Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sad State of Affairs

Featured Replies

I go to alot of different sporting events and have seen alot of stupid things over the the years. I have seen alot of players do unsportsmanlike things and the majority of time the referee or coach handles the problem. But when its the coach that does it in the manner that I witnessed last night something needs to be done.

 

Me and my family were at a 7th grade middle school basketball game and the coach from the home team did not agree with a call on the court. At the same time he was arguing with the referee he picked up the basketball and held it for a few seconds. The teams were at the opposite end of the floor to his bench. He then looking right at one of the opposite team players standing in front of her bench he threw let me say that again threw not tossed the basketball at this player. It passed a few inches from her head and then still had enough velocity to hit the opposite wall and bounce back.

 

Ok you can pick your chins of the floor. This type of stuff can not happen your going to have the referees and coaches arguing the coaches arguing but leave the young ladies out of it. He received a technical but he should have been removed. Like I said a sad state of affairs. I have my own thoughts on what I witnessed last night but I'll keep my mouth shut. :devil:

Edited by STRIKE3
comply w/Rule #13

  • Replies 45
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

II go to alot of different sporting events and have seen alot of stupid things over the the years. I have seen alot of players do unsportsmanlike things and the majority of time the referee or coach handles the problem. But when its the coach that does it in the manner that I witnessed last night something needs to be done.

 

Me and my family were at a 7th grade middle school basketball game and the coach from the home team did not agree with a call on the court. At the same time he was arguing with the referee he picked up the basketball and held it for a few seconds. The teams were at the opposite end of the floor to his bench. He then looking right at one of the opposite team players standing in front of her bench he threw let me say that again threw not tossed the basketball at this player. It passed a few inches from her head and then still had enough velocity to hit the opposite wall and bounce back.

 

Ok you can pick your chins of the floor. This type of stuff can not happen your going to have the referees and coaches arguing the coaches arguing but leave the young ladies out of it. He received a technical but he should have been removed. Like I said a sad state of affairs. I have my own thoughts on what I witnessed last night but I'll keep my mouth shut. devil.gif

 

 

I'm stunned that he was not ejected.

 

I'll be more stunned if the school he represents allows him to continue coaching.

 

I guess I'm also stunned that no one came out of the stands after the coach threw the ball.

 

If I had been the other coach or I had been the parent of the girl who almost got hit I can't say I would have handled myself in a controlled manner. My guess is that me and the coach would have visited knuckle junction.

Edited by STRIKE3
edited quote

Where was this game at?? I did'nt think basketball season started yet.

  • Author
I'm stunned that he was not ejected.

 

I'll be more stunned if the school he represents allows him to continue coaching.

 

I guess I'm also stunned that no one came out of the stands after the coach threw the ball.

 

If I had been the other coach or I had been the parent of the girl who almost got hit I can't say I would have handled myself in a controlled manner. My guess is that me and the coach would have visited knuckle junction.

 

I dont see him being removed. And there was three of us up heading to the bench but we thought better of it. The mother did give him a mouth full.

  • Author
Where was this game at?? I did'nt think basketball season started yet.

 

This is girls middle school basketball in Eastern Ky (ovc). Id rather not say were this was i dont want to condemn the whole team or school. But i did forget to say this the, coach is the the varsity coach to.

This is girls middle school basketball in Eastern Ky (ovc). Id rather not say were this was i dont want to condemn the whole team or school. But i did forget to say this the, coach is the the varsity coach to.

 

I would suggest an email / phone call campaign into the high school principal. If its as bad as described the man/woman running the school has to know about it and know that its 100% unacceptable.

I go to alot of different sporting events and have seen alot of stupid things over the the years. I have seen alot of players do unsports'man like things and the majority of time the referee or coach handles the problem. But when its the coach that does it in the manner that i witnessed last night something needs to be done. Me and my family were at a 7th grade middle school basketball game and the coach from the home team did not agree with a call on the court. At the same time he was arguing with the referee he picked up the basketball and held it for a few seconds. The teams were at the opposite end of the floor to his bench. He then looking right at one of the opposite team players standing in front of her bench he threw let me say that agin threw not tossed the basketball at this player. It passed a few inchs from her head and then still had enough velosity to hit the opposite wall and bounce back. Ok you can pick your chins of the floor. This type of stuff can not happen your going to have the referees and coachs arguing the coachs arguing but leave the young ladys out of it. He received a technical but he should have been removed. Like i said a sad state of affiars. I have my own thoughts on what i witnessed last night but ill keep my mouth shut :devil:

 

I was at this game and will say without a doubt the ball was not thrown at a player. There wasn't a player within 10 feet of the ball. Do I agree with what was done no way. Should he have been thrown out of the game no. The refs made the right call and got things back in order. Trust me no player at anytime was in danger.

I was at this game and will say without a doubt the ball was not thrown at a player. There wasn't a player within 10 feet of the ball. Do I agree with what was done no way. Should he have been thrown out of the game no. The refs made the right call and got things back in order. Trust me no player at anytime was in danger.

 

WOW, how can we have two extremes to the story!!!!!!!!

Where was this game at?? I did'nt think basketball season started yet.

 

Girls middle school b'ball in many areas are played late summer, early fall to allow more gym time. If this was the home coach and it is a midde school game he more than likely had this offical at the game in the first place. Sounds like he lost his cool big time. Bobby Knight didn't take a new job did he????

  • Author
I was at this game and will say without a doubt the ball was not thrown at a player. There wasn't a player within 10 feet of the ball. Do I agree with what was done no way. Should he have been thrown out of the game no. The refs made the right call and got things back in order. Trust me no player at anytime was in danger.

 

I'm not going to set here and argue with you. But you didn't see what I saw, I guess. You didn't see the young lady standing in front of the vistors bench. I do think he should have been tossed.

Edited by STRIKE3
comply w/Rule #13

I guess it just depends on which side you want to believe. For the ball to thrown against a wall in the gym this happened in it had to be thrown very hard. The coach might want to be a baseball coach with a arm like he could throw bp.

I guess it just depends on which side you want to believe. For the ball to thrown against a wall in the gym this happened in it had to be thrown very hard. The coach might want to be a baseball coach with a arm like he could throw bp.

 

 

It was thrown harder than it should have been. But it was from the scorers table and it took one bounce before it hit the wall.

  • Author
It was thrown harder than it should have been. But it was from the scorers table and it took one bounce before it hit the wall.

 

What it all come's down to it should have never been thrown.

What it all come's down to it should have never been thrown.

 

 

I agree.

I was at this game and will say without a doubt the ball was not thrown at a player. There wasn't a player within 10 feet of the ball. Do I agree with what was done no way. Should he have been thrown out of the game no. The refs made the right call and got things back in order. Trust me no player at anytime was in danger.

 

Are you serious? We wonder why people behave the way they do? If this is an acceptable form of behavior from an adult coach ANY level of basketball over a call in a game then as the title states........sad state of affairs!

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.