Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Holmes/Bellevue Predictions

Who wins? 73 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

I'm surprised at how strongly people are for Holmes in this thread and in the NKY Contest Picks. I guess I should have picked a different game, but I honestly thought this one would be a toss-up, maybe slightly favoring Holmes. I guess this isn't the Holmes of old anymore. I still think it'll be a reasonably close game, though apparently the rest of NKY disagrees with me (as did Guru, who told me not to pick this game!)

I really love both of these programs. I'm pulling for the Tigers, but I believe the Dogs may have too much to handle. By taking-on 4A Holmes, Bellevue takes a big step toward preparing for a play-off run. Coach Lickert needs to have his guys focused, or else the pride and desire of their small school opponent may make for an interesting ball game.

Both teams are coming off of big wins. I think Holmes will win, but I think it will be a good, close game.

  • Author
I saw both teams play last week at Newport. After seeing both teams, I believe Holmes is the better team. Plus I think its just a good matchup for Holmes. Buckley is not going to be able to really outrun any of the guys for Holmes, plus Holmes has some big guys up front just like Bellevue. So I think Bellevue will struggle to do much on the offensive side of the ball. I think Holmes speed on offense will end up putting up some points for them, and special teams as well. Bellevue really struggled on special teams against Newport. Special teams alone kept Newport in the game or otherwise it should have been a blow out. If that happens again this week, that will kill Bellevue. Then finally I think Holmes is close to as good as Holy Cross if not as good, and well Holy Cross took it to Bellevue. They really could have named the score if they kept their starters in longer. I know I do think Bellevue makes a better showing than they did the Holy Cross game, however I think it still will be about a 3 touchdown difference.

 

 

FC you have some very valid points. The biggest area of concern for me is the special teams. I would think after looking at the films the Bellevue coaches would make some changes in personnel on special teams to go against a team of Holmes caliber. In a small school the talent level falls way off after the first 13-15 guys. I think the coaching staff was comfortable enough in thinking that they could handle Newport that they tried to give some of the other guys a little reward for practicing hard with playing time. If Bellevue is to be serious about winning this game then they will have to put in the first tear players on special teams. I think your right as far as the offense not out running anyone on this very athletic Holmes team. If you were at the game when Bellevue played Holy Cross, Bellevue actually drove the ball right down the field their first possession of the game. They didn't do anything fancy and didn't really run outside. If they are to have a chance against a faster team in Holmes they will have to run good old fashion Bellevue football and that is 3 downs and a cloud of dust, get your first down and do it again. Bellevue will have to execute and be mistake free to be in this game. Although I think Holmes has some very talented athletics the QB (Walker ?) from Holy Cross is more impressive and more elusive therefore posed a bigger problem for Bellevues Defense. Bellevues chances in this game in my opinion will come down to their defense. Can they hold Holmes to under 21? If they can then they have a chance in my opinion.

I like Holmes by a few td's. To much speed for Bellevue to contend with..:thumb:

I look for Holmes to win this game. However, I do think the game will be close. I share the opinion of many, which think that Coach Lickert is one of the top young coaches in NKY. I have no doubt that he has this program heading in the right direction.

 

As stated throughout this thread, this game will help Bellevue prepare for there season as well as the playoffs tremendously.

 

Best of luck to both teams

Holmes 35-16.

Holmes wins this one, and Coach Lickert will get the Dawg's first winning season since 2001.

 

Those were the days lol... Hope the dogs can turn the fortunes around and at least re-capture some of the hope and success of the teams from 99-01

Bellevue punches Holmes in the mouth and comes out with the shocking vistory over the much faster team. Bellevue 27 - Holmes 15

Be interesting to see in Bellevue DB's are able to handle Holmes receiving corp. Hope the tigers DB coach worked them hard this week!

I'm surprised at how strongly people are for Holmes in this thread and in the NKY Contest Picks. I guess I should have picked a different game, but I honestly thought this one would be a toss-up, maybe slightly favoring Holmes. I guess this isn't the Holmes of old anymore. I still think it'll be a reasonably close game, though apparently the rest of NKY disagrees with me (as did Guru, who told me not to pick this game!)

 

When I first read this post, it really ticked me off. I played on one of those Holmes teams of old and we took our lumps but we were a playoff contender every other year; in a district with Fort Thomas Highlands and Park Hills Catholic nonetheless.

 

But then I thought about it some more and I guess we had our problems. We tended to get down when scored on rapidly, we played jerseys, and my last two years we were terribly susceptible to the power game (sometimes two LBs just aren’t enough).

 

I haven’t seen Holmes play this year, I was happy to hear they beat Lloyd. Now admittedly I have strong connections to both schools, but I am going to lay out how I think it is conceivable that Bellevue could win this game.

 

If I were coaching Bellevue, I would play a power game and control the clock. If Bellevue can execute this type of game plan (lord knows they have the coach and the personnel) then I would say their chances go up precipitously. The secret will be not letting the Bulldogs score early and not to get into a shoot out with them. If it goes this way I can see Bellevue winning if not I think it could be Dawgs all the way.

 

That being said; my inner optimist will take the Tigers in a close one:

 

Bellevue 21

Covington Holmes 14

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.