Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Astros are not letting go of this beef with Bud Selig

Featured Replies

I dare you to find anywhere where I have blamed a goat or Bartman

 

I'll go ahead and pick "truth", as I have better things to do with my time.

  • Replies 34
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll go ahead and pick "truth", as I have better things to do with my time.

 

Better get to em then :thumb:

Aren't these the same Cubs fans who have been whining about Steve Bartman for a few years now? The same Cubs fans who don't blame Gonzalez for missing a ground ball the next pitch, nor Moises Alou for being more aggressive in going after the ball. These are the same Cubs fans who blamed a goat and a fan for their losing.

 

Oh the irony!

First of all, what does this have to do with the Astros-Cubs-Ike scenario?

 

Any Cubs' fan that blames the loss on Bartman isn't looking at things objectively. Actually, I don't know any that do.

 

Gonzalez booted a routine double-play ball and Kerry Wood got rocked the next night. That, as much as anything else, is why they lost the series.

First of all, what does this have to do with the Astros-Cubs-Ike scenario?

 

Any Cubs' fan that blames the loss on Bartman isn't looking at things objectively. Actually, I don't know any that do.

 

Gonzalez booted a routine double-play ball and Kerry Wood got rocked the next night. That, as much as anything else, is why they lost the series.

 

It is an analogy. I find it ironic that so many Cubs fans blamed external factors on their loss, and have done so for many years (approximately 100).

 

But, when something similar happens to another team, they are quick to dismiss it.

 

I've already stated where I stand on this situation in another thread. While I do not think the venue affected the game much, if at all, I think it was a horrendous choice by Bud Selig, for a multitude of reasons.

 

First, this was intended to be a home game for the Houston Astros. There were a few other venues available, most notably in Arlington, TX & Phoenix, AZ. The commissioner stated that he did not want to send the Astros to the west coast because they were traveling next to Miami; however, that happens fairly often throughout the regular season.

 

Secondly, Selig has a vested interest in Milwaukee. Not only are the Brewers in the playoff race, but they're also going to make additional money off of holding two additional games there.

 

Once again, very poor judgment by Bud Selig & major league baseball. But then again, it's what we've come to expect from the man who runs the show.

I'd like an explanation why they didn't use Texas or Atlanta. The players union lobbied for Atlanta and were told by MLB it wouldn't be there. The Rangers were ready to prepare the Ballpark and were told by MLB it wouldn't be there.

 

I still think the Astros don't get no-hit and may have won either game had McClane allowed them to leave town Thursday and take their families with them. 10 of the families went to Milwaukee.

 

And I think Berkman's comments are spot on. The game with lightning earlier this year was ridiculous to try and play through.

I find it comical that Cubs fans are telling the Astros to get over it. They're saying that it's not the reason that Zambrano threw a no-hitter, nor is it the reason Lilly 1-hit them.

 

I agree.

 

Aren't these the same Cubs fans who have been whining about Steve Bartman for a few years now? The same Cubs fans who don't blame Gonzalez for missing a ground ball the next pitch, nor Moises Alou for being more aggressive in going after the ball. These are the same Cubs fans who blamed a goat and a fan for their losing.

 

Oh the irony!

I don't blame Bartman. I blame Gonzalez for booting the ball and even Dusty Baker for not going out to calm down a visibly upset Mark Prior. And the Cubs still had another day to win and didn't.

 

I've never blamed a goat or a black cat. In fact, it's mostly non-Cubs who keep bringing the curses up. Most Cubs fans I know would like to keep from being reminded of it. The same way non Red Sox fans kept regurgitating Bill Buckner and Bucky Dent.

 

The same way non-Bengals fans blame the Steelers lineman for rolling Carson Palmer early in the game or blame Chad for throwing a punch at Marvin at halftime. Who brings that up more? Bengals fans or non-Bengals fans.

 

Use the search engine in here and enter goat. You tell me who keeps bringing up the goat. Cubs fans or non-Cubs fans.

I don't blame Bartman. I blame Gonzalez for booting the ball and even Dusty Baker for not going out to calm down a visibly upset Mark Prior. And the Cubs still had another day to win and didn't.

 

I've never blamed a goat or a black cat. In fact, it's mostly non-Cubs who keep bringing the curses up. Most Cubs fans I know would like to keep from being reminded of it. The same way non Red Sox fans kept regurgitating Bill Buckner and Bucky Dent.

 

The same way non-Bengals fans blame the Steelers lineman for rolling Carson Palmer early in the game or blame Chad for throwing a punch at Marvin at halftime. Who brings that up more? Bengals fans or non-Bengals fans.

 

Use the search engine in here and enter goat. You tell me who keeps bringing up the goat. Cubs fans or non-Cubs fans.

 

:thumb:

I can't believe they would do this, they had all season to correct and get the lead and now the Cubs who could lose the rest of their games are in the playoffs. Having the majority of your fans in a stadium doesn't make you win. Heck, Cub fans travel or at least are in every city in America and whether the game would've been in Atlanta or Wisconsin the Cubs probably would've had the larger fan base.

I believe the Rangers were out of town that Sunday, before returning home for a night game against Detroit. What, two day games at a stadium 250 miles away wasn't a possibility? Or heck, do a doubleheader on an open night later on. But, this stinks. And I'm not even an Astros fan!

 

Just another reason why ol' Bud doesn't belong in that seat, IMO.

 

MLBPA voted against a double header

I can't believe they would do this, they had all season to correct and get the lead and now the Cubs who could lose the rest of their games are in the playoffs. Having the majority of your fans in a stadium doesn't make you win. Heck, Cub fans travel or at least are in every city in America and whether the game would've been in Atlanta or Wisconsin the Cubs probably would've had the larger fan base.

 

 

That very well may be true; however, that does not justify making the "home" team travel over 1,000 miles and the Cubs less than 100.

 

With that said, that's not my biggest problem with the decision to play in Milwaukee.

 

Use the search engine in here and enter goat. You tell me who keeps bringing up the goat. Cubs fans or non-Cubs fans.

 

Let's remember, there is life outside of BGP.

 

Nonetheless, there is a thread here, where Cubs' fan threetimelover says that she no longer would like to "get her hands on Bartman", but knows plenty of people who would.

 

http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?t=149411&highlight=bartman

 

Here is the quote, from April '08:

Believe me, there's a whole group of people who would love to get their hands on Bartman even now. I'm no longer included in that group.:D

 

Seems to me that, as a Cubs fan, she'd at least have a decent grasp of what is going on.

I'd like an explanation why they didn't use Texas or Atlanta. The players union lobbied for Atlanta and were told by MLB it wouldn't be there. The Rangers were ready to prepare the Ballpark and were told by MLB it wouldn't be there.

:thumb:

 

And I think Berkman's comments are spot on. The game with lightning earlier this year was ridiculous to try and play through.

 

Once again, :thumb:

MLBPA voted against a double header

 

The MLBPA should have had no say so in the decision.

 

Bud Selig should have asked the Astro's what they wanted to do or give them a list of options.

 

He handled this situation very poorly and he needs to own up to it.

 

 

But the Astro's need to get over it and play ball, that one game did not kill their season.

It seems to me that the Astros have given up on the playoffs & are using this as a scapegoat. While that's not entirely accurate, I hope it runs Bud Selig out of office.

 

Roy Oswalt is going to pitch against the Reds on 3 days rest...

Let's remember, there is life outside of BGP.

 

Nonetheless, there is a thread here, where Cubs' fan threetimelover says that she no longer would like to "get her hands on Bartman", but knows plenty of people who would.

Most of us Cubs fans on here don't gripe about Bartman. To listen to the Reds fans, we gripe about Dusty much more. ;)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.