Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Fall Turkey Season

Featured Replies

Shotgun: Oct. 25-31

 

Anyone hunting?

 

I'll be in the woods tomorrow.

 

 

No more than two (2) birds may be taken during shotgun season, regardless of weapon. (Bow hunting permitted)

 

• No more than one (1) bird may have a beard length of three (3) inches or longer.

 

• No more than one (1) bird may be taken per day.

Edited by cvillecat

Going out later today with a buddy of mine and his father. His dad recently suffered a stroke and is partially immobile (basically confined to a wheelchair). The son said his dad is an avid hunter and wants to give it a try so we are putting him in a 2-man blind with the son. I am going to setup nearby with decoys and try calling a few birds to them.

 

I have never tried this setup before but I suspect we will have some success as there are lots of birds on the property.

Well we were late getting into the field, but we set up anyway. About 11:15 we saw several hens coming our way from about 150 yds out. They got as close as 40 yds, but never any closer. No shots were taken by the son or his father. Even though we did not get one today, just taking my buddy's dad turkey hunting and getting him out of the house was worth it to me.

 

I have read about hunts for the disabled before but never participated in one until today. It was well worth it in my opinion and the conversations with the father and son after all the hunting was done made me thankful I took them.

 

If any of you ever get a chance to take someone disabled on an outdoor adventure, do it. You'll be glad you did.:thumb:

  • Author
Well we were late getting into the field, but we set up anyway. About 11:15 we saw several hens coming our way from about 150 yds out. They got as close as 40 yds, but never any closer. No shots were taken by the son or his father. Even though we did not get one today, just taking my buddy's dad turkey hunting and getting him out of the house was worth it to me.

 

I have read about hunts for the disabled before but never participated in one until today. It was well worth it in my opinion and the conversations with the father and son after all the hunting was done made me thankful I took them.

 

If any of you ever get a chance to take someone disabled on an outdoor adventure, do it. You'll be glad you did.:thumb:

 

:thumb: Great post.

Well we were late getting into the field, but we set up anyway. About 11:15 we saw several hens coming our way from about 150 yds out. They got as close as 40 yds, but never any closer. No shots were taken by the son or his father. Even though we did not get one today, just taking my buddy's dad turkey hunting and getting him out of the house was worth it to me.

 

I have read about hunts for the disabled before but never participated in one until today. It was well worth it in my opinion and the conversations with the father and son after all the hunting was done made me thankful I took them.

 

If any of you ever get a chance to take someone disabled on an outdoor adventure, do it. You'll be glad you did.:thumb:

Sorry there wasn't an opportunity to take a bird but it sounds like you were successful any way.

Sorry there wasn't an opportunity to take a bird but it sounds like you were successful any way.

 

Very successful indeed.

The old man shot a hen Sat. morning. I was going to go this morning, but Mr. Stomach Virus decided I wouldn't.:irked:

So, I plan on going Friday, assuming I'm still alive.:D

  • Author
The old man shot a hen Sat. morning. I was going to go this morning, but Mr. Stomach Virus decided I wouldn't.:irked:

So, I plan on going Friday, assuming I'm still alive.:D

 

Congrats to Pops!!! He is becoming the Master at slaying o'l three toes". He must have had a great teacher.:lol:

 

Get well soon Doc. Gun season is right around the corner.

Congrats to Pops!!! He is becoming the Master at slaying o'l three toes". He must have had a great teacher.:lol:

 

Get well soon Doc. Gun season is right around the corner.

Indeed he did!:thumb:

The old man shot a hen Sat. morning. I was going to go this morning, but Mr. Stomach Virus decided I wouldn't.:irked:

So, I plan on going Friday, assuming I'm still alive.:D

 

Tell papa spindoc I said congrats doc :thumb:. I bet you guys will be having fried turkey pretty soon. Also, good luck to you when you get to go, and with the virus (that's a different kind of getting to go:eek:).

Sorry, fall and turkey's thought this was a Bengals thread.

 

I sit on my back deck and watch 16 of them walk 50 feet from me almost daily. We fed the cows right off my backyard and they love to come up to the buffet once the cows have moved on.

Very successful indeed.

 

:thumb: Anytime that you can get outdoors is a sucsessful hunt. Getting a turkey, deer or whatever is just a bonus. Being with friends, family and sharing t outdoors is what is special.

Also kudos to you for helping the disabled. I am disabled myself and know how difficult it is to get out and how appreciative I am for friends that help me.

Country Boy, I must say that your avatar is one of my very favorites on here.

Sorry, fall and turkey's thought this was a Bengals thread.I sit on my back deck and watch 16 of them walk 50 feet from me almost daily. We fed the cows right off my backyard and they love to come up to the buffet once the cows have moved on.

 

:lol::lol: or an Obama thread.

:thumb: Anytime that you can get outdoors is a sucsessful hunt. Getting a turkey, deer or whatever is just a bonus. Being with friends, family and sharing t outdoors is what is special.

Also kudos to you for helping the disabled. I am disabled myself and know how difficult it is to get out and how appreciative I am for friends that help me.

Country Boy, I must say that your avatar is one of my very favorites on here.

 

I really enjoyed my time in the woods with them and will do it again gladly. I think if anyone has a desire to do something, they should try to get it done. My friend's father felt good enough to go hunting Sunday, and I was fortunate to pull it off with the help of some good friends that owned the farm we hunted.

 

OldRambler, keep on trying to get out there and enjoy the outdoors, and in the words of the immortal Jim Valvano , "Never give up. Don't you ever give up."

 

As for the avatar, it just fits a name like BigCountryBoy and it struck me kind of funny.

I really enjoyed my time in the woods with them and will do it again gladly. I think if anyone has a desire to do something, they should try to get it done. My friend's father felt good enough to go hunting Sunday, and I was fortunate to pull it off with the help of some good friends that owned the farm we hunted.

 

OldRambler, keep on trying to get out there and enjoy the outdoors, and in the words of the immortal Jim Valvano , "Never give up. Don't you ever give up."

 

As for the avatar, it just fits a name like BigCountryBoy and it struck me kind of funny.

 

Thank you for the kind words and that's what I will do, is ironic that you mentioned the Valvano quote. That is one of my favorite quotes of all time. I say that to myself many times. Like I said, I have couple of very good friends that I have hunted and fished with for years and years. One of them being bgp's cvillecat, we have been hunting and fishing together and with since our youth and another one has been a friend and fishing/hunting partner for well over 30 years;). These guys know my limitations and are more than willing to help, they go above and beyond the call.

Trust me, when the few times come that I can go out now I will promise you that although the point is to take game to bring back for the table that is only a bonus.

Getting out in Gods great outdoors whether in be on the lake, river or in the woods with lifelong is what the blessing is for me.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.