Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

High School Umpires

Featured Replies

I coached for 17 years and was involved in Boosters for 9 years. I have seen many umpires over the years. My only complaint was that this years crop seem to be the weakest I have ever seen. Do you ever complain when the $6 worker at McDonalds messes up your order? Umps get $50 a game they can take a little complaining and either get used to it, get better or get over it.

 

Officiating is the only job in which you are EXPECTED to be PERFECT!! Everybody thinks they can do the job better than you. Everyone is an expert, everyone knows the rules, and everyone is a critic and it's not a "little complaining". I'm not exactly sure what region or association of umpires for which you speak of, nor do I know what level you speak whether it be varsity, JV, or middle school but I know for a fact that the assigner in our region is very very dedicated to the betterment of the umpires in both baseball and softball. He works hundreds of hours before the season even starts for their betterment. Of course you're going to have newer and lower rated umpires at lower levels but there are many very good umpires in our region. Many good upcoming umpires also. I'm sorry that you don't find the job they perform as satisfactory but again I say, come on out and make them better since you seem to know about the sport and umpiring. I'm sure the asigner can always use another good umpire. Good day!!

  • Replies 48
  • Views 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Officiating is the only job in which you are EXPECTED to be PERFECT!! Everybody thinks they can do the job better than you. Everyone is an expert, everyone knows the rules, and everyone is a critic and it's not a "little complaining". I'm not exactly sure what region or association of umpires for which you speak of, nor do I know what level you speak whether it be varsity, JV, or middle school but I know for a fact that the assigner in our region is very very dedicated to the betterment of the umpires in both baseball and softball. He works hundreds of hours before the season even starts for their betterment. Of course you're going to have newer and lower rated umpires at lower levels but there are many very good umpires in our region. Many good upcoming umpires also. I'm sorry that you don't find the job they perform as satisfactory but again I say, come on out and make them better since you seem to know about the sport and umpiring. I'm sure the asigner can always use another good umpire. Good day!!

 

I don't expect umpires to be perfect but I do expect them to be consistent, and that has been questionable at best in many of the games that I have seen this year.

I don't expect umpires to be perfect but I do expect them to be consistent, and that has been questionable at best in many of the games that I have seen this year.

 

Fair enough!

Fair enough!

 

Gentlemen,

Welcome to the yin and yang of the public view of the great profession of umpiring....as one of the great sages once said, " Beauty (or lack thereof) is in the eye of the beholder". :lol:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.