Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

City of Paris

Featured Replies

Paris and Bourbon County are 5-32 on the year,What is up here?This was once a basketball rich town but over the last few years it been like this I'm stunned..Anybody from the area have an answer is it internal school issues or the talent just not playing ball there?Like i said these are 2 basketball schools over the years..Is consolidation finally on the for front also?:confused:

I'd be surprised if they ever consolidated.

The talent is not there. There is some good young talent in Paris Middle... For the most part Paris has been more competitive this year than in the past, but there have been a few games that they have looked horrible.

They won't consolidate.

 

Why?

They won't consolidate.

I'm sure that was said about Maysville-Mason County some years ago.

Why?

 

Athletics will certainly NEVER be the reason for consolidation. Consolidation will only take place because of budget issues. As far as why both teams are bad....I have to agree with JimmyV. Talent is bad. Bourbon's best player is a Freshman. He has absolutely no help. Paris has a few good players but from what I hear those players aren't fully committed to the team. Bourbon lacks size. Paris lacks numbers. The freshman team at Paris consists of five freshman, three eighth graders. One quote earlier said these two schools have decent middle school programs, but these kids Decommitt themselves from sports by the time they get to high school. There are kids at Bourbon County (and Paris I guess) that would rather go the YMCA and play pick up than be apart of the team. It's crazy. This is a very sore subject for me, being that I've seen how rich both programs have been in the past. I was around for the glory days of the eighties for Football, and the 90's for all the talented basketball players. In a span of about 10 years (90-00's), these two schools sent more kids to play college basketball than Lexington Catholic and Scott County combined. Chez Marks, Derek Robinson, Clinton Sims, Alvin Sims, Corey Dumphord, Preston LeMaster, Jason Earlywine, etc etc just to name a few. I can't remember the last one to go now? Craig Williams of Bourbon County played a little D3 ball I believe. Will the talent cycle back around? Or Is the community gone "sports dead." I think some of problems lie in the little league programs. There are too many basketball leagues for young kids. Each school has their own elementary program. There is upward, there is the YMCA league, there is "little hounds." When there was just the YMCA league for many years, this is where kids were learning how to play basketball and be competitive. Now everything is about every Tom, Dick and Harry getting the same minutes and the same shots. I could go on much longer, but I'll shut up for now. Somebody please respond to give me something more to gripe about on this subject. :laugh:

Athletics will certainly NEVER be the reason for consolidation. Consolidation will only take place because of budget issues. As far as why both teams are bad....I have to agree with JimmyV. Talent is bad. Bourbon's best player is a Freshman. He has absolutely no help. Paris has a few good players but from what I hear those players aren't fully committed to the team. Bourbon lacks size. Paris lacks numbers. The freshman team at Paris consists of five freshman, three eighth graders. One quote earlier said these two schools have decent middle school programs, but these kids Decommitt themselves from sports by the time they get to high school. There are kids at Bourbon County (and Paris I guess) that would rather go the YMCA and play pick up than be apart of the team. It's crazy. This is a very sore subject for me, being that I've seen how rich both programs have been in the past. I was around for the glory days of the eighties for Football, and the 90's for all the talented basketball players. In a span of about 10 years (90-00's), these two schools sent more kids to play college basketball than Lexington Catholic and Scott County combined. Chez Marks, Derek Robinson, Clinton Sims, Alvin Sims, Corey Dumphord, Preston LeMaster, Jason Earlywine, etc etc just to name a few. I can't remember the last one to go now? Craig Williams of Bourbon County played a little D3 ball I believe. Will the talent cycle back around? Or Is the community gone "sports dead." I think some of problems lie in the little league programs. There are too many basketball leagues for young kids. Each school has their own elementary program. There is upward, there is the YMCA league, there is "little hounds." When there was just the YMCA league for many years, this is where kids were learning how to play basketball and be competitive. Now everything is about every Tom, Dick and Harry getting the same minutes and the same shots. I could go on much longer, but I'll shut up for now. Somebody please respond to give me something more to gripe about on this subject. :laugh:

 

Our school played Bourbon County's(school) 7th/8th grade teams a few weeks ago and thought they were very good. BC's Coach said they were part of a conference that included Montgomery and others I assume. The high school JV beat Bracken County's 18-2 squad last night, so there must be some talent in the freshman-sophomore class at Bourbon.

Athletics will certainly NEVER be the reason for consolidation. Consolidation will only take place because of budget issues. As far as why both teams are bad....I have to agree with JimmyV. Talent is bad. Bourbon's best player is a Freshman. He has absolutely no help. Paris has a few good players but from what I hear those players aren't fully committed to the team. Bourbon lacks size. Paris lacks numbers. The freshman team at Paris consists of five freshman, three eighth graders. One quote earlier said these two schools have decent middle school programs, but these kids Decommitt themselves from sports by the time they get to high school. There are kids at Bourbon County (and Paris I guess) that would rather go the YMCA and play pick up than be apart of the team. It's crazy. This is a very sore subject for me, being that I've seen how rich both programs have been in the past. I was around for the glory days of the eighties for Football, and the 90's for all the talented basketball players. In a span of about 10 years (90-00's), these two schools sent more kids to play college basketball than Lexington Catholic and Scott County combined. Chez Marks, Derek Robinson, Clinton Sims, Alvin Sims, Corey Dumphord, Preston LeMaster, Jason Earlywine, etc etc just to name a few. I can't remember the last one to go now? Craig Williams of Bourbon County played a little D3 ball I believe. Will the talent cycle back around? Or Is the community gone "sports dead." I think some of problems lie in the little league programs. There are too many basketball leagues for young kids. Each school has their own elementary program. There is upward, there is the YMCA league, there is "little hounds." When there was just the YMCA league for many years, this is where kids were learning how to play basketball and be competitive. Now everything is about every Tom, Dick and Harry getting the same minutes and the same shots. I could go on much longer, but I'll shut up for now. Somebody please respond to give me something more to gripe about on this subject. :laugh:

 

Thanks for the information, but that still doesn't tell me why the two schools won't consolidate.

I'm sure that was said about Maysville-Mason County some years ago.

 

I was always told this merger was a money issue, but there are are always three parts to a story.

 

Thanks for the information, but that still doesn't tell me why the two schools won't consolidate.

 

I believe that the independent board of education (Paris) would have to request merger with the county board (Bourbon). Politics play a big role too.

Why do they need to merge? There is no need. There are plenty of people out there that do not want a merge. The only time anyone talks about a merge is when they talk about sports. There is more to high school than sports. If they ever do merge, it will not be within the next 10 years....

Why do they need to merge? There is no need. There are plenty of people out there that do not want a merge. The only time anyone talks about a merge is when they talk about sports. There is more to high school than sports. If they ever do merge, it will not be within the next 10 years....

 

JimV is exactly right. Sure a merge athletically sounds like an incredible idea. Academically, what is the need to merge? I also agree that this is a useless conversation because we are a decade away from that unless the state mandated.

The Paris Independant school system also has private donors. These donors have requested that Paris never consolidates with Bourbon County.

The Paris Independant school system also has private donors. These donors have requested that Paris never consolidates with Bourbon County.

 

The donors may request this but sadly I don't think that would be possible. Finances play a role in consolidation, you have got to look at whether or not you can operate not only next year, but for several years after. Many schools run on almost bare bone budgets the way the economy is.

 

For a school district to operate effectively, they either raise taxes or cut staff. There are some other options for independents. They can expand their boundaries only if there are people who want their property to be part of the independent school system (or vice versa). http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/160-00/045.PDF

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.