Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cardinal Bernardin

Featured Replies

I was really surprised to hear BO make many references to Cardinal Joseph Bernardin in his speech at ND. I had never heard or read that Cardinal Bernardin had played such a significant role in forming BO's spiritual beliefs. I doubt that many, if any, of you were aware of this prior to the speech.

 

All indications, until he fell off the deep end, were that Jeremiah Wright had played the major role in developing BO's beliefs. Although he never heard Wright say anything radical, BO was a member of Wright's church for over 20 years. Still, Wright's name and influence were never mentioned in the speech.

 

Cardinal Bernardin was a great influence for social justice right up until his death on November 11, 1996. He would certainly have made a good role model and mentor for BO. It is strange that it was never mentioned before the speech.

 

And, since Cardinal Bernardin played such a major role in BO's spiritual evolution, it seems strange to me that BO doesn't seem to be aware of the proper pronunciation of the Carrdinal's last name. Very strange.

I was really surprised to hear BO make many references to Cardinal Joseph Bernardin in his speech at ND. I had never heard or read that Cardinal Bernardin had played such a significant role in forming BO's spiritual beliefs. I doubt that many, if any, of you were aware of this prior to the speech.

 

All indications, until he fell off the deep end, were that Jeremiah Wright had played the major role in developing BO's beliefs. Although he never heard Wright say anything radical, BO was a member of Wright's church for over 20 years. Still, Wright's name and influence were never mentioned in the speech.

 

Cardinal Bernardin was a great influence for social justice right up until his death on November 11, 1996. He would certainly have made a good role model and mentor for BO. It is strange that it was never mentioned before the speech.

 

And, since Cardinal Bernardin played such a major role in BO's spiritual evolution, it seems strange to me that BO doesn't seem to be aware of the proper pronunciation of the Carrdinal's last name. Very strange.

 

:sssh:

 

 

He has the best PR team money can buy.

 

He absolutely has the best speech writers that money can by.

 

He amazing at giving a speech, and captivating the audience.

 

 

He might go down as the worst President in history...................

I was really surprised to hear BO make many references to Cardinal Joseph Bernardin in his speech at ND. I had never heard or read that Cardinal Bernardin had played such a significant role in forming BO's spiritual beliefs. I doubt that many, if any, of you were aware of this prior to the speech.

 

All indications, until he fell off the deep end, were that Jeremiah Wright had played the major role in developing BO's beliefs. Although he never heard Wright say anything radical, BO was a member of Wright's church for over 20 years. Still, Wright's name and influence were never mentioned in the speech.

 

Cardinal Bernardin was a great influence for social justice right up until his death on November 11, 1996. He would certainly have made a good role model and mentor for BO. It is strange that it was never mentioned before the speech.

 

And, since Cardinal Bernardin played such a major role in BO's spiritual evolution, it seems strange to me that BO doesn't seem to be aware of the proper pronunciation of the Carrdinal's last name. Very strange.

 

:D :D

I'm not sure how the new UK coach pronounces his last name? Am I forbidden from rooting for him?

I'm not sure how the new UK coach pronounces his last name? Am I forbidden from rooting for him?

 

Nope, only from using him, saying he's been such an inspiration to you thru the years. It plays better if you know his name.

  • Author
I'm not sure how the new UK coach pronounces his last name? Am I forbidden from rooting for him?

 

Are you claiming that the new coach was a great spiritual inspiration to you and that he played a major role in developing your spiritual beliefs? If so, I would think you could at least pronounce his name correctly.

 

Maybe Cardinal Bernardin was a great inspiration to the teleprompter or to the individuals who wrote the message displayed on the teleprompter rather than BO. That would explain it since BO was merely reading preprinted words. Otherwise, how do you explain it in any believable manner?

Are you claiming that the new coach was a great spiritual inspiration to you and that he played a major role in developing your spiritual beliefs? If so, I would think you could at least pronounce his name correctly.

 

?

 

Louis Farrakhan inspired people in his day. Some pronounced it "fair-a-can" while others went with "fair-a-con."

 

Do you discredit them for not agreeing on how to pronounce it? Was their inspiration not real?

Is this the same Chicago area Cardinal that shut down several parochial schools and gave the money to ACORN??

Louis Farrakhan inspired people in his day. Some pronounced it "fair-a-can" while others went with "fair-a-con."

 

Do you discredit them for not agreeing on how to pronounce it? Was their inspiration not real?

While I really hate commenting on matters of this level of importance; if you A) can't pronounce his name and B) despite having unprecedented scrutiny of your religious beliefs throughout campaigning and yet have still never mentioned the Cardinal's name and C) do so for the first time at a Catholic institution; doesn't something seem a bit fishy?

Louis Farrakhan inspired people in his day. Some pronounced it "fair-a-can" while others went with "fair-a-con."

 

Do you discredit them for not agreeing on how to pronounce it? Was their inspiration not real?

 

I know this: if I was really and truly inspired by someone, I'd want to show him/her the respect of at least finding out how he/she pronounced his/her name and would pronounce it that way myself. But that's just how I was raised I guess.

I know this: if I was really and truly inspired by someone, I'd want to show him/her the respect of at least finding out how he/she pronounced his/her name and would pronounce it that way myself. But that's just how I was raised I guess.

 

Fine. We can agree, though, that not everyone is/was raised in the same manner as maybe you and I, right?

 

The point is simple. Mispronouncing a name does not cost you your right to "be inspired" by someone. Question motive. Question his 20 years with Rev. Wright but don't be silly and use the "he can't pronounce his name correctly" charge.

  • Author
Fine. We can agree, though, that not everyone is/was raised in the same manner as maybe you and I, right?

 

The point is simple. Mispronouncing a name does not cost you your right to "be inspired" by someone. Question motive. Question his 20 years with Rev. Wright but don't be silly and use the "he can't pronounce his name correctly" charge.

 

Spin all you want but you will not dilute the issue. BO tried to use Cardinal Bernardin to his advantage at ND by claiming a great "kinship of spiritual development" with the Cardinal. He is, after all, without peer in his ability to deliver the written word from his teleprompter. But, obviously his wordcrafters didn't properly prepare him for the performance. If one is instrumental in your spiritual development in such a major way as BO claimed, you do, at a minimum, know how to pronounce his name. That is irrefutable.

 

BO can't and didn't so it should raise questions about the honesty of his words.

 

You, from your "rebuttals", can offer no valid explanation for the gaff. Just admit it and move on.

Fine. We can agree, though, that not everyone is/was raised in the same manner as maybe you and I, right?

 

The point is simple. Mispronouncing a name does not cost you your right to "be inspired" by someone. Question motive. Question his 20 years with Rev. Wright but don't be silly and use the "he can't pronounce his name correctly" charge.

 

Sure we can agree with your first point. I'm not so upset that he can't pronounce the name; but rather the situation involved. Obama runs for office claiming that Wright was his inspiration (until Wright became an embarrassment). I don't recall Obama ever during his campaign saying that Bernardin was an inspiration or played a significant role in his spiritual beliefs. Do you? If Bernandin really played such a role, with Obama being as smart as he allegedly is, don't you think he'd have mentioned it a bit during his campaign to attract liberal and moderate Catholics?

 

Yet all of a sudden, when he is speaking at Notre Dame, he claims that Bernadin played a role in Obama's spiritual beliefs. That's not odd to you? Honestly? Seems really convenient to me. The mispronounciation of his name, while very trivial in itself, does lend some support to those that wonder if Obama isn't becoming the next Bill Clinton: tell them what they want to hear. As much as I disagree with Ted Kennedy's beliefs, I'll always respected the fact that he blantantly told you where he stood. No charades; no baloney.

 

And I think there are plenty of Democrats that are now beginning to wonder if Obama didn't do that to them when he was campaigning. Military tribunals were terrible; now with some "reforms" they are okay. NAFTA had to be renegotiated; now it doesn't and we can deal with some issues without renegotiation.

 

Sorry my friend, but while the mispronounciation of Bernandin's name doesn't in itself bother me, it does lend some support to the criticism that perhaps Obama wasn't being sincere in his comments. If he wasn't being sincere, do you think such falls in line with Obama transparency agenda? I don't.

 

And after having said all that, I didn't listen to Obama's speech so I'm trusting those that said Obama made those comments and mispronounced Bernadin's name. Perhaps a mistake on my part, but I'm living under those assumptions as I express my feelings.

While I really hate commenting on matters of this level of importance; if you A) can't pronounce his name and B) despite having unprecedented scrutiny of your religious beliefs throughout campaigning and yet have still never mentioned the Cardinal's name and C) do so for the first time at a Catholic institution; doesn't something seem a bit fishy?

 

Yes.

Spin all you want but you will not dilute the issue. BO tried to use Cardinal Bernardin to his advantage at ND by claiming a great "kinship of spiritual development" with the Cardinal. He is, after all, without peer in his ability to deliver the written word from his teleprompter. But, obviously his wordcrafters didn't properly prepare him for the performance. If one is instrumental in your spiritual development in such a major way as BO claimed, you do, at a minimum, know how to pronounce his name. That is irrefutable.

 

BO can't and didn't so it should raise questions about the honesty of his words.

 

You, from your "rebuttals", can offer no valid explanation for the gaff. Just admit it and move on.

 

Let me make sure I get this right. I point out the fallacy of your mispronunciation logic and I'm told to get it right.

 

Got it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.