Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bishop Brossart 45 Campbell County 36

Featured Replies

Is their any appreciation at all for how hard our coaches work to get our kids to play the kind of defense that they play??? To get them to learn and perfect a defensive system??? How hard they work to get them to value the possession of the ball??? How hard they work to limit turnovers??? How hard they work to create high percentage shots??? How hard they work to get kids to stand in and take charges????

 

Anybody can coach a high school basketball team if all you are going to do is allow them to run up and down the floor, make two passes and fire up a shot on each possession. It then boils down to who has the best offensive talent, or who has the best shooting night.

 

This is strictly an example being used to make a point: Pendleton County is capable of scoring 90-100 points per game - if you let them. With that being the case going into game against the Wildcats, we know we can't score that many points on our best day, and to get into a run-gun shootout with them would be suicidal. We know that if we can play great defense and limit them to the fifties and trade high-percentage shot for high-percentage shot that we have a chance to beat them. Isn't it smarter for us to take that approach instead of losing 90-75??? According to your thinking the answer is no - go play an up-down game, get your brains beat in, but provide the fan with more entertainment value for their bucks.

 

To me that would be the easy way out. We could cut our practices down to an hour a day. Spend half an hour on shooting drills, scrimmage for the next half hour, and go .500 on the season, beating the teams where we have more talent and losing to those that we don't.

 

Maybe we want something more than that from our teams. Maybe our kids get satisfaction from beating teams that on paper they shouldn't. Maybe instead of getting excited about a "3" we take more satisfaction in taking a charge. Maybe by playing great defense we are in every game we play. Maybe we are just a bunch of sickos destroying eveyone's fun by playing to our best advantage.

 

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Willie Schlarman and Mike Code have combined to win 243 games, while losing 132 at Brossart. In doing so, we have been 10th Region Champions, 10th Region Runners-up, twice Number One in No Ky in the final coaches polls, five time district champions, two time NKAC Division II Champions, seven time 10th Region "A" Champions, All "A" State Champions, and All "A" State runners-up. All this with an enrollment of around 380 kids 9-12 co-ed, using primarily home-grown kids.

 

What's not to like???

 

Love it, love it, love it....that's why we attend these games. Hard nosed, get after it bball. Just short of a rugby scrum some nights....I have to agree, what's not to like ? :banana:

  • Replies 38
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I have no problem with defensive basketball, and with the Godfather of the slow down game in the stands that makes it even better!!"

 

Classic! Gotta be a Pendleton Co fan that had that quote.

 

I would rather my team do whatever it takes to give them their best opportunity to win the game.

I thought it was a great game to watch. Packed stands and great atmosphere. I knew Brossart would play great D, but I was impressed with CC ball pressure and effort.

 

Brossart's style works for them and they will have a lot of success this season.

Look guys,

 

Lets get right to the point. I have tried to give Coach Code the benefit of the doubt this year but here we go again. Has anything changed since last year. Nobody on the team has any drive to want to shoot. You make a mistake, you get taken out, you miss a shot, you get taken out, you take a bad shot, you get taken out, and on, and on, and on. I am so fed up with the coaching of Code. How can anybody on the team build confidence in themselves or in their shot capabilities if they are so terrified of shooting the ball. How many open shots and missed opportunities can we have that should be taken but arent for some reason. Well that reason is Code. How many people did not come out this year from last or just didnt want to try out in general due to Code's coaching strategies. There are multiple players on the Camels that if given the opportunity to actually play basketball and not be a Code Robot, would prosper and move the Camels into the right direction. BUT, cant do that cause Code must be in control and make sure nobody is a star or taking too many shots. Explain this to me. How if someone is hott, and making most of their shots do you take them out or make sure they arent taking as many. People get hot in different games and he cant recognize that.

 

Help me understand this as well. How can you take probably you best player being Jolly, out of the equation because a team is defending him stronger. Ponder this. John Wall for UK, best player by far. He gets defended stronger and double teamed more than anybody. Do you think Calipari should take him out of the equation and stand him near half court, or not let him make things happen??? Are you crazy!!!! If he did this he would be fired ASAP. Code needs to let certain players or even all of them play basketball and creat space and opportunity by themselves. And also do this without thinking in the back of their minds, uh oh, if I miss this I might get taken out.

 

I do give Coach credit for the defensive play but you cant win games on defense. You have to put the ball through the hoop to win a game becasue the most points win.

 

If I were the coach:

 

If I were the coach I would truly have a team meeting, ask the players what their thoughts were and how they would like to play the game. If they say how their playing is fine then so be it. But there is no way with permission to speak freely without consequences that every player on that team wouldnt say something. I understand spectators reading this may think this is crazy but why not at least see what your own team thinks. They might just have a good idea or play better if they know the coach is behind them. Let the boys play basketball without the fear and you will see the Camels light up.

 

True Shepherd -- Out

And True Shepherd if you are a UK fan I would think you would understand the principle of the Dribble Drive-----Out.

Look guys,

 

Lets get right to the point. I have tried to give Coach Code the benefit of the doubt this year but here we go again. Has anything changed since last year. Nobody on the team has any drive to want to shoot. You make a mistake, you get taken out, you miss a shot, you get taken out, you take a bad shot, you get taken out, and on, and on, and on. I am so fed up with the coaching of Code. How can anybody on the team build confidence in themselves or in their shot capabilities if they are so terrified of shooting the ball. How many open shots and missed opportunities can we have that should be taken but arent for some reason. Well that reason is Code. How many people did not come out this year from last or just didnt want to try out in general due to Code's coaching strategies. There are multiple players on the Camels that if given the opportunity to actually play basketball and not be a Code Robot, would prosper and move the Camels into the right direction. BUT, cant do that cause Code must be in control and make sure nobody is a star or taking too many shots. Explain this to me. How if someone is hott, and making most of their shots do you take them out or make sure they arent taking as many. People get hot in different games and he cant recognize that.

 

Help me understand this as well. How can you take probably you best player being Jolly, out of the equation because a team is defending him stronger. Ponder this. John Wall for UK, best player by far. He gets defended stronger and double teamed more than anybody. Do you think Calipari should take him out of the equation and stand him near half court, or not let him make things happen??? Are you crazy!!!! If he did this he would be fired ASAP. Code needs to let certain players or even all of them play basketball and creat space and opportunity by themselves. And also do this without thinking in the back of their minds, uh oh, if I miss this I might get taken out.

 

I do give Coach credit for the defensive play but you cant win games on defense. You have to put the ball through the hoop to win a game becasue the most points win.

 

If I were the coach:

 

If I were the coach I would truly have a team meeting, ask the players what their thoughts were and how they would like to play the game. If they say how their playing is fine then so be it. But there is no way with permission to speak freely without consequences that every player on that team wouldnt say something. I understand spectators reading this may think this is crazy but why not at least see what your own team thinks. They might just have a good idea or play better if they know the coach is behind them. Let the boys play basketball without the fear and you will see the Camels light up.

 

True Shepherd -- Out

 

I am speechless. Don't know what to say to this. I was at the game and didn't see any difference in the playing time or offense when it applies to Jolly. He was just double teamed (a few times) and guarded by Reiger. That makes it tuff. He did not have the bulk to match up with Reiger anyway, makes a huge difference in such a physical game. I really don't know what your hang up is with coach Code and probably never will but I have been to every game this year except for the Dixie game. I myself have questioned some of his moves but never once have I thought I could have done something better in the situation. He is a proven coach and me....., just a proven fan of basketball. The only thing as a "FAN" that I don't understand is rolling with the same 5 starters for the beginning of every quarter. Would just like to see it switched up a bit. He will get it figured out and as long as they are ready by district play then I am happy. IT IS NOT JUST THE COACH BUT THE BOYS HAVE TO PRODUCE AS WELL! At some point you need to stay on or get off the Camels bandwagon.

Oh, and Sheperd. I can count on one hand the amount of times that John Wall has been double teamed this year. He is a point guard in a dribble drive offense...you seriously think he has been double teamed more than 10% of time.

I do give Coach credit for the defensive play but you cant win games on defense.

True Shepherd -- Out

 

I've never heard that before.

Offense wins ganes, defense wins championships. Brossart has had alot of success and we are a hard nosed, get after it defensive team.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.