Informal Girls' 8th Region Poll

The girls' 8th is a real crapshoot right now. Any predictions are almost pure guesswork as a number of teams have enough firepower to put together a three-game run vs. the region teams.

Anderson County, Walton-Verona, Simon Kenton, Owen County, and South Oldham, IMO, are the top 5. Right now, those five are pretty much beating each other up... Ranking them is pretty difficult right now...

Second tier includes Gallatin County and Oldham County, both of whom could threaten when the end of the year comes along... Holly Roberts' Gallatin County team seems to be coming along, and Oldham County has the ability to really score, and is slowly figuring out the new coach's system.

Dangerous teams that could make noise, but haven't proven they can make that three game run include North Oldham, Carroll County, Henry County, and Shelby County.

It is truly shaping up to be the most exciting girls' 8th region tourney in many, many years.

Col. Mike, I think your second paragraph has the teams listed in a fairly accurate order - as of this moment. In another 24 hours, however, it can shift greatly, and there is not much difference between any of them thus far. It's a girls' b-ball fan's paradise this year in the 8th.

I would say Simon then Anderson..from there it is a toss up.

Walton would have to be third although any of them could make a run. Some players are getting back to 100% and that could change the whole 8th.

It is a fun year!

Col. Mike, I think your second paragraph has the teams listed in a fairly accurate order - as of this moment. In another 24 hours, however, it can shift greatly, and there is not much difference between any of them thus far. It's a girls' b-ball fan's paradise this year in the 8th.

Hey, thanks for the props!

I've seen SK, Anderson, South, and Walton-Verona. Last saw Owen in the region last year, but I'm familiar with their team and know they've lost to AC and beat South.

From what I've seen, the order should look like this:

Anderson County

SK / South Oldham (the knock-down, drag-out preseason battle really has folks licking their chops over another matchup between these two)

Walton-Verona

Owen County

Questions remain for all...Will Anderson ever act their (extremely young) age and blink? Will SK be betrayed by a lack of depth? Will the real South Oldham please stand up? Will Owen find some consistency? Will Walton-Verona's guards be able to win three tournament games against the full-court pressure brought by teams such as SK and South?

Questions remain for all...Will Anderson ever act their (extremely young) age and blink? Will SK be betrayed by a lack of depth? Will the real South Oldham please stand up? Will Owen find some consistency? Will Walton-Verona's guards be able to win three tournament games against the full-court pressure brought by teams such as SK and South?

Great points! I wish that all the top 8th teams played each other during the regular season. It would serve as a great preview for what will be a wild tourney. BTW, I still think that Shelby will be in the thick of it before it's all over.

Great points! I wish that all the top 8th teams played each other during the regular season. It would serve as a great preview for what will be a wild tourney. BTW, I still think that Shelby will be in the thick of it before it's all over.

Could be. I think you can never count Shelby out because of the "system" they have in place. Their kids hit the varsity "knowing" what they need to know already because they've been doing the "system" forever. Coach Conder is an excellent coach from what I've seen, and they'll give some good teams fits.

I guess I'm just not convinced Shelby has a three game run in them, as they look like the #2 team in the 30th, meaning three tough matchups in the region... but I sure wouldn't want to foolishly rule the Lady Rockets out.

Could be. I think you can never count Shelby out because of the "system" they have in place. Their kids hit the varsity "knowing" what they need to know already because they've been doing the "system" forever. Coach Conder is an excellent coach from what I've seen, and they'll give some good teams fits.

I guess I'm just not convinced Shelby has a three game run in them, as they look like the #2 team in the 30th, meaning three tough matchups in the region... but I sure wouldn't want to foolishly rule the Lady Rockets out.

Almost every year it's a huge advantage to go the regional as a District winner. Getting a runner-up is a huge advantage. However, I think this season is different. With 6 or 7 different teams claiming legit shots at the title, Im just not convinced it's all that big of a deal this season. Obviously everybody want to win their district. It's a nice accomplishment for any team. But the difference in District winners and runner ups this season may be closer then any I can ever remember.

MOST of the top teams in the 8th do play each other. I know Anderson would love to play Simon and Walton but neither team seems to be interested in scheduling with them. Same goes for the Owens, Carrolls etc of the region. I personally think the 8th may be shaken up quite a bit whenever the KHSAA realigns (2012 i think).

Almost every year it's a huge advantage to go the regional as a District winner. Getting a runner-up is a huge advantage. However, I think this season is different. With 6 or 7 different teams claiming legit shots at the title, Im just not convinced it's all that big of a deal this season. Obviously everybody want to win their district. It's a nice accomplishment for any team. But the difference in District winners and runner ups this season may be closer then any I can ever remember.

VERY, VERY TRUE!! :thumb:

MOST of the top teams in the 8th do play each other. I know Anderson would love to play Simon and Walton but neither team seems to be interested in scheduling with them. Same goes for the Owens, Carrolls etc of the region. I personally think the 8th may be shaken up quite a bit whenever the KHSAA realigns (2012 i think).

Lots of rumors flying around regarding a potential realignment. A topic for a different thread, but I hope it's not too drastic a realignment.