Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Referee Question: Downed Punt

Featured Replies

If the punting team kicks the ball and they down it as time expires.

Question, does the receiving team get to run an un-timed down?

 

I think I remember seeing this described on the NFL Network and that is legal in the NFL. They were talking to Dan Reeves and, if remember it correctly, showed his team lining up and kicking a field-goal to end the half because the kicking team downed the punt.

 

Just wondering if that is the rule in NFL and does it apply to high school and then college?

Time has expired, that was the offenses play. That's how I see it, let's see what the Ref says.

Time has expired, that was the offenses play. That's how I see it, let's see what the Ref says.

 

 

Well yea but then couldn't the punting team just allow the ball to sit there until time runs out, or is there only a certain amount of time that the ball can just sit there?

Well yea but then couldn't the punting team just allow the ball to sit there until time runs out, or is there only a certain amount of time that the ball can just sit there?

 

Great question, but I have heard the whistle before when a ball comes to a stop, which would indicate that once the play is considered over, then the play is whistled dead. Just like when a ball carrier is stood up and forward motion has been stopped, but the carrier is not down. Again, just guessing here but IMO I think that ball is dead and the play is over, thus the whistle. Again, once the ball is punted, the receiving team is now considered on offense, thus that is their play.

Great question, but I have heard the whistle before when a ball comes to a stop, which would indicate that once the play is considered over, then the play is whistled dead. Just like when a ball carrier is stood up and forward motion has been stopped, but the carrier is not down. Again, just guessing here but IMO I think that ball is dead and the play is over, thus the whistle. Again, once the ball is punted, the receiving team is now considered on offense, thus that is their play.

 

Yea that sounds right and I don't see why they would be awarded another play.

The way I remember this situation is that if the receiving team fair catches the ball they get one untimed down in which they must attempt a field goal.

If the punting team kicks the ball and they down it as time expires.

Question, does the receiving team get to run an un-timed down?

 

I think I remember seeing this described on the NFL Network and that is legal in the NFL. They were talking to Dan Reeves and, if remember it correctly, showed his team lining up and kicking a field-goal to end the half because the kicking team downed the punt.

 

Just wondering if that is the rule in NFL and does it apply to high school and then college?

 

An accepted penalty of some sort must have occurred during the down in order to extend the period. Maybe they were describing an "awarded fair catch", which is a penalty option for kick catching interference?

 

Anyway, here's the high school rule about extending a period (the college rule is exactly the same):

 

NFHS Rule 3-3-3...A period must be extended by an untimed down if during the last timed down of that period, one of the following occurred:

 

a. There was a foul by either team and the penalty is accepted (with some exceptions).

b. There was a double foul.

c. There was an inadvertent whistle.

Edited by offside

  • Author
The way I remember this situation is that if the receiving team fair catches the ball they get one untimed down in which they must attempt a field goal.

 

 

Maybe that is what it was?

Again, once the ball is punted, the receiving team is now considered on offense, thus that is their play.

 

Technically, that isn't correct. The receiving team isn't on offense until they have legal possession of the ball. That is why a muffed punt is not a fumble/turnover, for statistical purposes. (but try to convince a coach it isn't a turnover!) :D

The way I remember this situation is that if the receiving team fair catches the ball they get one untimed down in which they must attempt a field goal.

 

You are correct. I guess I need to bone up on my NFL rules:

 

"If time expires while the ball is in play and a fair catch is awarded, the receiving team may choose to extend the period with one fair catch kick down. However, the placekicker may not use a tee."

 

I found it under Fair Catch in the NFL Rules Digest, here's a link:

 

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/digestofrules

 

In high school football, there's an interesting twist:

 

NFHS Rule 8-4-1a...A field goal attempt shall be...from a free kick following a fair catch or awarded fair catch.

 

That's right, it's a 3 point scoring attempt from a kickoff formation. But there is no provision to extend the period for this unless it's an awarded fair catch penalty from a kick catching interference foul which occurred on the last timed down.

 

NCAA rules do not allow for a 3 point free kick attempt after a fair catch, nor do they allow for an extension of the period after a fair catch.

 

NFHS Rule 8-4-1a...A field goal attempt shall be...from a free kick following a fair catch or awarded fair catch.

 

That's right, it's a 3 point scoring attempt from a kickoff formation. But there is no provision to extend the period for this unless it's an awarded fair catch penalty from a kick catching interference foul which occurred on the last timed down.

 

NCAA rules do not allow for a 3 point free kick attempt after a fair catch, nor do they allow for an extension of the period after a fair catch.

 

This is not exactly related to this situation but I also believe this is true if I read the rule and scenario correctly today:

 

Team R fair catches a punt. They elect to run a "football" play from scrimmage. During the course of the play Team K is called for a 15 yard pass interference penalty. Team R now elects to use their option to free kick. They are now allowed the option to attempt a free kick for three points.

 

I don't know the exact rule off the top of my head but I did read it just this afternoon.

This is not exactly related to this situation but I also believe this is true if I read the rule and scenario correctly today:

 

Team R fair catches a punt. They elect to run a "football" play from scrimmage. During the course of the play Team K is called for a 15 yard pass interference penalty. Team R now elects to use their option to free kick. They are now allowed the option to attempt a free kick for three points.

 

I don't know the exact rule off the top of my head but I did read it just this afternoon.

 

That is correct:

 

Rule 6-5-4...The captain may choose to free kick or snap anywhere between the inbounds lines on the yard line through the spot of the catch when a fair catch is made, or through the spot of interference, when a fair catch is awarded. These choices remain if a dead-ball foul occurs prior to the down, or a foul or an inadvertent whistle occurs during the down and the down is replayed.

 

I've never seen a free kick after a fair catch. I'm guessing that coaches either forget about it, or don't even know it exists as an option.

Ok I am checking to see if I understand this.

 

Team A punts the ball

Team B calls for a fair catch and time has expired. Team B is in a KO then allowed to kick a FG formation from where the ball was caught.

 

Is that correct?

 

I want to say during the late 80s/ early 90 I saw the 49ers (yes I understand the rule is/may be different for the NFL) do this against the Vikings or Giants in a playoff game. I remember them talking about it being a rule very few people either know about or take advantage of. If my question is correct it adds a new something, though rare, that could be very interesting.

I'm pretty sure that I have seen this done in the NFL sometime since 2000 but I can't remember who did it. It might have been shown when Doug Flutie did a dropkick as things that you don't see very often.

Ok I am checking to see if I understand this.

 

Team A punts the ball

Team B calls for a fair catch and time has expired. Team B is in a KO then allowed to kick a FG formation from where the ball was caught.

 

Is that correct?

 

I want to say during the late 80s/ early 90 I saw the 49ers (yes I understand the rule is/may be different for the NFL) do this against the Vikings or Giants in a playoff game. I remember them talking about it being a rule very few people either know about or take advantage of. If my question is correct it adds a new something, though rare, that could be very interesting.

 

Notice the NFL rule says that a kicking tee is not allowed during a "fair catch kick" attempt. It does appear that it is attempted from a free kick (kickoff formation).

 

Check out this link:

http://quirkyresearch.blogspot.com/2006/07/nfl-fair-catch-kick-attempts.html

 

(I rarely watch NFL games since we don't have a professional football team in Cincinnati.)

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.