Owen would seem a real dark horse in the region tourney.

 

I had Owen ranked higher in the preseason, but right now I see them as the definite #6 among this bunch...but there's still a whole month to go, so hold all bets!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.