Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Serious Question for UK Fans

Featured Replies

  • Author
I would be completely with your logic if Coach Cal had been named in any NCAA investigations, but I like to talk in facts. The fact of the matter is simply this, Coach Cal has NEVER been named in any NCAA violation matter his entire career. No one can dispute that, because it's a factual statement. Here's the issue, Coach Cal recruits and gets some of the best high school players to come play for him, and there is a great deal of jealousy out there. You can bet that those other coaches are very envious of Cal. He is under every microscope out there, and now it will be even more so since moving to the Roman Empire. The boys love playing for him because he is a players coach and he lets them do their thing.

 

In some respects you are right he gets a lot of talent, but Dozier who is one of his past players that had serious eligibility questions come up originally wanted to go to Georgia and they wouldn't touch him after looking at some of his transcripts and he winds up at Memphis. And I agree Cal hasn't been named, but at what point after this happens again and again does Cal need to make it his business to ensure his players meet the microscope test. Regardless of his name being in the papers and him having any guilt, is there a point where he should assert more control and be more selective in who he takes and not make talent the only evaluation?

  • Replies 57
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At this point, I should probably go to bed. This would not even be a story if it did not involve Wall and UK, but it is what it is. At this point Wall will be at practice tomorrow, and life goes on.

No, it became a story because the SEC commissioner spoke to the eligibility of two incoming freshman and Wall happened to be one of them. If the Mississippi State player wasn't mentioned in the story, I can see where UK fans would have a gripe.

  • Author
No, it became a story because the SEC commissioner spoke to the eligibility of two incoming freshman and Wall happened to be one of them. If the Mississippi State player wasn't mentioned in the story, I can see where UK fans would have a gripe.

 

Sidney is exactly the model Wall needs to avoid in this, Sidney would probably be eligible if he hadn't gotten so hostile towards the NCAA. Hopefully Wall will be honest from the get go and not suffer what will be Sidney's downfall.

In some respects you are right he gets a lot of talent, but Dozier who is one of his past players that had serious eligibility questions come up originally wanted to go to Georgia and they wouldn't touch him after looking at some of his transcripts and he winds up at Memphis. And I agree Cal hasn't been named, but at what point after this happens again and again does Cal need to make it his business to ensure his players meet the microscope test. Regardless of his name being in the papers and him having any guilt, is there a point where he should assert more control and be more selective in who he takes and not make talent the only evaluation?

I think it boils down to standards. UK and the fanbase aren't used to their coaches going after players with a "questionable" past. In the past, they stayed away while those players went elsewhere. Right or wrong, Calipari recruits these type of players, whether he knows of their past or not. And because he now recruits for Kentucky as their head coach, there are some fans (and non-fans) who don't know how to accept this because they don't know where it was going to lead.

 

Past UK coaches had players ruled ineligible mainly because of grades (Prop 48). But it's a win now type of attitude, especially at Kentucky where NIT is a dirty word.

 

And it's players like Wall who will keep UK from going back to the NIT. I just don't think the faithful and media, and media for that matter, aren't used to having the eligibility of UK players questioned two weeks before the season starts.

In some respects you are right he gets a lot of talent, but Dozier who is one of his past players that had serious eligibility questions come up originally wanted to go to Georgia and they wouldn't touch him after looking at some of his transcripts and he winds up at Memphis. And I agree Cal hasn't been named, but at what point after this happens again and again does Cal need to make it his business to ensure his players meet the microscope test. Regardless of his name being in the papers and him having any guilt, is there a point where he should assert more control and be more selective in who he takes and not make talent the only evaluation?

 

The Dozier case was reminiscent of the Jason Parker case involving UK. I don't remember all of the details, but he had originally signed with UNC, but UK did a double check of his transcripts and realized that UNC had made a mistake, and he became eligible at UK. Not sure if this is what happened with Dozier, but those things do happen. I just think it's hard for us as "outsiders" to really know what's going on behind the scenes of all the issues surrounding these players. Every case is different and invades the privacy of these young men.

No, it became a story because the SEC commissioner spoke to the eligibility of two incoming freshman and Wall happened to be one of them. If the Mississippi State player wasn't mentioned in the story, I can see where UK fans would have a gripe.

 

Everyone has known about Renardo Sidney's issues for a very long time. This was not a new story. I would be willing to bet that Forde contacted the commissioner's office to stir this up and bring up Wall. That's what he does. We all know he hates UK. He loves to deflect away from Pitino's bad press in any way.

  • Author
The Dozier case was reminiscent of the Jason Parker case involving UK. I don't remember all of the details, but he had originally signed with UNC, but UK did a double check of his transcripts and realized that UNC had made a mistake, and he became eligible at UK. Not sure if this is what happened with Dozier, but those things do happen. I just think it's hard for us as "outsiders" to really know what's going on behind the scenes of all the issues surrounding these players. Every case is different and invades the privacy of these young men.

 

Ok not to pry in there personal lives at all, at what point do you want Calipari to take a more active role in checking up on his recruits past? Do you wait until a final four is stripped or probation or after all that's happened now should he scrutinize any potential recruit's background with a fine tooth comb before offering them a scholarship to UK? That's ultimately what I'm curious about from UK fan's perspective. The fact you are right about is they do criticize UK as hard or harder than any other program, so does he need to have a more active role to protect UK now or should he do the same background checks he's always done and just let the chips fall where they may?

I think it boils down to standards. UK and the fanbase aren't used to their coaches going after players with a "questionable" past. In the past, they stayed away while those players went elsewhere. Right or wrong, Calipari recruits these type of players, whether he knows of their past or not. And because he now recruits for Kentucky as their head coach, there are some fans (and non-fans) who don't know how to accept this because they don't know where it was going to lead.

 

Past UK coaches had players ruled ineligible mainly because of grades (Prop 48). But it's a win now type of attitude, especially at Kentucky where NIT is a dirty word.

 

And it's players like Wall who will keep UK from going back to the NIT. I just don't think the faithful and media, and media for that matter, aren't used to having the eligibility of UK players questioned two weeks before the season starts.

 

Who has a questionable past? If you are telling me John Wall has a questionable past because his AAU coach was a certified agent, then that is a huge stretch IMO. Please name the player's with a questionable past, and tell me why you feel that way. Please define questionable past.

  • Author
Who has a questionable past? If you are telling me John Wall has a questionable past because his AAU coach was a certified agent, then that is a huge stretch IMO. Please name the player's with a questionable past, and tell me why you feel that way. Please define questionable past.

 

Players with questionable associations in their past is probably a better way to put it. I mean this is similar to the Derrick Rose stuff from what I can tell just not nearly as lucrative for Wall.

Who has a questionable past? If you are telling me John Wall has a questionable past because his AAU coach was a certified agent, then that is a huge stretch IMO. Please name the player's with a questionable past, and tell me why you feel that way. Please define questionable past.

Recite for me the last UK recruit arrested the summer before he hit campus

Ok not to pry in there personal lives at all, at what point do you want Calipari to take a more active role in checking up on his recruits past? Do you wait until a final four is stripped or probation or after all that's happened now should he scrutinize any potential recruit's background with a fine tooth comb before offering them a scholarship to UK? That's ultimately what I'm curious about from UK fan's perspective. The fact you are right about is they do criticize UK as hard or harder than any other program, so does he need to have a more active role to protect UK now or should he do the same background checks he's always done and just let the chips fall where they may?

 

YES, absolutely he must have a more active role in protecting the Roman Empire. It's the pinnacle, nothing bigger. I honestly believe that he will find recruiting easier at UK than any of his previous stops. No more pushing the limits or fudging here. If he did one under handed thing, and I was the AD, he would be fired on the spot. Integrity must come first.

Recite for me the last UK recruit arrested the summer before he hit campus

 

Wall was not arrested, please see below:

 

Wall's attorney, Anna E. Smith, issued a statement saying: "Mr. Wall was not arrested. He was simply given a citation and we are fully cooperating with the District Attorney's office to resolve this matter as soon as possible."

 

 

 

You just don't like UK do you?

Wall was not arrested, please see below:

 

Wall's attorney, Anna E. Smith, issued a statement saying: "Mr. Wall was not arrested. He was simply given a citation and we are fully cooperating with the District Attorney's office to resolve this matter as soon as possible."

 

 

 

You just don't like UK do you?

I was not aware of the clarification. Thanks.

 

I root for UK. I don't drink the blue Kool-Aid however. I don't think there is some media conspiracy to bring down the UK Hoops Empire. I don't think the NCAA rigs the tourney brackets against UK. All of which have been threads started here on BGP.

 

I just try and look at it from neutral standpoint. When they do well, I give them credit. But if there is a hint of smoke, I will question it before it becomes fire.

 

I have said all along there is no way Sandy Bell signs off on the Calipari hire if there were any hint of inpropriety. And I'm sure she's been equally busy with the recruitment of Wall. If there was any question, she would have him held out of activities and practice.

 

Like I said, Calipari is going to recruit a style and personality of players to UK the fanbase, media, and public aren't used to. And as long as they win, it won't be questioned by the fan base.

I was not aware of the clarification. Thanks.

 

I root for UK. I don't drink the blue Kool-Aid however. I don't think there is some media conspiracy to bring down the UK Hoops Empire. I don't think the NCAA rigs the tourney brackets against UK. All of which have been threads started here on BGP.

 

I just try and look at it from neutral standpoint. When they do well, I give them credit. But if there is a hint of smoke, I will question it before it becomes fire.

 

I have said all along there is no way Sandy Bell signs off on the Calipari hire if there were any hint of inpropriety. And I'm sure she's been equally busy with the recruitment of Wall. If there was any question, she would have him held out of activities and practice.

 

 

 

Like I said, Calipari is going to recruit a style and personality of players to UK the fanbase, media, and public aren't used to. And as long as they win, it won't be questioned by the fan base.

 

Great post, and I agree with you on all points. I don't drink it either, I am just a fan for a very long time and love their tradition. If something is wrong or if I think they are screwing up, I will be the first one in line to call them out. I think that's why I loved Cawood Ledford so much, he called it like he saw it, and when they were stinkin' it up, he would tell you so. I am a huge fan, but they are not above anything or any other program. As long as they play by the rules, they will have me as a fan.

Wrong again. UNC has already passed UK in wins several years ago, and UK took it back. So it's not a big deal. I think it's a much bigger deal to UNC fans. My good friend is a UNC fan, and it's all he talks about. I don't think you know UK fans very well. I think you are stereotyping big time.

 

Nahh

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.