Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Horse Collar Tackle

Featured Replies

I have seen two High school football games this year and two horse collar tackles. In both instances the player being tackled was bent backwards to the point that I was concerned that the player was injured. I have to wonder why KHSAA feels that it is safe at the High school level for this type of tackling. When it has been determined that it is unsafe in the NFL and also at the college level. I know we are all a little slower in Kentucky but when you see the NFL and the NCAA giving 15 yard penalties because it is unsafe you would think that KHSAA would follow the leader. Just my thoughts.

Probably has to go through NFHS, give it a year or two.

Plus this is the first year that the NCAA has adopted this and everything usually takes a little more time to move down to the HS level.

The KHSAA plays by National Federation Rules. So it is not just a KY thing, it is a national high school issue. With that said, I would look for horse collaring to be a penalty in high schools across the nation next year.

  • Author
The KHSAA plays by National Federation Rules. So it is not just a KY thing, it is a national high school issue. With that said, I would look for horse collaring to be a penalty in high schools across the nation next year.

 

I did not know that. So the rules are exactly the same in every state?

Except two, Texas and ...........

  • Author
Except two, Texas and ...........

 

Why not make it three, Texas, Kentucky and ........... Why wait implement it. KHSAA can send a memo out to all high schools and Refs and make it happen. Why wait till a youngster is hurt when we all know the rule will change. Do it now.

Why not make it three, Texas, Kentucky and ........... Why wait implement it. KHSAA can send a memo out to all high schools and Refs and make it happen. Why wait till a youngster is hurt when we all know the rule will change. Do it now.

I agree with you, but I would bet there is some kind of agreement between the state and NFHS that says the state has adopted their rules. I don't know that for sure, but I would bet there is.

 

I wish someone would tell me what the other state is that uses NCAA rules, it is driving me crazy.

I saw a horse collar tackle this last week in an 8th grade game, the kid jumped on the players back and rode him down, it looked pretty painful, not to mention potentially bad for that players back.

I agree with you, but I would bet there is some kind of agreement between the state and NFHS that says the state has adopted their rules. I don't know that for sure, but I would bet there is.

 

I wish someone would tell me what the other state is that uses NCAA rules, it is driving me crazy.

 

Massachusetts

I think I must be the only person in the US who doesn't like this rule. To me, it is starting to move towards where you have to think about how you will tackle somebody without getting a penalty. Already in the NFL they are beginning to implement rules that you can't strike a quarterback in the head, you can't tackle him below the knees, you can't tackle anybody by any part of their helmet, and now the horsecollar rule. It seems like the pads are beginning to hinder the game of football. I understand that everyone is worried about the safety of the players, but when are we going to say "enough is enough, lets just play ball". I played football for 10 years and never witnessed anybody hurting their back from a horse-collar tackle. It happened all of the time. Usually, if somebody tweaked their back on a tackle, it was because they were using incorrect form in the weight room and were using too much weight. I could just be ranting about a more general idea. But in my opinion, this rule is not necessary and almost never results in any injury.

:

I think I must be the only person in the US who doesn't like this rule. To me, it is starting to move towards where you have to think about how you will tackle somebody without getting a penalty. Already in the NFL they are beginning to implement rules that you can't strike a quarterback in the head, you can't tackle him below the knees, you can't tackle anybody by any part of their helmet, and now the horsecollar rule. It seems like the pads are beginning to hinder the game of football. I understand that everyone is worried about the safety of the players, but when are we going to say "enough is enough, lets just play ball". I played football for 10 years and never witnessed anybody hurting their back from a horse-collar tackle. It happened all of the time. Usually, if somebody tweaked their back on a tackle, it was because they were using incorrect form in the weight room and were using too much weight. I could just be ranting about a more general idea. But in my opinion, this rule is not necessary and almost never results in any injury.

I do agree.:thumb:

The problem with the horescollar tackle resulting in injuries(See Roy Williams: Dallas Cowboys) is not grabbing and pulling the back of the shoulder pads, but when the defender lands with all thier weight on the back of the ballcarriers legs.

Massachusetts

Thank you, it was killing me.

The problem with the horescollar tackle resulting in injuries(See Roy Williams: Dallas Cowboys) is not grabbing and pulling the back of the shoulder pads, but when the defender lands with all thier weight on the back of the ballcarriers legs.

 

I know you can wrap up the legs, but you take a chance of getting kicked in the face and hands, or missing all together. I'm not trying to be smart here, I'm just trying to make sense of the situation, how else would you tackle someone from behind? :confused:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.