Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Baseball HOF Waiting Period

Should the HOF selection committee be able to vote to waive the HOF waiting period? 17 members have voted

  1. 1. Should the HOF selection committee be able to vote to waive the HOF waiting period?

    • Yes
      29%
      5
    • No
      70%
      12

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

I know that there is a waiting period of x amount of years to become eligible to get your name on the Baseball HOF Ballot. Would you be in favor of the selection committee being able to vote to waive the waiting period for special cases?

 

The NHL does this now; Ex. Wayne Gretzky

No, the 5 year waiting period is fine. The HOF has made exceptions, for some as a result of death, like Clemente but no need to change.

No, the 5 year waiting period is fine. The HOF has made exceptions, for some as a result of death, like Clemente but no need to change.

:thumb: Lou Gehrig was inducted 18 months before he died and just 8 months after his final game.

Like it the way it is. Everyone has to wait their turn.

 

I also love that its VERY hard to get into the Baseball HOF.

 

It's the Best of the Best. Not the reallly good for a while.

Like it the way it is. Everyone has to wait their turn.

 

I also love that its VERY hard to get into the Baseball HOF.

 

It's the Best of the Best. Not the reallly good for a while.

Well said.
  • Author
Like it the way it is. Everyone has to wait their turn.

 

I also love that its VERY hard to get into the Baseball HOF.

 

It's the Best of the Best. Not the reallly good for a while.

 

The NHL has done it 9 times for the following players:

 

1947 Dit Clapper

1961 Maurice Richard

1966 Ted Lindsay

1969 Red Kelly

1971 Terry Sawchuk

1972 Gordie Howe

1979 Bobby Orr

1997 Mario Lemieux

1999 Wayne Gretzky

 

And if you know anything about Hockey, those are the cream of the crop.

The NHL has done it 9 times for the following players:

 

1947 Dit Clapper

1961 Maurice Richard

1966 Ted Lindsay

1969 Red Kelly

1971 Terry Sawchuk

1972 Gordie Howe

1979 Bobby Orr

1997 Mario Lemieux

1999 Wayne Gretzky

 

And if you know anything about Hockey, those are the cream of the crop.

I don't doubt that they are deserving, I just think everyone should have to wait their turn.
  • Author
I don't doubt that they are deserving, I just think everyone should have to wait their turn.

 

Understandable. I think it will be cool in the next 20 years to see if the clean players with lower numbers will get voted in over the supposed dirty players with better numbers;baseball that is.

I don't doubt that they are deserving, I just think everyone should have to wait their turn.

 

:thumb:

5 years is fine..Shoot for a lot of players, Goose Gossage, it's been longer than that, and we all know how good he was...Baseball has a great HOF in my opinion..You can go to other HOF museums and probably see really good but not the greatest players, but if you go to Cooperstown you will only see the best of the best there!

  • Author
5 years is fine..Shoot for a lot of players, Goose Gossage, it's been longer than that, and we all know how good he was...Baseball has a great HOF in my opinion..You can go to other HOF museums and probably see really good but not the greatest players, but if you go to Cooperstown you will only see the best of the best there!

 

The Hockey Hall of Fame, has been criticized for having too high of standards as well...

The Hockey Hall of Fame, has been criticized for having too high of standards as well...

 

But in the end the best baseball players get in..I really don't follow hockey so I don't know how it works but I see nothing wrong with how the HOF in baseball is setup..

I think that they should but only in cases like were mentioned above. Health reasons or death, not simply because a player is a shoo-in.

The Hockey Hall of Fame, has been criticized for having too high of standards as well...
The selection process, involves many media and personal issues, will factor in also.

 

Any induction/selection into a HOF, will have detractors but nothing wrong with the current process.

  • Author
The selection process, involves many media and personal issues, will factor in also.

 

Any induction/selection into a HOF, will have detractors but nothing wrong with the current process.

 

I really never said I found anything wrong with it, I was just asking if this a vote to skip the waiting period should be used for certain situations.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.