Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dixie - Bye week

Featured Replies

In a previous post (last week's game prediction) it was brought up that Tom S. will never have the team he could have/should have until he starts doing what the other teams in the area are doing such as: 2 a day practices, spring ball & practicing when the power is out.

 

Does anyone else feel the same way? Four games into the season & the Colonels are still cramping up and getting winded by the half!

 

Also there's a post out there for the team w/ the lowest number of seniors. The way players are quitting the Dixie team our numbers have to be close to the lowest. On week one the team filled the sideline...week four looked as though they had lost 1/3 of the original team.

 

Lastly, there are comments all over the place out there about the defensive line not being able to stop the other team's offense, no matter who the team. There are a lot of "big boys" standing on the sideline who haven't seen a single play this year. If the starters aren't getting the job done then put them on the sideline and let someone else try. At this point what could it hurt???

Dixie did practice when the power was out last week.

 

This year's Senior class has low numbers, but they also had lower numbers as Juniors. Dixie has lost about 10% of the roster from when the season started, definitely not 33%.

 

Hopefully the team will do much better in the second half of the season this year.

 

Two a days when the season starts would be a good thing for a few weeks. As late as the season starts with pads though, they only had a short time until school started this year. Would help them play more like a team spending more time together, even if they viewed film for the second practice and went over plays.

 

Spring ball would have been difficult when so many starters play other sports in the spring - unless more kids just focus on football.

I made the post you are referring to last week. I was told they did not practice due to the power outage. I do not know from personal knowledge but posted something based on what I was told so if it is incorrect I apologize but I have very little reason to doubt my source. Having double sessions in the summer is just something every football team good, bad or ugly does except for Dixie. It is probably the reason for the cramping and the slow starts Dixie has pretty often. The kids playing other sports is not an excuse for not having spring football. Every school has many players that participate in other sports and still have spring football. The situation at Dixie should be fairly condusive to winning. Open enrollment for Kenton county and probably the nicest facilities in Northern Kentucky should produce a power house, IMO. Why it doesn't is up to the DHS administration to decide but everyone seems happy with the status quo.

I made the post you are referring to last week. I was told they did not practice due to the power outage. I do not know from personal knowledge but posted something based on what I was told so if it is incorrect I apologize but I have very little reason to doubt my source. Having double sessions in the summer is just something every football team good, bad or ugly does except for Dixie. It is probably the reason for the cramping and the slow starts Dixie has pretty often. The kids playing other sports is not an excuse for not having spring football. Every school has many players that participate in other sports and still have spring football. The situation at Dixie should be fairly condusive to winning. Open enrollment for Kenton county and probably the nicest facilities in Northern Kentucky should produce a power house, IMO. Why it doesn't is up to the DHS administration to decide but everyone seems happy with the status quo.

 

This is what blows me away about Dixie..They definately have the athletes to be very good every year.. It is all about what you want to work for in my opinion..It is obvious to me that the administration doesn't give a hoot...Pretty sad...:cry::cry:

  • Author

I don't think everyone is happy with the status quo. But, it's difficult to do anything when the head football coach is also the Athletic Director. Not like he's going to make comments to himself or fire himself!! What can be done???

There's a trend forming at Dixie, that I don't really hear about at others, and that is players quitting. Every year, Dixie seems to lose a considerable amount of players during the season. I have no clue why, but something is causing it. They have lost a lot of talent by players quitting, or not even coming out for the team anymore.

 

As for two-a-days and spring practice, there's no excuse for not having them. I understand maybe trying it for a year or two, but it's shown that it doesn't work. There's no reason that you're still looking for the right combination of players in the 4th game of the season. I understand having all new starters, but you have an entire offseason, two scrimmages, and at most, two regular season games to get this straightened out. As for the team's conditioning heading into the season, I would have to say that this team is in much better shape than years' past.

 

Finally, in order to get this program over the hump, I think they need to overhaul the coaching staff from top to bottom. First, there's no reason for a history teacher to run out former NFL players. Secondly, Spritzky is a great, great guy, and he has done a tremendous job turning the program around at Dixie. However, I think he's taken them as far as he can. There's too much talent in the school to not compete every year for a district title. Add to that, the new facilities and open districts should help pull a lot of the athletes in from Kenton County.

 

Obviously, the above cannot be done in the bye week. This week, they need to get back to the basics. They've done a poor job of tackling so far. The kids need to wrap up. The o-line needs to work on sustaining blocks. They're 0-4 right now, but the season isn't lost yet. They've got a ton of juniors and sophomores getting some valuable experience. I win over Holmes or Scott will get them in the playoffs.

There's a trend forming at Dixie, that I don't really hear about at others, and that is players quitting. Every year, Dixie seems to lose a considerable amount of players during the season. I have no clue why, but something is causing it. They have lost a lot of talent by players quitting, or not even coming out for the team anymore.

 

As for two-a-days and spring practice, there's no excuse for not having them. I understand maybe trying it for a year or two, but it's shown that it doesn't work. There's no reason that you're still looking for the right combination of players in the 4th game of the season. I understand having all new starters, but you have an entire offseason, two scrimmages, and at most, two regular season games to get this straightened out. As for the team's conditioning heading into the season, I would have to say that this team is in much better shape than years' past.

 

Finally, in order to get this program over the hump, I think they need to overhaul the coaching staff from top to bottom. First, there's no reason for a history teacher to run out former NFL players. Secondly, Spritzky is a great, great guy, and he has done a tremendous job turning the program around at Dixie. However, I think he's taken them as far as he can. There's too much talent in the school to not compete every year for a district title. Add to that, the new facilities and open districts should help pull a lot of the athletes in from Kenton County.

 

Obviously, the above cannot be done in the bye week. This week, they need to get back to the basics. They've done a poor job of tackling so far. The kids need to wrap up. The o-line needs to work on sustaining blocks. They're 0-4 right now, but the season isn't lost yet. They've got a ton of juniors and sophomores getting some valuable experience. I win over Holmes or Scott will get them in the playoffs.

 

 

The above in bold couldn't of been said any better.

  • Author
The above in bold couldn't of been said any better.

 

I couldn't agree more!!! nees1212 and dixiezozo you've said it all!! Too much talent now and in the soon upcoming years to let Dixie continue on as they are.

The above in bold couldn't of been said any better.

 

I don't know about the history teacher, but as for the rest of the statement, I was thinking the same thing on Friday at the game. Dixie is not the only school around this area that might benefit from a change. Boone County also comes to mind.

I don't know about the history teacher, but as for the rest of the statement, I was thinking the same thing on Friday at the game. Dixie is not the only school around this area that might benefit from a change. Boone County also comes to mind.

 

The history teacher is the defensive coordinator. He's run off some quality people over the years.

There's a trend forming at Dixie, that I don't really hear about at others, and that is players quitting. Every year, Dixie seems to lose a considerable amount of players during the season. I have no clue why, but something is causing it. They have lost a lot of talent by players quitting, or not even coming out for the team anymore.

 

As for two-a-days and spring practice, there's no excuse for not having them. I understand maybe trying it for a year or two, but it's shown that it doesn't work. There's no reason that you're still looking for the right combination of players in the 4th game of the season. I understand having all new starters, but you have an entire offseason, two scrimmages, and at most, two regular season games to get this straightened out. As for the team's conditioning heading into the season, I would have to say that this team is in much better shape than years' past.

 

Finally, in order to get this program over the hump, I think they need to overhaul the coaching staff from top to bottom. First, there's no reason for a history teacher to run out former NFL players. Secondly, Spritzky is a great, great guy, and he has done a tremendous job turning the program around at Dixie. However, I think he's taken them as far as he can. There's too much talent in the school to not compete every year for a district title. Add to that, the new facilities and open districts should help pull a lot of the athletes in from Kenton County.

 

Obviously, the above cannot be done in the bye week. This week, they need to get back to the basics. They've done a poor job of tackling so far. The kids need to wrap up. The o-line needs to work on sustaining blocks. They're 0-4 right now, but the season isn't lost yet. They've got a ton of juniors and sophomores getting some valuable experience. I win over Holmes or Scott will get them in the playoffs.

 

Absolutely agree here. The number of guys quitting during the season these last few years is what bothers me the most. Granted, quite a few were, for lack of better phrasing, "bad apples", and some had troubles off the field which do not help either. I see Mark Pike sitting in the stands at EVERY Dixie football game and think of all the things he could be teaching those young men, yet to my knowledge he has not been asked to help. I know there is some history there but why not utilize the man's knowledge?

I'm no doctor but I don't think cramping is tied to a lack of two-a-days.

I'm no doctor but I don't think cramping is tied to a lack of two-a-days.

 

Right, it's a conditioning thing. You need to hydrate BEFORE, DURING and AFTER games. It must be consistant. Stay away from carbonated drinks. That's they way my son handled it and I don't ever remember him having a cramp on the field.

 

I'm sure there are other factors that go into this but proper hydration is very important.

I'm no doctor but I don't think cramping is tied to a lack of two-a-days.

 

Its a conditioning thing, 2 practices a day in the middle of summer do nothing to help you get in shape and handle the heat better. ;)

Its a conditioning thing, 2 practices a day in the middle of summer do nothing to help you get in shape and handle the heat better. ;)

 

Do cramps come from being out of shape or do they come from lack of hydration?

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.