October 23, 200916 yr Ok after all this with John Wall I can understand how people would say oh it's not Cal's fault, Cal didn't know etc.. etc... But, my question for UK fans is, at what point does it becomes Calipari's responsibility to know? I mean say this doesn't come out until next summer and UK is stripped of a final four because of it. At what point should it be Cal's responsibility to know who the players he signs have dealt with? Or is it always the players fault and Cal is just an innocent victim? It's just now this is the fourth big time player on one of Calipari's team to have serious eligibility issues.
October 23, 200916 yr If UK wins a title or two, most fans would care less how they achieved it. If UK wins a title or two and then have to vacate them, they will blame someone that's not Calipari because "he didn't know." Honestly, I see more UK fans getting upset if they have to vacate wins and North Carolina passes them on the All-Time wins list.
October 23, 200916 yr Ok after all this with John Wall I can understand how people would say oh it's not Cal's fault, Cal didn't know etc.. etc... But, my question for UK fans is, at what point does it becomes Calipari's responsibility to know? I mean say this doesn't come out until next summer and UK is stripped of a final four because of it. At what point should it be Cal's responsibility to know who the players he signs have dealt with? Or is it always the players fault and Cal is just an innocent victim? It's just now this is the fourth big time player on one of Calipari's team to have serious eligibility issues. Is your name Pat Forde? BTW, he was the co-author of the story regarding John Wall's eligibility. I have been a UK supporter all my life, but I am not above any rules or integrity breaches. The NCAA cleared D Rose to play and coach played him (what would any coach have done?). The coach can only do so much with regards to players eligibility. IMHO, Coach Cal is the easy target here......players come and go, but coaches must stay and keep the program going. If the NCAA clears a player, then that player should be eligible, and no future sanctions should be placed on them. I find it very ironic that this situation has happened with other schools, but no sanctions have been placed on them. I find this very funny indeed. I know it's hard for you to swallow, but UK will always be the Roman Empire of college basketball, just accept it and move on.............and BTW, this is not a serious eligibility issue.
October 23, 200916 yr If UK wins a title or two, most fans would care less how they achieved it. You are wrong. Most UK fans are honest, hard working Americans. We care very much how they achieve it. If UK wins a title or two and then have to vacate them, they will blame someone that's not Calipari because "he didn't know." Wrong again, sounds like some sour grapes here. UK will not vacate any championships, I know you would like that, but it's not going to happen. Honestly, I see more UK fans getting upset if they have to vacate wins and North Carolina passes them on the All-Time wins list. Wrong again. UNC has already passed UK in wins several years ago, and UK took it back. So it's not a big deal. I think it's a much bigger deal to UNC fans. My good friend is a UNC fan, and it's all he talks about. I don't think you know UK fans very well. I think you are stereotyping big time.
October 23, 200916 yr Author I know it's hard for you to swallow, but UK will always be the Roman Empire of college basketball, just accept it and move on.............and BTW, this is not a serious eligibility issue. It has nothing to do with being hard for me to swallow or what not, I asked a simple question, at what point does it becomes Cal's responsibility. I think we are past the point where we can say this is becoming a pattern. It is a serious eligibility issue if he hasn't been cleared by the NCAA to compete in games.
October 23, 200916 yr It has nothing to do with being hard for me to swallow or what not, I asked a simple question, at what point does it becomes Cal's responsibility. I think we are past the point where we can say this is becoming a pattern. It is a serious eligibility issue if he hasn't been cleared by the NCAA to compete in games. OK, so let's say Wall is cleared to play and takes the CATS to the Final Four, then they come back later and say...........oh, hold on fellas, he was not eligible after all. Then who is that on? Coach Cal? If so, why? I say it's not serious because if you read the article, you know that his AAU coach dropped his agent status in August of 2008. JW will probably pay back some money and might miss a few games as a worst case. Let's stop penalizing these kids for adult mistakes. This is just another witch hunt by Forde.
October 23, 200916 yr Wrong again. UNC has already passed UK in wins several years ago, and UK took it back. So it's not a big deal. I think it's a much bigger deal to UNC fans. My good friend is a UNC fan, and it's all he talks about. I don't think you know UK fans very well. I think you are stereotyping big time. Believe me, I've lived in the state all my life and grew up on UK basketball. I've surrounded myself with many UK fans and have been to many games at Rupp. I'm not spitballing on what I have observed. Does the UNC radio network have a special segment in their postgame show tracking their all time wins? UK does. Go back and track some of the threads on here dealing with UNC closing in on UK on the wins list. The threads are laughable. I didnt say all UK fans would react that way. But guaranteed there are people who would be more upset with UNC passing UK in all-time wins than having conference and possibly national titles stripped. Here's to hoping we don't see the day comes that proves me right.
October 23, 200916 yr OK, so let's say Wall is cleared to play and takes the CATS to the Final Four, then they come back later and say...........oh, hold on fellas, he was not eligible after all. Then who is that on? Coach Cal? If so, why? I say it's not serious because if you read the article, you know that his AAU coach dropped his agent status in August of 2008. JW will probably pay back some money and might miss a few games as a worst case. Let's stop penalizing these kids for adult mistakes. This is just another witch hunt by Forde. If the commissioner doesn't comment on it, there is no story Thursday.
October 23, 200916 yr Author OK, so let's say Wall is cleared to play and takes the CATS to the Final Four, then they come back later and say...........oh, hold on fellas, he was not eligible after all. Then who is that on? Coach Cal? If so, why? I say it's not serious because if you read the article, you know that his AAU coach dropped his agent status in August of 2008. JW will probably pay back some money and might miss a few games as a worst case. Let's stop penalizing these kids for adult mistakes. This is just another witch hunt by Forde. Maybe it is a witch hunt, but at some point this kids have to face adult consequences. I don't think Wall deserves much more than pay back and maybe 3 or 4 games at most, but that's only if he's straight forward and honest about everything. I'm just asking at what point does Cal become responsible for surrounding himself with questionable players. When's the last time you heard of these problems under Roy Williams, Billy Donovan, Tubby Smith, Bill Self, or many other successful coaches. The only other coach in recent memory with a major player involved in this kind of situation was Duke a few years ago, and that's the only time I remember Coach K facing these kinds of questions. I'm just saying it's a pattern with Calipari players now and at what point does Cal get some responsibility in the fans eyes, if the answer is never that's fine. I just want to know how many players with questionable backgrounds are acceptable before the coach shares some of the blame for the punishment the teams and it's fans will take if the NCAA comes down on them.
October 23, 200916 yr If the commissioner doesn't comment on it, there is no story Thursday. Mr. Peevey thinks we are good, and I'm sure his knows more than all of us put together. "My understanding is that all 13 players on our roster are eligible at this point," said UK media relations director DeWayne Peevey. The following is very different than NCAA Enforcement. According to NCAA protocol, any case involving pre-enrollment amateurism issues would be investigated by the NCAA Eligibility Center.
October 23, 200916 yr Ok after all this with John Wall I can understand how people would say oh it's not Cal's fault, Cal didn't know etc.. etc... But, my question for UK fans is, at what point does it becomes Calipari's responsibility to know? I mean say this doesn't come out until next summer and UK is stripped of a final four because of it. At what point should it be Cal's responsibility to know who the players he signs have dealt with? Or is it always the players fault and Cal is just an innocent victim? It's just now this is the fourth big time player on one of Calipari's team to have serious eligibility issues. Honestly my take on it, is that the media loves to put big names on stories, that's what attracts ratings, that what also attracts attention. I'm POSITIVE there are plenty of players that DON'T get the same attention because they aren't of the same Caliber. The media/hype honestly fuels alot of this stuff, anyone that thinks otherwise is pretty naive.
October 23, 200916 yr Mr. Peevey thinks we are good, and I'm sure his knows more than all of us put together. "My understanding is that all 13 players on our roster are eligible at this point," said UK media relations director DeWayne Peevey. The following is very different than NCAA Enforcement. According to NCAA protocol, any case involving pre-enrollment amateurism issues would be investigated by the NCAA Eligibility Center. Actually, Mr. Peevey's quote doesnt make me feel warm and fuzzy because it was qualified with "at this point". At this point, I haven't went to bed yet. But pretty soon, I will go to sleep. At this point, I am the latest person to make a comment in this thread. But at some point, someone will follow. At this point, everyone is eligible because there has been no ruling. I guess I was looking for something along the lines of "We are confident that all 13 players will begin the season playing for UK." or "We have investigated this and can find no reason why John Wall won't be eligible his freshman year." To me, when the conference commissioner is questioning the eligibility of a player, that could be cause for concern, at this point.
October 23, 200916 yr Honestly my take on it, is that the media loves to put big names on stories, that's what attracts ratings, that what also attracts attention. I'm POSITIVE there are plenty of players that DON'T get the same attention because they aren't of the same Caliber. The media/hype honestly fuels alot of this stuff, anyone that thinks otherwise is pretty naive. I think what fueled this story was the fact the SEC commissioner commented on the two freshmen's eligibility. If John Wall was the only player mentioned, I can see where some would see this as a witch hunt. Wasn't there another top flight player mentioned in the story? Are Mississippi State fans claiming a witch hunt with the same story also?
October 23, 200916 yr Maybe it is a witch hunt, but at some point this kids have to face adult consequences. I don't think Wall deserves much more than pay back and maybe 3 or 4 games at most, but that's only if he's straight forward and honest about everything. I'm just asking at what point does Cal become responsible for surrounding himself with questionable players. When's the last time you heard of these problems under Roy Williams, Billy Donovan, Tubby Smith, Bill Self, or many other successful coaches. The only other coach in recent memory with a major player involved in this kind of situation was Duke a few years ago, and that's the only time I remember Coach K facing these kinds of questions. I'm just saying it's a pattern with Calipari players now and at what point does Cal get some responsibility in the fans eyes, if the answer is never that's fine. I just want to know how many players with questionable backgrounds are acceptable before the coach shares some of the blame for the punishment the teams and it's fans will take if the NCAA comes down on them. I would be completely with your logic if Coach Cal had been named in any NCAA investigations, but I like to talk in facts. The fact of the matter is simply this, Coach Cal has NEVER been named in any NCAA violation matter his entire career. No one can dispute that, because it's a factual statement. Here's the issue, Coach Cal recruits and gets some of the best high school players to come play for him, and there is a great deal of jealousy out there. You can bet that those other coaches are very envious of Cal. He is under every microscope out there, and now it will be even more so since moving to the Roman Empire. The boys love playing for him because he is a players coach and he lets them do their thing.
October 23, 200916 yr Actually, Mr. Peevey's quote doesnt make me feel warm and fuzzy because it was qualified with "at this point". At this point, I haven't went to bed yet. But pretty soon, I will go to sleep. At this point, I am the latest person to make a comment in this thread. But at some point, someone will follow. At this point, everyone is eligible because there has been no ruling. I guess I was looking for something along the lines of "We are confident that all 13 players will begin the season playing for UK." or "We have investigated this and can find no reason why John Wall won't be eligible his freshman year." To me, when the conference commissioner is questioning the eligibility of a player, that could be cause for concern, at this point. At this point, I should probably go to bed. This would not even be a story if it did not involve Wall and UK, but it is what it is. At this point Wall will be at practice tomorrow, and life goes on.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.