Ashland 35 Boyd County 0

LRCW

The stats in the morning paper say a lot about this game.

First downs: Boyd-5, Ashland-17

Rushes/yards: Boyd-34/91, Ashland 33/310

Yds passing: Boyd-0, Ashland-35

Passing: Boyd Co. 0-8-2 Ashland 2-5-0

Ashland averaged 9.4 yards per carry. Carter had 15 carries for 145 yards, Alber 14 for 110 and DeMartino 5 for 50. Carter and Alber each had more yards than Boyd Co. had as a team.

Boyd Co. sensation Wilson was shut down. He had 11 caries for 30 yards.

This story is about Ashland's defense number one and Ashland's blue colar workman like offense.

Our big guys on the line do a great job on both sides of the ball.

Your quote about the lines is absolutely correct. This game was won and dominated in the trenches. I would hope Evans and his offensive and defensive line coaches will show the Ashland linemen on film as a study session. Ashland exploded on the snap, Boyd's linemen stand straight up and get blown off the ball. Great win for the Tomcats, I think they'll upset Woodford next week and finish second in that district which is impressive.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your quote about the lines is absolutely correct. This game was won and dominated in the trenches. I would hope Evans and his offensive and defensive line coaches will show the Ashland linemen on film as a study session. Ashland exploded on the snap, Boyd's linemen stand straight up and get blown off the ball. Great win for the Tomcats, I think they'll upset Woodford next week and finish second in that district which is impressive.[/

The experiment with backfield doesnt seem it will work, not enough skill by QB. The lineman need to block but the backs need to get with the speed of game and that will come. I predicted 42-14 Ashlands defense is good, but boyd should have scored at least once. Way to go Ashland!!!:ylsuper:

Your quote about the lines is absolutely correct. This game was won and dominated in the trenches. I would hope Evans and his offensive and defensive line coaches will show the Ashland linemen on film as a study session. Ashland exploded on the snap, Boyd's linemen stand straight up and get blown off the ball. Great win for the Tomcats, I think they'll upset Woodford next week and finish second in that district which is impressive.[/

The experiment with backfield doesnt seem it will work, not enough skill by QB. The lineman need to block but the backs need to get with the speed of game and that will come. I predicted 42-14 Ashlands defense is good, but boyd should have scored at least once. Way to go Ashland!!!:ylsuper:

As I posted on another Boyd County thread, it doesn't matter who you have back there if they're not given time to throw. :confused:

What is the Cats record vs BC over the last 20 years?

I do not have any facts, but my mind says its something like 17-3 or 18-2, can anyone confirm this or give me the actual records of these two teams over the last 20 or 25 years?

I believe that Ashland has destroyed the County over this time period.

The overall composite record for these two programs now stands in favor of the Tomcats at 29 - 16 - 0. You are correct Dawg that Ashland has left BC in the dust over the past two decades but I don’t have accurate numbers to validate that observation.

At one point in time (back in the day) this was THE game on the schedule. It was typically the last game of the season with a district championship at stake. At that point in time, the series was relatively even.

One thing in favor of the Lions, however, and I might say this is a very worthy cause. BC typically wins the “canned food drive” which is announced and awarded when these two teams meet. On that note, BC won something last Friday night:

Canned Food Drive: BC 4 – Ashland 2

Football: BC 0 – Ashland 35

Help me out a little bit here Painter. Please tell me that there were more than 6 cans of food donated. :confused:

Yes, there were many more than 6 cans donated. The quantity I posted referred to the various levels of school participation in this annual event, i.e. grade schools, middle schools and high school. BC won by a handsome margin at the upper school levels.

Sorry for the lack of clarity there LRCW.

Yes, there were many more than 6 cans donated. The quantity I posted referred to the various levels of school participation in this annual event, i.e. grade schools, middle schools and high school. BC won by a handsome margin at the upper school levels.

Thanks Painter. So is it broke down to a grade school, middle school, and then classes 9-12? Do you know what levels Ashland won?

Help me out a little bit here Painter. Please tell me that there were more than 6 cans of food donated. :confused:

It was measured in thousands of pounds. I can't remember the tally.

Thanks Painter. So is it broke down to a grade school, middle school, and then classes 9-12? Do you know what levels Ashland won?

This food drive is part of an effort with River Cities Harvest and has become an annual competition between Ashland and Boyd Co with the winner(s) being identified during the football game.

Actual winners in 3 classifications were:

Elementary school - Oakview (Ashland) collecting 3,888 units (composed of both cans and pounds of food)

Middle School – Summit (Boyd)

High School – Boyd (I believe this was over 11,000 units.)

So…I need to revise my original post to Boyd beating Ashland by a score of 2 – 1.

This food drive is part of an effort with River Cities Harvest and has become an annual competition between Ashland and Boyd Co with the winner(s) being identified during the football game.

Actual winners in 3 classifications were:

Elementary school - Oakview (Ashland) collecting 3,888 units (composed of both cans and pounds of food)

Middle School – Summit (Boyd)

High School – Boyd (I believe this was over 11,000 units.)

So…I need to revise my original post to Boyd beating Ashland by a score of 2 – 1.

I think it's awesome that you guys in the Ashland area do this each year. Bravo to you! :thumb:

Thanks Razor, that sounds about right.

I was thinking that Ashland has only lost maybe two or three times in the last decade to Boyd county. That sounds about right because I think Ashland won 12 or 13 years in a row, because when Boyd finally won didn't they tear down the goal post because that graduating class had never beaten Ashland while they were attending school that is why it was so significant if I remember correctly.

...I was thinking that Ashland has only lost maybe two or three times in the last decade to Boyd county....when Boyd finally won didn't they tear down the goal post because that graduating class had never beaten Ashland while they were attending school that is why it was so significant if I remember correctly.

The year was 2003, Halloween night to be exact, when Boyd Co upset Ashland 34 – 14 in the regular season finale played at Boyd. I remember how surprised I was seeing the BC students climb the goal posts. No one saw that one coming but it’s worth noting that BC Coach Dane Damron was heard saying after that game, he would see us (Ashland) in two weeks at Putnam Stadium. That following week, Boyd went into the unfriendly territory of Log Mountain…home of the powerful Bell Co Bobcats…for an opening round playoff game. Bell had only tasted defeat once that season and had been blasting nearly every opponent by double digit margins...but the Lions won 31 – 20. That was an upset of large proportions.

When the Bell / Boyd score was announced at Ashland’s first round game, the crowd erupted knowing that the Tomcats would a shot at redemption against the Lions. That second round contest was one of the more exciting games I remember between these two schools. Ashland won that game 24 – 15.