Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Russell Red Devils Rebuild

Featured Replies

 

The Red Devils will make some noise in the 16th. Everyone back, bigger and stronger. Kidwell will be smiling come February.

So are you saying they are in the process of rebuilding or have already rebuilt?

Rebuilding from what would be my question.

Rebuilding from what would be my question.

 

:ohbrother:

 

28-5 three years ago when they lost everyone after that season.:walk: The Devils had been to the region semis or better for 5 straight seasons before this senior class graduated. Had Vanhoose not blown out his knee in the districts, the Devils were a heavy favorite to win the region over Elliott Co. The season before Russell went to state they were defeated by Rowan Co in the finals. Russell's leading scorer, Derek Sloane dislocated his shoulder in the first quarter and continued to play but was ineffective.

 

Everyone involved knew it would be three years to rebuild before the Devils bounced back. This should be the year to win 10-12 games with the seniors they have. There should only be improvement from this point on.:popcorn:

Mr. Duck, I know Dodd was your boy, and I'm quite sure you will be swift to jump to his defense, but he left this program swirlin' waiting on the flush. I understand your loyalty, and would expect nothing less from a man with your character. But quite frankly, there had to be an exorcism before there could be a resurrection

 

 

 

Only in America, baby!

The Red Devils will make some noise in the 16th. Everyone back, bigger and stronger. Kidwell will be smiling come February.

 

Every time I have seen comments on the 16th region favorites this year, I have noticed that Russell is usually left out. It is good to see someone who thinks the same as myself! I think this team has the potential to be very good this year. I look for them to have probably up to 10 guys who can contribute quite a bit. They have a lot of players who can handle the ball and shoot 3's. They just lack the size underneath other than Davidson.

Every time I have seen comments on the 16th region favorites this year, I have noticed that Russell is usually left out. It is good to see someone who thinks the same as myself! I think this team has the potential to be very good this year. I look for them to have probably up to 10 guys who can contribute quite a bit. They have a lot of players who can handle the ball and shoot 3's. They just lack the size underneath other than Davidson.

 

Might be a rocky start with so many playing football depending on how deep Russell goes in the playoffs. One hurt already but should improve their physical presence.

Mr. Duck, I know Dodd was your boy, and I'm quite sure you will be swift to jump to his defense, but he left this program swirlin' waiting on the flush. I understand your loyalty, and would expect nothing less from a man with your character. But quite frankly, there had to be an exorcism before there could be a resurrection

 

 

 

Only in America, baby!

 

We will just have to disagree 100% on this!

Dodd left the program with a three year plan in place after losing 11 of the top 13 from the previous year. He started Kyle Skaggs as a 7th grader and took the heat so the Devils would be ready to compete this year, with a good group of seniors. By the end of this season the Devils should be very capable of beating anyone in the 16th, although I only predict 10-12 wins during the season.

So I have a question then for you Mr. Duck. If Dodd had some master plan, why did so few kids play in the 25 win season? Seriously, Dodd played his top 6 and that's it. Are you insinuating that his master plan included allowing some kids to mire away on the bench without a sniff of the hardwood. Jacob Ferguson for instance. Terrific talent, splinters his junior season. So many in fact that he nearly bailed his senior season. You can preach the Kyle Skaggs angle, however, how many of those seniors this season saw time? Answer, goose egg. So that sort of poo poos the notion of the "3 year plan". I will say that his team was fundamentally sound. Triple threat after every pass.

 

I'm not here to bash the former coach, it's not my intention. I hope that the Red Devils do well this season. They have a chance to make some noise, just like the other 12 or so teams that could vie for a regional crown in this mediocre region. But the title says "rebuild". That seems to have the connotation that they were once built. Not sure that they had any "homegrown" talent there. It was cultivated elsewhere, and that's a fact.

Dodd had a plan alright. His plan was to bring in talent from surrounding schools, win now and sacrifice the future. Russell has paid the price.

So I have a question then for you Mr. Duck. If Dodd had some master plan, why did so few kids play in the 25 win season? Seriously, Dodd played his top 6 and that's it. Are you insinuating that his master plan included allowing some kids to mire away on the bench without a sniff of the hardwood. Jacob Ferguson for instance. Terrific talent, splinters his junior season. So many in fact that he nearly bailed his senior season. You can preach the Kyle Skaggs angle, however, how many of those seniors this season saw time? Answer, goose egg. So that sort of poo poos the notion of the "3 year plan". I will say that his team was fundamentally sound. Triple threat after every pass.

 

I'm not here to bash the former coach, it's not my intention. I hope that the Red Devils do well this season. They have a chance to make some noise, just like the other 12 or so teams that could vie for a regional crown in this mediocre region. But the title says "rebuild". That seems to have the connotation that they were once built. Not sure that they had any "homegrown" talent there. It was cultivated elsewhere, and that's a fact.[/QUOTE]

 

Since you've asked, I'll try to help you understand a little better. This year's seniors were freshmen that year and played on the freshman team. To have gotten them playing time that year, Dodd would have to have gone 14-20 deep, if they even dressed. That was the best team that Russell had in the 6 years that Dodd was at Russell and they would have played well at state, had Vanhoose not gone down in districts. The following year, as sophomores, they played a lot. As far as Ferguson, there was much more involved in him almost quitting than I am willing to get into here.

 

How many other area teams have not had transfers contribute?:deadhorse:

Vanhoose and Blair played all four years at Russell.:idunno: But, doesn't Russell have several kids this year that have transferred from other schools?:confused:

So I have a question then for you Mr. Duck. If Dodd had some master plan, why did so few kids play in the 25 win season? Seriously, Dodd played his top 6 and that's it. Are you insinuating that his master plan included allowing some kids to mire away on the bench without a sniff of the hardwood. Jacob Ferguson for instance. Terrific talent, splinters his junior season. So many in fact that he nearly bailed his senior season. You can preach the Kyle Skaggs angle, however, how many of those seniors this season saw time? Answer, goose egg. So that sort of poo poos the notion of the "3 year plan". I will say that his team was fundamentally sound. Triple threat after every pass.

 

I'm not here to bash the former coach, it's not my intention. I hope that the Red Devils do well this season. They have a chance to make some noise, just like the other 12 or so teams that could vie for a regional crown in this mediocre region. But the title says "rebuild". That seems to have the connotation that they were once built. Not sure that they had any "homegrown" talent there. It was cultivated elsewhere, and that's a fact.[/QUOTE]

 

Since you've asked, I'll try to help you understand a little better. This year's seniors were freshmen that year and played on the freshman team. To have gotten them playing time that year, Dodd would have to have gone 14-20 deep, if they even dressed. That was the best team that Russell had in the 6 years that Dodd was at Russell and they would have played well at state, had Vanhoose not gone down in districts. The following year, as sophomores, they played a lot. As far as Ferguson, there was much more involved in him almost quitting than I am willing to get into here.

 

How many other area teams have not had transfers contribute?:deadhorse:

Vanhoose and Blair played all four years at Russell.:idunno: But, doesn't Russell have several kids this year that have transferred from other schools?:confused:

What about he Robinson kid?

 

And Russell had one player last season on the varsity who transferred from Carroll County. Parents from Russell and moved back. This team and that team aren't remotely similar transfer wise.

Edited by Don King

[quote=duck1220;3516516

How many other area teams have not had transfers contribute?:deadhorse:

 

Plenty. However, you must understand the consequences. Dodd mortgaged the future for the present and he did so by bringing players in and discarding the Russell kids. Hard to argue with the results he won a regional title and might have one another if not for the injury to Vanhoose. Plus, he can say that his team scored in the high 20's in Rupp Arena. Which would have been great if they were taking the ACT.

Plenty. However, you must understand the consequences. Dodd mortgaged the future for the present and he did so by bringing players in and discarding the Russell kids. Hard to argue with the results he won a regional title and might have one another if not for the injury to Vanhoose. Plus, he can say that his team scored in the high 20's in Rupp Arena. Which would have been great if they were taking the ACT.

 

The best players played, period. Also, had Sloane not re-dislocated his shoulder in the first quarter final against Rowan Co, we might be talking about a 3-peat. But, injuries are a part of the game.

 

The team that went to state was over-matched. They would not have been the following year, with a healthy vanhoose.

What about he Robinson kid?

 

And Russell had one player last season on the varsity who transferred from Carroll County. Parents from Russell and moved back. This team and that team aren't remotely similar transfer wise.

 

What about the Robinson kid? :deadhorse:

 

What about the Hunt kid transferring last year and playing varsity this year in addition to the Ross kid last year.

 

What about the Turner kid at Ashland, Terry at Fairview, etc,etc,etc.:deadhorse:

 

I have no problem with kids that transfer to any school. I don't understand why you do.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.