How does Billy Gillispie's 2009 team compare in talent?

strongopenyon

Eddie Sutton went 32-4 in 1986, his first year with Kentucky. The SEC was a much stronger conference that season. Which team had more talent?

UK (1986)

Kenny Walker

Winston Bennett

Ed Davender

James Blackmon

Roger Harden

UK (2009)

Patrick Patterson

Perry Stevenson

Jody Meeks

Darius Miller

Michael Porter

These two teams seem to be very close in style of players and talent to me! Players are about the same, their results are very different.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the overall talent of the players were not as strong then, but team for team I agree the conference was better. I still think this year's team is more talented, but I think a lot of times the offense isn't set up well for them.

Not in the SEC this season.

That is where we disagree, lol. I think the talent of each individual player is better now than it was then. As far as comparing to other conferences in the nation, the SEC talent is not as strong this year, but players are better, IMO...can you understand that? Cause I kind of confused myself I think. :confused::confused:

I personally had high expectations for this year's Cats based on what I thought to be a weak conference and a not too difficult non-conference schedule. Based on that, I thought 25 wins was doable.

I totally agree with you on that. 25 wins should not have been a long shot by any means. I think the Cats underachieved big time. They definitely have the talent on their team to have won 25 games. Who knows, maybe they still will :banana:

I totally agree with you on that. 25 wins should not have been a long shot by any means. I think the Cats underachieved big time. They definitely have the talent on their team to have won 25 games. Who knows, maybe they still will :banana:

Is it 3-0 or 4-0 for Kentucky to win the SEC tournament?

6-0 wins the NCAA tournament.

Is it 5-0 to win the NIT?

Is it 3-0 or 4-0 for Kentucky to win the SEC tournament?

6-0 wins the NCAA tournament.

Is it 5-0 to win the NIT?

For UK this season it will be 4-0 to win the SEC tourney. If they beat Florida Saturday they will have 20 wins. Winning the SEC tournament obviously automatically gets them in the Big Dance. But I think if they make it to the finals and lose which would put them at 23-12, they could get in with help from other bubble teams struggling. Would have to do some good things if they make it to the Big Dance to get to 25, but I have seen stranger things happen! :dancingpa