Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bowling Green 73 Warren Central 70

Featured Replies

I saw my facebook friends posting that BGHS had a big win tonight so I went to the scoreboard and found the final.

 

Anyone have details?

Pretty much copying my thoughts from elsewhere:

 

BG came out and took it to WC from the word go. As I said before, WC never led, and Bowling Green got out to a 13-4 lead right away, unfortunately that set the tone for the night, that being WC playing from behind. Central tied it a couple of times, once in the first half at 29. BG scored the last 4 of the half to go up 33-29 into the break. The third quarter into the beginning of the 4th was where BG really asserted themselves, and they got out to a 13 point lead with around 3:30 left. As some in the crowd started to file out, Central finally made their move, as King knocked down a couple of three balls and Fant had three crushing dunks, including a monster lob from an out of bounds play. Central got it all the way to 70-68, but as I mentioned, Ray hit a turnaround shot in the lane to put BG back up 4, and it was 73-70 with 3 seconds left when Boyce missed the front end of a 1 and 1, and a halfcourt shot by King went left.

 

I gotta give it to DJ Ray. I said in the pregame thread he would have to step up, and step up he did to the tune of 24 points. Huge. Chane got his points, but Ray hit some extremely crucial shots, and that was the difference on the BG side. In the matchup of Fant and Behanan, I'd have to give it to Fant in this round. Behanan might have outscored him, but that was most definitely on the performance from the free throw line. From the field, Fant was stellar. I was already saying how dumb I thought it was when they threw the lob to him because I thought there was no way he'd get it down, and he crushed it. I'd say George surprised a few people who were pretty down on him.

 

If I have one criticism of WC, and I have more, but only one that really cost them, it's free throw shooting. They can't have shot 50% from the free throw line, and it crushed them. For example, down 6 in the 4th, George was fouled from behind as he was going for a dunk, and they called an intentional foul. George missed both free throws, WC didn't get any points on the possession, and BG scored to go back up 8. It pushed them further back at a time they could have really put pressure on, getting within 2 much earlier rather than with about 30 seconds left in the game. Halcomb had a pretty poor night from the line as BG fans chanted "Ours is better" in a reference to having the better brother (They don't). Even one of the best shooters Jacob King hit 1 of 2 late in the game. Just can't have it, and that will absolutely keep you up at night when you lose by 3 points in a game like that. Credit to the Purples too for improving in a giant way over a miserable free throw performance last week. They missed what, 17 free throws last week? They sure as heck didn't even approach missing that many this time.

 

As to what this means for the region, right now IMO it just means we consider BG #1 and WC #2. It has huge ramifications for the 14th District as it means that unless Central manages to win out that BG will almost certainly have the coveted #1 seed and Central will have to contend with the Gators just to get to region. Every district game especially takes on more meaning for the Dragons while BG gets a breather next Friday against East. As far as crowning BG king in the region, do remember that the two won at their respective homes last year. If in two weeks the Purples win again, I will most definitely make that concession.

 

In closing, I don't feel as bad about this as I expected to, and I think that's because it was more of being impressed with BG than disappointed with WC. Outside of those free throws, there's little I'm tore up about. I do wish King would have shot more earlier as he caught fire late, and I hope that two more weeks of play will do Shanklin good as well. Very happy with Wells and Jackson tonight, especially Jackson defensively where I expected him to get used by Behanan. He had to foul a lot to make it tougher on Chane, but I halfway expected 2 points every possession out of Chane with Fant off the floor. Congrats to BG, looking forward to the game in two weeks, and looking forward to Barren County and Greenwood next week.

 

I really want to thank the fans of both teams for making this the type of atmosphere it should be. I have never, ever, ever, seen BG's gym that full. It just amplified a huge game even further, and while the early leads dampened the WC students and crowd some, it was just great to see people treat the game the way they should. I hope it's so packed the fire marshall has to threaten to shut it down in two weeks.

Also, BG belongs in the BGP Top 20. I still think Central does as well, but I gotta take it on the chin for the hard time I gave BG. Right now they get to be #1 in the region, we'll see how it goes when they come to the Dragons' home.

  • Author

Thanks for the details. Until this game I had pretty much conceded the district and region to WC, but I guess as KG said, "anything's possible". I hate I won't get to see this storied rivalry on the hardwood this year. The next meeting is set up for a great game. Thanks again for the details.

 

I wish both teams luck and the chance to play two more times this year. It's always a good thing when these two teams are not only the top 2 teams in the region but also players in the top 25 of the state.

BG's DJ Ray leads all scorers with 24; Fant had 22 for WC, Behanan with 19 & 10 rebounds for BG.

Thanks for the details. Until this game I had pretty much conceded the district and region to WC, but I guess as KG said, "anything's possible". I hate I won't get to see this storied rivalry on the hardwood this year. The next meeting is set up for a great game. Thanks again for the details.

 

I wish both teams luck and the chance to play two more times this year. It's always a good thing when these two teams are not only the top 2 teams in the region but also players in the top 25 of the state.

 

I wouldn't concede anything...Bowling Green is the best team in the region and Behanan might be the best junior in the state :thumb:

Working on an article right now that I'll post in another thread soon, but there is big news out of Bowling Green tonight...

I wouldn't concede anything...Bowling Green is the best team in the region and Behanan might be the best junior in the state :thumb:

 

Best team.... right now. I look forward to the return game on WCs floor in two weeks. As I said earlier, remember that these two teams split at their respective homes last year as well. But Wireman is definitely right, there was never any reason whatsoever to concede the region. WC can be beaten not only by BG but several teams. Neither BG or WC is that separated from the pack.

 

BTW, Behanan wasn't the best junior on that floor tonight, nor the best player on his team.

Working on an article right now that I'll post in another thread soon, but there is big news out of Bowling Green tonight...

 

Do tell soon....

I guess BG is a lot better than a lot of us gave them credit for.

 

Really wish I could've seen the Fant-Behanan match up tonight.

I guess BG is a lot better than a lot of us gave them credit for.

 

Really wish I could've seen the Fant-Behanan match up tonight.

Soon enough the video will be up for you to see it. Someone webcasts every BG game on delay.

 

And as far as giving BG credit, one of the reasons I didn't was how much they relied on Behanan. This was by far DJ Ray's best game this season, and really as a Purple. His 24 points were the difference in the game. You still saw a significant drop-off when he left the floor, but if they get that kind of effort from Ray, we will see more results like this.

I wouldn't concede anything...Bowling Green is the best team in the region and Behanan might be the best junior in the state :thumb:

 

Chane Behanan is hands down the most talented junior in the state...IMO.

Soon enough the video will be up for you to see it. Someone webcasts every BG game on delay.

 

Nice. Post the link or send it in a pm when you get it please. :thumb:

Nice. Post the link or send it in a pm when you get it please. :thumb:

 

Will do!

Bowling Green has got to be ranked this week...if not then the rankings are a joke. I think 4th region could very well have 3 teams ranked, had Russell Co not blown a 9 pt lead to Greenwood last week with 3 mins to go. Look for the 4th region to maybe make it to Saturday at state this year...if they dont get a horrific draw. Now everyone...go ahead...laugh at me...I know its coming.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.