Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

High School Umpires

Featured Replies

So I guess you expect the fans and coaches to sit quietly no matter how pathetic the calls are? Anytime you are getting paid to do a job you are subject to criticism.

 

So when are you planning to invite an umpire to sit behind you, at your job, so he can openly air, to everyone in your office, just how pathetic a job "he thinks" you're doing? You would probably be a little bit upset concerning the rudeness of it all now wouldn't you.

HT, you are the problem, not the solution! Do you know how frustrating it is to have your son on the mound not getting close strikes while a spectator, on your team, constantly harasses the ump over balls and strikes? Do you think the ump will say "Gee, I think I'll make that guy happy and call some marginal strikes"? NO, he's human, he's probably going to cop a bit of an attitude, dooming the pitcher, in this case... MY son.

  • Replies 48
  • Views 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most umpires/football officials/basketball referees could care less what is said from the stands as long as its not vulgar or threatening.

 

Very accurate observation, Clyde. If you are an umpire and you do care about fan criticism, you're definitely in the wrong profession. The sad part of this "time honored" tradition is that it does cause a number of otherwise good, young umpires to question the wisdom of their choice. The more experienced umpires have to tell them that the heckling is part of the deal (and usually has nothing to do with the job they are doing that day) and that they need to learn to block it out or they're in for a very unsatisfying experience. Every year two or three umpires quit or "retire" because they can't get used to the abuse or they finally get tired of listening to it. The guys that remain consider it an "occupational" hazard and tune it out.

 

PS...You learn a lot of self control in this business that carries over well into other aspects of your life. It's just that sometimes someone (or something) gets under your skin no matter how well trained you are to ignore it. You have to put on a "happy" face :D and pretend not to care. Like it or not, we're judged at a higher standard that players, fans, or coaches regarding our behavior.

  • Author
Very accurate observation, Clyde. If you are an umpire and you do care about fan criticism, you're definitely in the wrong profession. The sad part of this "time honored" tradition is that it does cause a number of otherwise good, young umpires to question the wisdom of their choice. The more experienced umpires have to tell them that the heckling is part of the deal (and usually has nothing to do with the job they are doing that day) and that they need to learn to block it out or they're in for a very unsatisfying experience. Every year two or three umpires quit or "retire" because they can't get used to the abuse or they finally get tired of listening to it. The guys that remain consider it an "occupational" hazard and tune it out.

 

PS...You learn a lot of self control in this business that carries over well into other aspects of your life. It's just that sometimes someone (or something) gets under your skin no matter how well trained you are to ignore it. You have to put on a "happy" face :D and pretend not to care. Like it or not, we're judged at a higher standard that players, fans, or coaches regarding our behavior.

 

Good post KYFEDUMP. I agree that it is most likely a thankless job. I just think that this year I have noticed a drastic decline in the quality of the umpiring in the games I have seen (Approximately 25 games or so) . I don't have anyone playing, I just enjoy watching the great game of high school baseball and have seen several differnet teams play this year.

So when are you planning to invite an umpire to sit behind you, at your job, so he can openly air, to everyone in your office, just how pathetic a job "he thinks" you're doing? You would probably be a little bit upset concerning the rudeness of it all now wouldn't you.

HT, you are the problem, not the solution! Do you know how frustrating it is to have your son on the mound not getting close strikes while a spectator, on your team, constantly harasses the ump over balls and strikes? Do you think the ump will say "Gee, I think I'll make that guy happy and call some marginal strikes"? NO, he's human, he's probably going to cop a bit of an attitude, dooming the pitcher, in this case... MY son.

 

Thats right. Let a group of people go to your job and tell you how to do it. You may know that you are doing it right, but yet they are telling you that you are not.

Do you think the ump will say "Gee, I think I'll make that guy happy and call some marginal strikes"? NO, he's human, he's probably going to cop a bit of an attitude, dooming the pitcher, in this case... MY son.

 

That is the problem. Umpires should not have this mentality.

High School Umpires have to take the Part I test and pass to become eligible to umpire high school baseball.

 

Coaches have to take a test as well. Coaches have to score a certain percentage (I am thinking its in the 90s), what percentage does the umpires have to score on their test?

Maybe the umps are the same as they always have been, the fans are getting better with the rules. I know I will hear rules discussion in the stands and I wonder if some people are at the right sporting event. Then I will hear other fans try to help them out and will have good knowledge of the game. Just a different angle on a discussion that will never end.

I am glad to see that others have noticed the decline in the quality and competancy of the umpires calling the games this year. How many times have GRC4LIFE and Hilltopper ever agreed on anything? :lol: So it has to be true.

 

:lol: If you guys are having the same umpires as we at GRC are having, which I'm sure you are, then I do feel your pain!! Most of the bad ones we've had I haven't seen before, maybe they are new. There are still a few very consistent and good ones out there but their numbers are dwindling. :ohbrother:

I understand your frustrations with officials and there is no excuse for poor performance or not knowing the rules, but most often belt high center of the plate fastballs and the failure to catch and throw lose more games than a missed or wrong call.

 

Best quote in this thread. Bad calls happen and they are part of the game. But they have FAR less impact on the outgame of a game than the poor play of players on the field.

My only and I mean only problem I have with the men in blue is calling the balls and strikes different from the 1st to last inning. If you are going to call a low strike call it all game long, or if you aren't going to call a low strike then don't call it all game long.

 

Have seen far too many men in blue change their strike zone from inning to inning and it isn't fair to either teams pitchers or the batters. Keep the strike zone the same from the 1st inning to the last and no matter what you call a strike Theolduy will be happy and so should the players. If a umpire does that, then the batters and pitchers can adjust to it and if they can't, well it's their problem not the man in blue.

Best quote in this thread. Bad calls happen and they are part of the game. But they have FAR less impact on the outgame of a game than the poor play of players on the field.

 

Thanks Cooperstown, I umpire (as you couldn't guess) and there have been several games my son has played in when I have too questioned the abilities of the umpire but that is part of the game.

 

If you work with a fellow umpire that stuggles then usually the partner works even harder to make sure the game runs as smoothly as possible.

 

As several have said until numbers improve you have to use what is available.

 

Help recruit!!!!

No one is beating down the door to become an umpire from my understanding. As a result the quality has gone down in some areas. As you stated, you have been around baseball for a long time, maybe you can offer up your services and become an umpire? Or perhaps petition your local schools to increase umpire fees to draw out more qualified candidates in and around your area?

 

And actually calling the 1st baseman off the bag at first in that situation isn't really the base umpires call. :sssh:

 

 

I agree!! You stated a great point that would bring out more people to umpire and officiate, not only in baseball. More people= better officials!

 

 

 

 

Oh, it is his call on the bases but he can ask for help on that. Usually the basecoach or playing will ask for an appeal and in that case he will asked the plate for help. The plate umpire has the first-base line and should be watching for a pulled foot.

Thanks Cooperstown, I umpire (as you couldn't guess) and there have been several games my son has played in when I have too questioned the abilities of the umpire but that is part of the game.

 

If you work with a fellow umpire that stuggles then usually the partner works even harder to make sure the game runs as smoothly as possible.

 

As several have said until numbers improve you have to use what is available.

 

Help recruit!!!!

 

 

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

 

 

People love to complain but they don't get involved. Be proactive!! Go out and join your local association and join the state, you will have a new perspective on officiating.

Very well put! But you missed one thing... the varsity umpires, if I'm accurate, make around $50 to call a game, argue with coaches, put up with often inappropriate comments from teenagers and not forgetting about fans who always see the strikezone better from their seats than the umpire who is right behind the catcher or can make calls more acurately when they're 150ft. away than a base umpire who happens to be in perfect position to make the call.

 

I've umpired as a teenager in knothole and have coached on the HS level, it's hard work... yes, work. My hat is off to the boys in blue who put up with the ever increasing whinings of the "fans". CHEER FOR YOUR TEAM AND LET THE UMPS DO THEIR JOB!

 

 

 

GREAT POST!!

  • Author
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

 

 

People love to complain but they don't get involved. Be proactive!! Go out and join your local association and join the state, you will have a new perspective on officiating.

 

I coached for 17 years and was involved in Boosters for 9 years. I have seen many umpires over the years. My only complaint was that this years crop seem to be the weakest I have ever seen. Do you ever complain when the $6 worker at McDonalds messes up your order? Umps get $50 a game they can take a little complaining and either get used to it, get better or get over it.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.