September 23, 200521 yr Everybody is all up in arms about Prop 20, but Prop 1 seems to be just as devious, if not more so. In fact, for all the talk of the private schools getting hosed by the KHSAA in this, if Prop 1 passes and Prop 20 doesn't, then the privates get a clear advantage over the independents, which has been highlighted in the other BGP thread started about Prop 1. Why is Prop 20 getting all the coverage, and Prop 1 getting virtually none??? I just found out about it today, and it will have a MAJOR impact on two of the top three winningest programs (winning percentage-wise) in the entire state of KY --- Highlands and Danville (both being independent schools). Are Highlands and Danville just not nearly as important as Trinity and Saint X??? Why the disparity in coverage?
September 23, 200521 yr Because as poorly as Prop 20 was defined the message was clear: Separate post-season play for public and private schools. Prop 1 requires critical thinking of what could/may happen after it is put into effect. Some people have thought it out, most I would say have not. Whether the people actually voting on it have thought it through is unknown.
September 23, 200521 yr I agree, all the Independent schools need to wake up and band together. Prop #1 is an attempt to pit the Independent schools against the private schools. Prop #1 is doing a great job of dividing and conquering all non-public schools. I will say this, if you are an Independent school and Prop #1 passes with the help of ANY private schools, the Independent schools need to make it known to all the private schools they would be willing to return the favor and work to pass Prop #20. The good news is I believe the Independent and Private powers that be are smart enough to see through this poor attempt by Mr. Sexton of Eastern high school to divide and conquer what he sees as both his "enemies."
September 23, 200521 yr Is this Sexton of Louisville Eastern a real person? It seems that whoever is using that name has been a pain in the posterior to quality high school athletics for several years.
September 23, 200521 yr Yes he is and it is important that we all be professionals on here. I don't agree with most of his positions but I respect his right to propose and lobby for them.
September 23, 200521 yr Yes he is and it is important that we all be professionals on here. I don't agree with most of his positions but I respect his right to propose and lobby for them. Does the volume of proposals coming from this one guy erode his credibility?
September 23, 200521 yr Is this Sexton of Louisville Eastern a real person? It seems that whoever is using that name has been a pain in the posterior to quality high school athletics for several years. That's Mr. Sexton and yes he is a real person.
September 23, 200521 yr Does the volume of proposals coming from this one guy erode his credibility? I don't think so but I do think it calls his motives into question. On the outside looking in, it looks very personal and as a rule of thumb I think that is a bad way to do business. This is all my opinion of course...
September 23, 200521 yr I don't think so but I do think it calls his motives into question. On the outside looking in, it looks very personal and as a rule of thumb I think that is a bad way to do business. This is all my opinion of course... Exactly if everything is personnel and you have impure motives, can you have integrity? It certainly doesn't look good.
September 23, 200521 yr Or he is simply someone that is fed up with what he perceives as inequities and has the guts to put himself on the line and do something about it. Can someone give a brief synopsis of Prop 1?
September 23, 200521 yr Brief??? http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?t=76283 That is the one I thought it was. I have heard a lot of talk from public schools that having private schools have to create boundaries is the answer instead of Prop 20. I am beginning to wonder if it is not going to be either or. 20 mile boundary or Prop 20. Which would the private schools prefer? I would say that one of 2 things are going to happen. Either the boundary issue or Prop 20 will pass OR the publics will be so split on which is the best plan that neither will pass.
September 24, 200521 yr Or he is simply someone that is fed up with what he perceives as inequities and has the guts to put himself on the line and do something about it. There is a lot of "Or" on the other side of this argument and I will leave it at that because I don't think I will be able to keep from suspending myself if I say anymore.
September 25, 200521 yr Everybody is all up in arms about Prop 20, but Prop 1 seems to be just as devious, if not more so. In fact, for all the talk of the private schools getting hosed by the KHSAA in this, if Prop 1 passes and Prop 20 doesn't, then the privates get a clear advantage over the independents, which has been highlighted in the other BGP thread started about Prop 1. Why is Prop 20 getting all the coverage, and Prop 1 getting virtually none??? I just found out about it today, and it will have a MAJOR impact on two of the top three winningest programs (winning percentage-wise) in the entire state of KY --- Highlands and Danville (both being independent schools). Are Highlands and Danville just not nearly as important as Trinity and Saint X??? Why the disparity in coverage? You couldn't be further from the truth. You have to know the school law as written. if you read the proposal, it extends the boundary for any public school by including the district of any district they have a 157 agreement with (reciprocal agreement). So if the districts are trading tuition (trading non resident students as most adjacent districts do in Northern Kentucky and many other parts of the state), it won't impact them at all. But what it does do is define a boundary for private schools, instead of a 32 county diocese to draw from, it restricts it to a 20 mile radius.
September 25, 200521 yr Or he is simply someone that is fed up with what he perceives as inequities and has the guts to put himself on the line and do something about it. Can someone give a brief synopsis of Prop 1? As I read it, you have three types of schools who would have boundaries defined. Public schools that have a defined boundary would have that boundary PLUS any reciprocal agreements for non resident students (i.e. they trade ADA on kids). Then the second type would be for those within a district that don't have a boundary (i.e. Manual, Male, Central, Butler in Jefferson County). For those, the territory would be the entire county system. The last type would be the private schools, where a simple 20 mile radius would apply. And remember, all the proposal says is that the student loses the freshman year (just like a person ineligible because of a transfer rule problem), not the entire career. It is important that people read the entire proposal, and not just the summary that they may see on someone else's commentary. Or at least that's the way I see it.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.