Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Oldham County 2009/2010

Featured Replies

What does Oldham County need to do to improve in 2009/2010? What do they need to keep doing to be successful? Remember, please be constructive.

The Colonels are a bit of a mystery right now, because it's somewhat unknown what first-year coach Jason Holland will do with the cards he's been dealt. Holland did a great job at Henry County over the past couple of years, and instilled a no-nonsense, blue-collar attitude in New Castle that resulted in a tremendous uptick in the Wildcats' fortunes this past season.

 

"No-nonsense, hard-working, blue-collar" basketball was often a good description of some of Gary Forrest's better OC teams, so if Holland can duplicate his Henry County program in Buckner, quick success may be in the cards. Holland's team last year at Henry seemed to be one of the better-prepared teams in the region...

Coach Holland did an excellent job with Henry County. I think he will do the same at Oldham.

No disrespect to Coach Holland, but he can not hold Gary Forrest's jock when it comes to coaching at this point. Forrest took Oldham to the big show when he had to beat Scott to get there. Top quality coach. His record has numerous district and regional titles. Holland was at the largest school in a weak district and did not win a district championship while he was at Henry. Granted, Henry was a wreck when he took the job and he did build them into a respectable squad. Not looking to bash Holland, but they had a better coach last year than they are going to have this year!!

I don't think Oldham's schedule will be what the former HC coach is used to. At HC they were able to play very small schools (while winning some and losing some), they built some confidence that way. I don't, however, see OC being able to get Cornerstone Christian and schools like that on the schedule. OC will see a dramtic drop off in the wins/losses column if Holland can't get it more user friendly like he's used to. How long will they tolerate that? It's always tough to follow a legend.

Coach Holland is an amazing coach. I played for him for 3 years and he knows what he is doing. I bet by the end he will be right there with Forrest in the OC coaching ranks. I have faith in him.

He may very well do great things. He has done better than most at Henry. I just don't understand the viewpoint from some that Oldham is going to be better because of Holland. Oldham has been good for years. When you look at the banners on the wall, they are used to winning 20, winning districts, and contending to go to state every year. Their player talent will be athletic and young - not experienced and skilled, there coach is young, new, and has never won a district tournament - I think Holland will do well, Oldham will do well - I just don't see them as a regional contender this year, which is what this thread was originally about.

He may very well do great things. He has done better than most at Henry. I just don't understand the viewpoint from some that Oldham is going to be better because of Holland. Oldham has been good for years. When you look at the banners on the wall, they are used to winning 20, winning districts, and contending to go to state every year. Their player talent will be athletic and young - not experienced and skilled, there coach is young, new, and has never won a district tournament - I think Holland will do well, Oldham will do well - I just don't see them as a regional contender this year, which is what this thread was originally about.

 

Where are you hearing this? Certainly not from this poster. You can't compare a young coach like Holland with a legend like Gary Forrest - either for good or for ill. What Gary Forrest did at Oldham County was incredible...forget the three times he won the region with the hands-down best teams...think about the two times he won the 8th region with talent that didn't compare with the teams he was busy beating. Of all the coaches I've covered in 30 years following the Colonels, Gary's one of my all-time favorites. Better yet was the way he tried to mold his kids into better people.

 

You don't replace guys like Forrest...you put new folks in their shoes and hope they are good enough to grow into them. But Gary's accomplishments took 20+ years...I think we can afford to give Coach Holland a little time to make his own way! :cool:

I don't think Oldham's schedule will be what the former HC coach is used to. At HC they were able to play very small schools (while winning some and losing some), they built some confidence that way. I don't, however, see OC being able to get Cornerstone Christian and schools like that on the schedule. OC will see a dramtic drop off in the wins/losses column if Holland can't get it more user friendly like he's used to. How long will they tolerate that? It's always tough to follow a legend.

 

A user friendly schedule? Henry played Shelby Valley last year, Gallatin 4 times, Owen 4 times and other schools that were in their regional tournaments last year. Cornerstone Christian is a very underrated team as well, people over look them. They have a lot of talent for a extremely small private school. If they were still in the All "A" they would be the favorite to win. As a coach you have to put your team in situations and games that challenge them, but also build some confidence. You also try to schedule about 7-10 for sure wins and playing in the NCKC takes up 14 games of a year schedule so that leaves hardly room for those games. Also they played in the All "A" last year so that took games away as well. I believe in the past they have played teams like South Oldham and Anderson county ( who Holland had to drop last year because of the amount of games) .Not to mention the NCKC had two teams in the final four of the region last year and the year before it lost the region by 1 point. Just because a school is a single "A" school does not mean that the school is a cupcake. Also the district Henry plays in is an extremely tough district to win. Will Oldham struggle next year? Who knows, they have talent and some experience so it will be up in the air but Holland will do well at Oldham. Holland was the best person to fill the shoes of Gary Forest.

I think Jason will do well. Only time will tell, of course; expectations are a bit higher in Oldham County. But I'll tell you that Jason's a personable guy who will work as hard as it takes. It'll be important for the OC fans to give him a year...Oldham's top talent is in their younger grades...

I think Jason will do well. Only time will tell, of course; expectations are a bit higher in Oldham County. But I'll tell you that Jason's a personable guy who will work as hard as it takes. It'll be important for the OC fans to give him a year...Oldham's top talent is in their younger grades...[/QUOT

 

:thumb:

A user friendly schedule? Henry played Shelby Valley last year, Gallatin 4 times, Owen 4 times and other schools that were in their regional tournaments last year. Cornerstone Christian is a very underrated team as well, people over look them. They have a lot of talent for a extremely small private school. If they were still in the All "A" they would be the favorite to win. As a coach you have to put your team in situations and games that challenge them, but also build some confidence. You also try to schedule about 7-10 for sure wins and playing in the NCKC takes up 14 games of a year schedule so that leaves hardly room for those games. Also they played in the All "A" last year so that took games away as well. I believe in the past they have played teams like South Oldham and Anderson county ( who Holland had to drop last year because of the amount of games) .Not to mention the NCKC had two teams in the final four of the region last year and the year before it lost the region by 1 point. Just because a school is a single "A" school does not mean that the school is a cupcake. Also the district Henry plays in is an extremely tough district to win. Will Oldham struggle next year? Who knows, they have talent and some experience so it will be up in the air but Holland will do well at Oldham. Holland was the best person to fill the shoes of Gary Forest.

 

I'm not buying it. Conerstone Christian should not compete with a school the size of Henry County. Playing in the NCKC may make your recored look good, but doesn't get prepared for a regional title in my opinion (playing in that conference is a choice, not a mandate). So yes, I stand by my user friendly comment. Of the games he played, they were ALL very winnable outside of perhaps Shelby Valley (whom HC only played beacuse they ended up in the "All A"-the largest school in the ALl A I might add. I do enjoy watching OC athletics, and wish them the best of luck. :thumb:

I'm not buying it. Conerstone Christian should not compete with a school the size of Henry County. Playing in the NCKC may make your recored look good, but doesn't get prepared for a regional title in my opinion (playing in that conference is a choice, not a mandate). So yes, I stand by my user friendly comment. Of the games he played, they were ALL very winnable outside of perhaps Shelby Valley (whom HC only played beacuse they ended up in the "All A"-the largest school in the ALl A I might add. I do enjoy watching OC athletics, and wish them the best of luck. :thumb:

 

Does that mean that a teams like Elliot County or Shelby Valley should compete with the 5 and 6A schools from Kentucky( going by football class system)? Elliot County went to the Beach Ball Classic over Christmas break and beat teams that have enrollment of 2,000 kids and Elliot has an enrollment of 320. Size does not have as much factor in Basketball as it does in football. Thats why we do not "class basketball. Conerstone Christian was one of the most underrated teams last year. It's too bad that they could not compete in the 8th because they would have shocked some people. Cornerstone had size last year, I believe they had a 6'6 kid that was getting looks from colleges in the area ( just heard that from a coach at Gtown college team camp). Again If Cornerstone had a team this year they would be in the finals of the 8th All "A".

Does that mean that a teams like Elliot County or Shelby Valley should compete with the 5 and 6A schools from Kentucky( going by football class system)? Elliot County went to the Beach Ball Classic over Christmas break and beat teams that have enrollment of 2,000 kids and Elliot has an enrollment of 320. Size does not have as much factor in Basketball as it does in football. Thats why we do not "class basketball. Conerstone Christian was one of the most underrated teams last year. It's too bad that they could not compete in the 8th because they would have shocked some people. Cornerstone had size last year, I believe they had a 6'6 kid that was getting looks from colleges in the area ( just heard that from a coach at Gtown college team camp). Again If Cornerstone had a team this year they would be in the finals of the 8th All "A".

 

I go no dog in this fight, but find this post interesting. That is not the reason we don't have classes in basketball, otherwise nobody would have classes in basketball (I think we are the only state left in the continental united states who still has a single class!). Size doesnt matter is a silly arguement. If I have 2000 kids to pull from my talent pool is larger...thus numbers do matter. Who chooses to play, is recruited out of the hallways...etc is what makes the difference. CSC would not be in the finals of the All A tournament. Look at who they played and beat last year...show me one QUALITY opponent they beat? Henry was their only mid-sized school of competition, and they got the W.

 

However, I do think Oldham will do well. I wish OC luck this year and have many good friends in that area. Best of luck to all teams in the 8th.

I go no dog in this fight, but find this post interesting. That is not the reason we don't have classes in basketball, otherwise nobody would have classes in basketball (I think we are the only state left in the continental united states who still has a single class!). Size doesnt matter is a silly arguement. If I have 2000 kids to pull from my talent pool is larger...thus numbers do matter. Who chooses to play, is recruited out of the hallways...etc is what makes the difference. CSC would not be in the finals of the All A tournament. Look at who they played and beat last year...show me one QUALITY opponent they beat? Henry was their only mid-sized school of competition, and they got the W.

 

However, I do think Oldham will do well. I wish OC luck this year and have many good friends in that area. Best of luck to all teams in the 8th.

 

It really is off-topic, but Cornerstone has had some pretty darn good teams that past few years. We'll never know, but I think it's VERY conceivable that they could have made the 8th Region all A final last year... When Cornerstone officially joins the 8th, they won't be a pushover...

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.