James Paxton to return to UK

NineOh

I agree...its ridiculous for the NCAA to allow kids to test the draft waters but expect them not to consult with an adviser/agent. You have George Steinbrenner and a 20 yr. old kid by himself at the bargaining table...Gee, who wins that negotiation?

That is really the point of all of this IMO! If you read UK's legal response to Paxton's suit, which is on their website, it is pretty obvious to me what this is about. I would dare say that everyone involved knows exactly what the requested meeting is about too.

The GM from the BlueJays is quoted in an article saying that (in so many words) he is dissappointed that they couldn't come to terms with Paxton, but that he had a tough "agent" representing him....and...if he could have gotten Paxton alone face to face he thinks he would have gotten the deal done! First, "thanks a lot pal"! What an idiot! Second, by rule, that is not allowed. You're not allowed to have an "agent", and you're not allowed to have anyone discuss, negotiate, meet, solicit, etc on your behalf. All communication has to be directly between the team and the kid only.

Finally and more to my point, that whole system is screwed up! UK, along with all the other schools, should be assisting Paxton and all kids in fighting and changing this unfair system. I understand rules against receiving payment or gifts, or promises of anything etc etc etc. But to expect these kids to deal with professional negotiators when they're literally making life changing, irreversable decisions in an environment that is intimidating and new to them without as much representation as possible is ridiculous!!!

Unfortunately, I'm afraid Paxton isn't just fighting the micro issue of not attending his interrogation; he's going to be fighting the legality of the entire system. The one positive, in that regard, is that the court system has sided with the kids on a couple of similar suits recently. I truly hope he gets this behind him quickly and successfully!!

• 1 month later...
UK deserves a bit of criticism on this one as well for the way they handled this, especially for not sticking up for their guy. Guess Ms. Bell doesn't walk on water after all, despite what you hear in the hoops forum. :idunno:
UK and the NCAA could/should end up with egg on their face from this. Best of luck to Paxton. I have enjoyed watching him pitch the last couple of seasons.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...