Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What is the Problem ?

Featured Replies

Why is it so hard to get Young Ladys out to play sports. I no its not like this everywhere but some school systems it is. I no what some of problems are atleast in my own mind. Just wondering what you all think.

  • Replies 41
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of girls start becoming young ladies early in middle school. As a guy I used to coach with would say "she got too pretty." Meaning she's more into fixing her hair and make-up than fixing her crossover dribble. Of course this doesn't mean that a girl can't be attractive and play sports.

Some other girls only play sports because their friends do. If the friend loses interest so do they.

Why is it so hard to get Young Ladys out to play sports. I no its not like this everywhere but some school systems it is. I no what some of problems are at least in my own mind. Just wondering what you all think.
Participation in middle school, to JV and Varsity, begin with a solid youth program.

 

If you have Volleyball, Basketball, Softball, Tennis and so on, in youth programs, many students will continue on in participation.

Participation in middle school, to JV and Varsity, begin with a solid youth program.

 

If you have Volleyball, Basketball, Softball, Tennis and so on, in youth programs, many students will continue on in participation.

 

I find this to be the largest contribution.

Here in a small county in youth leagues if not enough girls to make up 2 or more teams then the girls play on the boys team. In youth I mean 6th grade and under. This encourages the girls to participate because more fans seem to come to boys games and they get more encouragement from the community. And in the youth some girls can outplay the boys. Most of these girls seem to always stick with it.

  • Author
Participation in middle school, to JV and Varsity, begin with a solid youth program.

 

If you have Volleyball, Basketball, Softball, Tennis and so on, in youth programs, many students will continue on in participation.

 

I will agree with that youth programs are it. I can tell a big difference in softball due to travel ball teams. There just isn't very many aau teams around here. But that might be changeing I hope.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

My daughter is friends with a few girls that used to play basketball and quit. They told her they were tired of all the politics involved. They said that it all depended on who you were, who your parents were, or what position you had in the community to wether you ever got to play or not.

My daughter is friends with a few girls that used to play basketball and quit. They told her they were tired of all the politics involved. They said that it all depended on who you were, who your parents were, or what position you had in the community to wether you ever got to play or not.

 

I would bet that these girls did not come up with this on their own. I am sure they heard it at home and in the car on the way home. Parents should encourage their girls to work to get better instead of blaming their lack of playing time on politics.

  • Author
I would bet that these girls did not come up with this on their own. I am sure they heard it at home and in the car on the way home. Parents should encourage their girls to work to get better instead of blaming their lack of playing time on politics.

 

When you get up in middle school and beyond it should be the ones that put the work in during the season and off. That play the game there is politics in every sport that shouldn't be there. But if the girl loves the game they will put the work in. I think that might be most of the problem alot of kids dont want to work.

I think when they get older they do not want to put the time and effort into it to improve. So they often get stuck on the bench or not playing as much as they would like. They get discouraged and quit. Basketball takes year round work if you want to be competitive and may girls are not willing to give up that kind of time.

 

As far as being too pretty, I completely disagree with that. I think there are outside influences and other interests. Cars, boys, jobs that really give sports a lot of competition.

I would bet that these girls did not come up with this on their own. I am sure they heard it at home and in the car on the way home. Parents should encourage their girls to work to get better instead of blaming their lack of playing time on politics.

 

:thumb::thumb: I think we have all seen this before. IMO this happens all the time in girls athletics. Instead crying around and blaming coaches, other girls, and politics. Get out there work harder and try to get better.

This is not a problem with only girls teams but also boys teams. Alot of kids both male and female do not like to put in the extra time it takes to be good, then when the playing time isn't there they look to blame someone or something else and decide to quit. i can only speak about Ashland because I live here but go drive around the city one day and look at all the empty basketball courts outside that have no one on them. The interest just isn't there to speak of.

I also think that alot of girls loose interest during the middle school years because there season is way to short and they don't play enough to really stay interested . I'm talking about the Entire teams not getting enough time . at most middle school season only lasts 2 months . Some girls do get to move on to freshman or Jv but not all of them.

My daughter is friends with a few girls that used to play basketball and quit. They told her they were tired of all the politics involved. They said that it all depended on who you were, who your parents were, or what position you had in the community to wether you ever got to play or not.

I have heard the same exact things about Notre Dame Academy Volleyball and Basketball........

All the reasons listed above happen in both girls and boys sports. If the kid really wants to play, she will put in the time and effort to become better. Some just don't have the ability and instead of sitting the bench, they decide to quit and go onto other things. Lack of participation varies from school to school. At my former high school, I really don't see a difference between the girls and boys programs.

A lot of very good points! I have always thought (this does happen in our district) that when you cut a player in the middle school from a team, that you almost certainly cut them forever. I think cutting kids in those early years directly affects the high school program. There will always be players that lose interest & find other pursuits, but think about these numbers...a

6th grade program that has 35-40 kids come out for the team. You cut. You don't field 2 teams, or even maybe a "practice" team. Do those kids ever come back? No. These kids that are cut don't even have an intramural program to fall back on to even give them a chance the next year. They are just lost. Pretty sure they may be those kids in the hall the high school coaches wonder why aren't playing!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.