Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Words of Wisdom from an Outsider

Featured Replies

My partner at work just got back from a week stay at Disney World and he had this gem of a story to share with me.

 

While taking a break on a park bench in the park, a man and woman sat down beside him, after several minutes of conversation and the man disclosing that he was a resident of Canada, the man scanned the area with thousands of people and looked at my partner and said, "So, you Americans are have economy problems, uh?", this was slathered with sarcasm. My partner said, even someone from Canada gets it.

 

Then the Canadian said, "I hear you all are going to model your health care system after the one we have in Canada", my partner said, "it looks that way", the man then said while rolling his eyes, "Good luck with that".

 

There was more conversation, but you get the point. Someone from Canada can see, why can't the American people and politicians?

  • Replies 48
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have three friends from Spain that lived here for two years and they were flabbergasted by our healthcare system. One of my Kentucky friends went to Spain to visit them and while there had a medical emergency that ended up with a diagnosis of a heart irregularity. She was extremely pleased with the care and the process that she went through while there.

Is it possible that what we hear about Canada's single payer system is not as bad as its made out to be?

  • Author
Is it possible that what we hear about Canada's single payer system is not as bad as its made out to be?

Is it possible that all we hear about Canada's single payer system is not as good it's made out to be?

 

According to Micheal Moore, it's the best thing since Jelly doughnuts.

For reference's sake-

 

87% of all Candians report being "Very Satisfied" or "Somewhat Satisfied" with their health care services.

90% of all American report being "Very Satisfied" or "Somewhat Satisfied" with their health care services

 

91.5% of all Canadians report being "Very Satisfied" or "Somewhat Satisfied" with their physician services.

93.6% of all Americans report being "Very Satisfied" or "Somewhat Satisfied" with their physician services.

 

Numbers for the American uninsured are attached as well.

 

Perhaps the question becomes- do we make dramatic changes to the health care system for the betterment of the whole population, or just a certain sector (the American uninsured)?

What are the issues with the Canadian system that are troublesome?

  • Author
What are the issues with the Canadian system that are troublesome?

I have several friends who used to work in health care in Canada, talking to them would open alot of people's eyes. They have reported having patients die of appendicitis, while waiting for approval to have an appendectomy. Inexcusable.

 

I can relay many similar stories as well, people dieing while waiting for approval for heart catheterizations, and on, and on.

 

There are quite a few doctors in my area, that came from Canada, they are the most vocal about not doing what Canada does. Not mentioning the nurses, some of them are brought to tears even talking about it.

 

Simple fact: Do you want your health care professionals making you health care decisions? Or, do you want the government making your health care decisions?

What are the issues with the Canadian system that are troublesome?

 

I would also like to see this answered. Every country's health care system is a bit different, what are the specific aspects of Canada's that make it perform as poorly as alleged?

While taking a break on a park bench in the park, a man and woman sat down beside him, after several minutes of conversation and the man disclosing that he was a resident of Canada, the man scanned the area with thousands of people and looked at my partner and said, "So, you Americans are have economy problems, uh?", this was slathered with sarcasm. My partner said, even someone from Canada gets it.

 

So we don't have economic problems?

I have several friends who used to work in health care in Canada, talking to them would open alot of people's eyes. They have reported having patients die of appendicitis, while waiting for approval to have an appendectomy. Inexcusable.

 

I can relay many similar stories as well, people dieing while waiting for approval for heart catheterizations, and on, and on.

 

There are quite a few doctors in my area, that came from Canada, they are the most vocal about not doing what Canada does. Not mentioning the nurses, some of them are brought to tears even talking about it.

 

Simple fact: Do you want your health care professionals making you health care decisions? Or, do you want the government making your health care decisions?

 

I found these two links that I thought were interesting.

 

http://buelahman.wordpress.com/2009/06/13/debunking-canadian-health-care-myths-by-rhonda-hackett/

 

http://transgriot.blogspot.com/2009/06/10-busted-myths-about-canadian.html

  • Author
So we don't have economic problems?

As compared to what? Do we have economic problems worse than any other country? No. We are still better off then 99% of people. Are people mad because they don't get payed $57 a hour? Yes.

 

But, I'm not a regular P & R poster, so I will leave it at that. I just wanted to share the above story.

I have several friends who used to work in health care in Canada, talking to them would open alot of people's eyes. They have reported having patients die of appendicitis, while waiting for approval to have an appendectomy. Inexcusable.

 

I can relay many similar stories as well, people dieing while waiting for approval for heart catheterizations, and on, and on.

 

There are quite a few doctors in my area, that came from Canada, they are the most vocal about not doing what Canada does. Not mentioning the nurses, some of them are brought to tears even talking about it.

 

Simple fact: Do you want your health care professionals making you health care decisions? Or, do you want the government making your health care decisions?

 

While I agree with your presentations so far on this issue, the above questions you ask are a misnomer to me.

 

I, of course, want my health care professional making the decision. However, many of us have an Insurance Company that over rides the Health Care professional. In many cases I don't see the difference between the Insurance Company and Government. Both are doing it for the buck more than my health.

I, of course, want my health care professional making the decision. However, many of us have an Insurance Company that over rides the Health Care professional. In many cases I don't see the difference between the Insurance Company and Government. Both are doing it for the buck more than my health.

 

This is the point that is missing incessantly from health care debates. The US insurance industry does not deserve absolution from being a bureaucratic mess because it is "private."

  • Author
While I agree with your presentations so far on this issue, the above questions you ask are a misnomer to me.

 

I, of course, want my health care professional making the decision. However, many of us have an Insurance Company that over rides the Health Care professional. In many cases I don't see the difference between the Insurance Company and Government. Both are doing it for the buck more than my health.

A physician can normally jump though the hoops to get what the insurance company wants. But, the government only has to say "No", then claim sovereign immunity. You have no recourse.

While I agree with your presentations so far on this issue, the above questions you ask are a misnomer to me.

 

I, of course, want my health care professional making the decision. However, many of us have an Insurance Company that over rides the Health Care professional. In many cases I don't see the difference between the Insurance Company and Government. Both are doing it for the buck more than my health.

 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but in the US the insurance company can over ride the health care professional but the patient can still choose to follow the professionals advice at his own cost. In Canada the health insurance company (government) says no and that's it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.