Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Past 13th Region Champs?

Featured Replies

I have got a question for you 13th region fans. How many teams other than Clay Co., Harlan Indepedent, and Corbin won regional titles in the 80's and 90's?

Past 13th Region Winners

 

1939 - Corbin

1940 - Williamsburg

1941 - Williamsburg

1942 - Harlan

1943 - Harlan

1944 - Harlan

1945 - Harlan

1946 - Williamsburg

1947 - Corbin

1948 - Corbin

1949 - Corbin

1950 - Corbin

1951 - Corbin

1952 - Corbin

1953 - Clay County

1954 - Clay County

1955 - Clay County

1956 - Bell County

1957 - Clay County

1958 - Clay County

1959 - Clay County

1960 - Bell County

1961 - Lone Jack

1962 - Lone Jack

1963 - Clay County

1964 - Harlan

1965 - Knox Central

1966 - Knox Central

1967 - Harlan

1968 - Clay County

1969 - Harlan

1970 - Knox Central

1971 - Middlesboro

1972 - Brodhead

1973 - Clay County

1974 - Clay County

1975 - Clay County

1976 - Clay County

1977 - Bell County

1978 - Clay County

1979 - Clay County

1980 - Bell County

1981 - Clay County

1982 - Middlesboro

1983 - Middlesboro

1984 - Clay County

1985 - Clay County

1986 - Clay County

1987 - Clay County

1988 - Clay County

1989 - Clay County

1990 - Clay County

1991 - Corbin

1992 - Clay County

1993 - Harlan

1994 - Clay County

1995 - Harlan

1996 - Harlan

1997 - Corbin

1998 - Clay County

1999 - Clay County

2000 - Corbin

2001 - Clay County

2002 - Rockcastle County

2003 - Cumberland

2004 - Rockcastle County

2005 - Corbin

2006 - South Laurel

2007 - South Laurel

2008 - South Laurel

2009 - Corbin

One shocker was Cumberland in 2003. They were probably the 5th or 6th best team that year but upset everyone on their way to the title. Very unexpected.

One shocker was Cumberland in 2003. They were probably the 5th or 6th best team that year but upset everyone on their way to the title. Very unexpected.

 

Um...didn't them winning make them the best team?:idunno: LOL

 

I think a lot of people overlooked their talent that year. They didn't get it done early, but as you said upset several on thier way. They probably was not the most talented team in 13 that year, but I have to disagree with 5th or 6th. Creech & Haynes were exceptional athletes.

Evarts should have won the region in 1983. They beat Middlesboro twice in the regular season, then lost to them in the semi-finals. They had a very good team that year.

Evarts should have won the region in 1983. They beat Middlesboro twice in the regular season, then lost to them in the semi-finals. They had a very good team that year.

 

That was my favorite Evarts team, but I think they lost two of three to Cawood that year.

Memories of 1981 and 1986 still eat at me. :(

 

 

Me, too.

Cawood actually had the region won in 1983 though, if not for a slow hand on the clock at Knox Central.

Cawood had some very good hard-nosed teams during the early to mid 80's. It seemed like it was Clay Co. and Cawood every year in those days.

Me, too.

Cawood actually had the region won in 1983 though, if not for a slow hand on the clock at Knox Central.

 

I'm having trouble remembering 83...

Me, too.

Cawood actually had the region won in 1983 though, if not for a slow hand on the clock at Knox Central.

 

Yeah, ask Cumberland about sick in 85. Had Clay beat in the Regional and got two technical fouls late called on a statatician. Talked to Coach Keith at Patsy's one day a few years ago about that game...

 

Speaking of coach Keith and Patsy's...it was really something to watch him during lunch in there. Talk about 1 man having the attention of the whole resturant....man him and that place was/is classic Kentucky HS Basketball.

 

I have not been there in a few years. I hope that place is still open.:thumb:

Yeah, ask Cumberland about sick in 85. Had Clay beat in the Regional and got two technical fouls late called on a statatician. Talked to Coach Keith at Patsy's one day a few years ago about that game...

 

Speaking of coach Keith and Patsy's...it was really something to watch him during lunch in there. Talk about 1 man having the attention of the whole resturant....man him and that place was/is classic Kentucky HS Basketball.

 

I have not been there in a few years. I hope that place is still open.:thumb:

 

 

 

I have asked him about that game, too.

Coach Keith said he thought Cumberland was as good as Hopkinsville, the team Clay lost to in the state finals.

 

He also agreed that Cawood's loss to Pineville in the 1978 regional was the biggest upset in 13th Region history. Cawood entered the game 24-1 and had blown out Clay earlier in the season.

I have asked him about that game, too.

Coach Keith said he thought Cumberland was as good as Hopkinsville, the team Clay lost to in the state finals.

 

He also agreed that Cawood's loss to Pineville in the 1978 regional was the biggest upset in 13th Region history. Cawood entered the game 24-1 and had blown out Clay earlier in the season.

 

I've heard stories of that 78 game...and they aren't good ones as a Cawood fan. I've only asked one person that played on that team to tell me about it and I got a look that I will never forget. I never asked again.

 

I remember that Cumberland team from their games with Cawood that year, but I wasn't at the Regional tourny game.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.