Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Luke Maile has verbally committed to UK

Featured Replies

  • Author
TOG, although fast and very athletic I cannot see him playing any 2nd base at all. There are way too many good infielders out there for him to just hop in and start playing 2nd base. I believe it's either the outfield, improving his catching game to the next level, or DH, I'm sorry.

 

CCH24 sorry, but IMO when you can hit like he can, and have the speed he has, then they teach you to be a good second baseman. Far too good of a overall baseball player to sit the bench and just DH!

CCH24 sorry, but IMO when you can hit like he can, and have the speed he has, then they teach you to be a good second baseman. Far too good of a overall baseball player to sit the bench and just DH!
Corey may start off as a CF (no way he is corner OF) but agree with TOG that second may be in his future. All this being said, he will be doing something for the Wildcats sooner than later.
CCH24 sorry, but IMO when you can hit like he can, and have the speed he has, then they teach you to be a good second baseman. Far too good of a overall baseball player to sit the bench and just DH!

 

I'm not saying he's not a great hitter and he's slow by any means at all. He's one in a million with his talent but to go off and say he can jump right into an infield position with so many other great infielders around him is a little off the wall. And I never said he would ride the wood I just said if he cannot improve his catching game to the next level or play the OF I cannot see him playing anywhere else.

Good news. If he does play for the Cats, I'll make some trips down to Lexington.

 

 

 

As will I...Congrats to Luke, his family, and the Cats.

Congrats to the Maile family and especially Luke. I hope to see him in a Major league uniform one day.

I'm not saying he's not a great hitter and he's slow by any means at all. He's one in a million with his talent but to go off and say he can jump right into an infield position with so many other great infielders around him is a little off the wall. And I never said he would ride the wood I just said if he cannot improve his catching game to the next level or play the OF I cannot see him playing anywhere else.

 

It can be done, and it's been done before. A fairly recent player who made a complete position change in college, and went on to have a great collegiate career and is doing well in the minors is Jay Johnson.

 

 

Congrats to Luke!

1) Congrats to Luke and his family. For him to have the chance to play college ball is awesome and UK is a good program to join.

 

2) It is very possible for a player like Farris to switch to being a second baseman. All it would take is a little practice on his footwork and he will be fine. Corey is a natural baseball player and would easily be able to make the switch with the tools that he has. Many players have done it before and many will continue to do so. One example that pops in mind (other than JJ) is Billy Mottram, second baseman for the Freedom. He was a corner infield guy that never played up the middle and a few games into the season made the switch to 2nd. Yes he had to practice his footwork but I think he's doing alright now. Atleast good enough to be an all-star at his new position. :sssh:

  • Author

Maile to Kentucky

By Ryan Ernst of the Cincinnati Enquirer/NKy.com

 

Covington Catholic senior catcher and two-time Enquirer player of the year Luke Maile has committed to Kentucky, his father Rich said today. The right-handed hitting Maile chose the Wildcats over LSU, Vanderbilt and Louisville.

 

After setting a school RBI record in the cleanup spot as a sophomore, Maile became the Colonels' leadoff hitter as a junior. He scored 53 runs and drove in 37 more while hitting .567. He also led the Colonels to the Ninth Region title game.

 

Maile follows in the footsteps of fellow Enquirer all-start Cory Farris, a recent Boone County grad. Farris, a left-handed hitting catcher, will be a freshman at UK this year.

 

Here's what Maile (below) had to say this afternoon:

 

Q: Why UK?

A: I wanted to weigh all my options. I wanted to experience the whole process. We went to a bunch of schools in the South, the ones I’ve always been curious about. We didn’t want to make a decision and wonder what I might have missed out on. UK came with an offer and they were always kind of there. It came down to the fact that I felt comfortable with UK. And I can play in the SEC and still play in my backyard. I won’t be 600 miles away. It was a win-win situation and a no-brainer.

 

Q: What did you think of the recruiting process?

 

A: There are good days and bad days. Some days you want a call and you don’t get one. Some days you want it to be quiet and you get six phone calls. But in the grand scheme of things, you have to get used to it because it’s only going to get tougher. Ideally, one day it's contract negotiations or arbitration.

 

Q: What was it like, playing in this year's Area Code Games?

 

A: That was the most fun I’ve ever had on a baseball field. You play with wooden bats, which brings out the best hitters. Pretty much everyone throws hard. And the guys who don’t have great off-speed stuff. A lot of those kids are going to be playing at a very high level. I was honored to be playing in it.”

 

 

Q: Any thoughts on the draft?

 

A: You always want to be prepared. It’s always a touchy subject. But it will always be in my mind. I don’t want to say I’m expecting anything, because my expectations are low. I’m trying to stay humble and stay loyal to UK. But it’s a process you have to go through, just like the recruiting process. It’s a long way away and it’ll probably be become more serious down the road. I think I’m still a little naïve on the subject.

 

Q: Not playing golf this year?

 

A: I wanted to hone in on baseball and work on that – the weight-lifting and training. I really want to become a complete ballplayer.

Congrats to Luke and the Maile family; and I'm thrilled he chose UK!! Great recruit for them, and if he stays four years; he'll be a cornerstone of their program.

 

Time sure flys, as it seems like yesterday he was playing Knothole ball for a very good Swan Florist team (albiet playing up 2 years); and starting then as I recall. Enjoyed watching him then and now--May have to catch a few CCH games this year?

 

Is hoops officially out of the question, or could we see a last second change of heart? He'll be missed there. Again congrats to him whatever he decides, as baseball is obviously his future!!

1) Congrats to Luke and his family. For him to have the chance to play college ball is awesome and UK is a good program to join.

 

2) It is very possible for a player like Farris to switch to being a second baseman. All it would take is a little practice on his footwork and he will be fine. Corey is a natural baseball player and would easily be able to make the switch with the tools that he has. Many players have done it before and many will continue to do so. One example that pops in mind (other than JJ) is Billy Mottram, second baseman for the Freedom. He was a corner infield guy that never played up the middle and a few games into the season made the switch to 2nd. Yes he had to practice his footwork but I think he's doing alright now. Atleast good enough to be an all-star at his new position. :sssh:

 

Farris has the best chance to play early in the OF at UK in my opinion. With the loss of Cowgill and Farrell and Wiley being a senior, there will be playing time available. Off the top of my head, Neiko Johnson is probably slotted as the starter at 2B for the Cats this year.

Great job Luke, and good luck!

Awesome news. I'm excited for the Luke, the Maile family and, as a Kentucky fan, myself :D

 

I'm glad he chose Kentucky for many different reasons. I think he'll do great there and it doesn't get any better than SEC baseball.

 

And boy was I wrong.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.