Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

This Weekend at SOAS

Featured Replies

After playing 4 games in the Scott County Stampede this weekend, the Knicks pulled off a win tonight at SOAS (U14) over Old Spice 36-30. They are undefeated in the league. Knicks play the Bulls next weekend.

On the subject of games played today was most of the boys' 52nd basketball game since NOv 1st combining school ball/AAU. The 3 Catholic boys on the roster its probably more like 80th game. WOW

 

Too many for boys that age. Too many for boys almost any age.

Too many for boys that age. Too many for boys almost any age.

 

It's a good thing we have the basketball police on board. What else should they be doing?? Selling drugs, playing video games???? 25 years ago, I would play basketball from sun up to sun down every day of the weekend and after school until dark. While they weren't official games, that's all most in my neighborhood did. I don't understand your position at all. I've seen you post numerous times on other threads and seem to know what you're talking about, however, the above statement shredded that thought. Two ways to get better at any sport....Practice and playing. I'm very confused????

It's a good thing we have the basketball police on board. What else should they be doing?? Selling drugs, playing video games???? 25 years ago, I would play basketball from sun up to sun down every day of the weekend and after school until dark. While they weren't official games, that's all most in my neighborhood did. I don't understand your position at all. I've seen you post numerous times on other threads and seem to know what you're talking about, however, the above statement shredded that thought. Two ways to get better at any sport....Practice and playing. I'm very confused????

 

Selling drugs? You couldn't come up with any more worn out cliches?

 

Your line of "practice or playing" is exactly what my point was in regards to. Simply playing 50+ games does not make you better. It actually re-enforces bad habits since playing that many games does not allow you time to work on your weaknesses. Secondly, playing that many games in AAU takes away from the experience of playing school ball. School ball is "just another game." "No big deal - I'll have 50 more this year."

 

However, if having your son/daughter become better is your goal, having them playing that many games is not the way to get there. Working with an individual instructor or on their own is MUCH better than playing that many games.

 

Lastly, they're kids. They've got other things they can be doing to have fun. If your whole childhood is sports you're missing out on a lot. If you're the parent, you're doing a disservice to your child by not forcing them to get out and try other things . Sports should be part of their childhood education and experience. It should NOT be their ENTIRE experience.

  • Author
After playing 4 games in the Scott County Stampede this weekend, the Knicks pulled off a win tonight at SOAS (U14) over Old Spice 36-30. They are undefeated in the league. Knicks play the Bulls next weekend.

 

Should be a great game this Sunday, Bulls - Knicks... Bulls beat WolfPack yesterday to remain undefeated. It was a tough game in the first half, only 7 players for Bulls yesterday. Tied at 19 at half and final 56- 35.

S It should NOT be their ENTIRE experience.

 

Why not?

 

My brother CHOOSES to play AAU basketball. He would rather be playing basketball than anything else..

Selling drugs? You couldn't come up with any more worn out cliches?

 

Your line of "practice or playing" is exactly what my point was in regards to. Simply playing 50+ games does not make you better. It actually re-enforces bad habits since playing that many games does not allow you time to work on your weaknesses. Secondly, playing that many games in AAU takes away from the experience of playing school ball. School ball is "just another game." "No big deal - I'll have 50 more this year."

 

However, if having your son/daughter become better is your goal, having them playing that many games is not the way to get there. Working with an individual instructor or on their own is MUCH better than playing that many games.

 

Lastly, they're kids. They've got other things they can be doing to have fun. If your whole childhood is sports you're missing out on a lot. If you're the parent, you're doing a disservice to your child by not forcing them to get out and try other things . Sports should be part of their childhood education and experience. It should NOT be their ENTIRE experience.

 

I disagree with most, but that's why you get to have your opinion. I'm not sure that forcing a kid to do something will endear them to an activity. Parenting is not about forcing but about leading.

I disagree with most, but that's why you get to have your opinion. I'm not sure that forcing a kid to do something will endear them to an activity. Parenting is not about forcing but about leading.

 

We agree that I'm expressing my opinion.

 

I am interested to hear your thoughts though to my point that playing that many games does not allow time for individual instruction and that playing that many games re-enforces bad habits.

Why not?

 

My brother CHOOSES to play AAU basketball. He would rather be playing basketball than anything else..

 

Its our job as adults to enlighten boys like your brother that while he loves playing basketball there are many other experiences he should partake in. Unless you believe your brother and all other teenagers already have life figured out.....

We agree that I'm expressing my opinion.

 

I am interested to hear your thoughts though to my point that playing that many games does not allow time for individual instruction and that playing that many games re-enforces bad habits.

 

Totally disagree that playing that many games does not allow time for individual instruction. Most, if not all, AAU games are on the weekends. That leaves up to 5 days for individual instruction.

 

As to reinforcing, not re-enforcing, bad habits, that goes along with individual instruction, coaching, etc...... The more time a kid spends on the court, regardless if it's practicing, playing, etc., the better the kid will get. Now each player has only so much talent, so how good someone can get is limited to the amount of talent one has.

We agree that I'm expressing my opinion.

 

I am interested to hear your thoughts though to my point that playing that many games does not allow time for individual instruction and that playing that many games re-enforces bad habits.

 

50 games is much better than 13 games....which is what I played back in the day before AAU. Individual instruction is the parents responsibility. I take my son's to the gym regularly to work on shooting, rips, jab steps, ball fakes, up & unders and dribbling. If we work hard and fast were done in 45 minutes to an hour. I try my best to find quality coaches but my kid's development is on me.

I think its really about the individual kid and how they view the game. If a kid loves to play the game they will enjoy all 50 games and also go to the gym or out in the drive way and work on their game.

 

Playing more competetive games is definitely better than playing less. I see the difference in kids who don't play enough games and how they have not developed in the past 2 yrs.

I helped coach a very good school team a few years ago and we played something like 56 games. We had 2 of the better players in NKY for their grade. Both showed up. Neither had to be pushed by their parents. Both thought they loved the game enough to do it.

 

Neither finished their high school careers. They simply got tired of it.

 

They're not unique.

I helped coach a very good school team a few years ago and we played something like 56 games. We had 2 of the better players in NKY for their grade. Both showed up. Neither had to be pushed by their parents. Both thought they loved the game enough to do it.

 

Neither finished their high school careers. They simply got tired of it.

 

They're not unique.

 

2 out of probably 200.....like I said its all about the individual kid. My son doesnt have any practice all week but a game on Sunday. Where was he tonight, up at the YMCA shooting hoops with his buddies.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.