Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What is the Problem ?

Featured Replies

A lot of very good points! I have always thought (this does happen in our district) that when you cut a player in the middle school from a team, that you almost certainly cut them forever. I think cutting kids in those early years directly affects the high school program. There will always be players that lose interest & find other pursuits, but think about these numbers...a

6th grade program that has 35-40 kids come out for the team. You cut. You don't field 2 teams, or even maybe a "practice" team. Do those kids ever come back? No. These kids that are cut don't even have an intramural program to fall back on to even give them a chance the next year. They are just lost. Pretty sure they may be those kids in the hall the high school coaches wonder why aren't playing!

 

I understand your point about cutting but when you get to the middle school level you don't have much choice (numbers wise) as there are some players that have never even picked up a ball and have no business even trying out- but in the spirit of trying new things, they give it a shot. I blame some of that on the parents that they don't work with their kids in setting realistic expectations and kids get their feelings get hurt. Now when this happens, you can either quit trying or work hard at improving and give it a shot the next year. Most kids don't have the work ethic or desire to do it. The big influencer of all this, IMO, is that most of these kids have played some type of rec league where they got to play in every game-equal amounts most of the time, practice only night a week, get awards every game, and, most importantly, they are more excited about the snack afterwards than in learning new skills. Sorry!!

 

Lastly, club sports have a big effect on girls teams as they begin to encourage them to play one sport- that starts in middle school and you lose alot of talented athletes that could do multiple sports but are encouraged at age 11 to go ahead and choose - IMO that is too early to make that decision but I see it all the time.

  • Replies 41
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand your point about cutting but when you get to the middle school level you don't have much choice (numbers wise) as there are some players that have never even picked up a ball and have no business even trying out- but in the spirit of trying new things, they give it a shot. I blame some of that on the parents that they don't work with their kids in setting realistic expectations and kids get their feelings get hurt. Now when this happens, you can either quit trying or work hard at improving and give it a shot the next year. Most kids don't have the work ethic or desire to do it. The big influencer of all this, IMO, is that most of these kids have played some type of rec league where they got to play in every game-equal amounts most of the time, practice only night a week, get awards every game, and, most importantly, they are more excited about the snack afterwards than in learning new skills. Sorry!!

 

Lastly, club sports have a big effect on girls teams as they begin to encourage them to play one sport- that starts in middle school and you lose alot of talented athletes that could do multiple sports but are encouraged at age 11 to go ahead and choose - IMO that is too early to make that decision but I see it all the time.

 

I totally agree with this. The only problem is that most sports are played year round and if a kid likes both sports it makes it tough on them. My daughter stopped playing softball last year and I tried to talk her into playing again but she loves the game of basketball and since you can play year round that is what she wants to do.

  • Author
I understand your point about cutting but when you get to the middle school level you don't have much choice (numbers wise) as there are some players that have never even picked up a ball and have no business even trying out- but in the spirit of trying new things, they give it a shot. I blame some of that on the parents that they don't work with their kids in setting realistic expectations and kids get their feelings get hurt. Now when this happens, you can either quit trying or work hard at improving and give it a shot the next year. Most kids don't have the work ethic or desire to do it. The big influencer of all this, IMO, is that most of these kids have played some type of rec league where they got to play in every game-equal amounts most of the time, practice only night a week, get awards every game, and, most importantly, they are more excited about the snack afterwards than in learning new skills. Sorry!!

 

Lastly, club sports have a big effect on girls teams as they begin to encourage them to play one sport- that starts in middle school and you lose alot of talented athletes that could do multiple sports but are encouraged at age 11 to go ahead and choose - IMO that is too early to make that decision but I see it all the time.

 

I agree with alot of this. But this brings up another ?. If your good at two sports should there be a point when you focus on one or the other or play both. And when should you decide this. I always thought by the begining of your freshmen year.

I agree with alot of this. But this brings up another ?. If your good at two sports should there be a point when you focus on one or the other or play both. And when should you decide this. I always thought by the begining of your freshmen year.

 

I think you can be successful doing both.

  • Author
I think you can be successful doing both.

 

Im not going to disagree with that. But i think it depends on the other sport and postion they play. The reason i say that is my DDs other sport is fastpitch and she is a pitcher and it takes year round work.

Some of your best basketball players excel at other sports. Take Amber Riddle from Rowan County. The good athletes don't focus on one sport at a time. They find time and put in the extra work that is needed to be good at two or three sports.

I don't think its a problem to get girls to play sports. I think its a problem to get girls to play multiple sports. In NKY at volleyball powers such as NDA and maybe SHDHS, you don't play any other sport. Its high school vball followed by club vball. No options.

I agree with alot of this. But this brings up another ?. If your good at two sports should there be a point when you focus on one or the other or play both. And when should you decide this. I always thought by the begining of your freshmen year.

 

Unfortunately, kids are forced to make a decision about which sport they are going to play. That's just the way it is (basketball is now a year round sport), not like the good old days when we could play multiple sports. I think if the kid wants to play at the next level, she needs to take a realistic look at what sport she is best/talented at and go in that direction (I know this opinion won't be too popular). Work at improving her game and strengthing her weaknesses. She needs to get as much exposure as she can and this can't be accomplished if she is playing something just because it might be fun or because her buddies are doing it. There are alot of athletic scholarships (granted most are partial unless you are extremely talented) but $10,000 or so a year (even at the small NAIA schools) isn't chump change. Throw in academic money and other scholarships and the kid basically has a free ride. I've went down this path with my daughter and it (concentrating specifically on basketball) was the best decision she made in regards to her future. She got a four year college education for under the price of one. She knew what she wanted, worked hard and reaped the benefits. There is no way I could have paid for her education without basketball.

Unfortunately, kids are forced to make a decision about which sport they are going to play. That's just the way it is (basketball is now a year round sport), not like the good old days when we could play multiple sports. I think if the kid wants to play at the next level, she needs to take a realistic look at what sport she is best/talented at and go in that direction (I know this opinion won't be too popular). Work at improving her game and strengthing her weaknesses. She needs to get as much exposure as she can and this can't be accomplished if she is playing something just because it might be fun or because her buddies are doing it. There are alot of athletic scholarships (granted most are partial unless you are extremely talented) but $10,000 or so a year (even at the small NAIA schools) isn't chump change. Throw in academic money and other scholarships and the kid basically has a free ride. I've went down this path with my daughter and it (concentrating specifically on basketball) was the best decision she made in regards to her future. She got a four year college education for under the price of one. She knew what she wanted, worked hard and reaped the benefits. There is no way I could have paid for her education without basketball.

 

I agree with your post, however what do you do if your child has a true passion for several sports? It's a tough call.

I agree with your post, however what do you do if your child has a true passion for several sports? It's a tough call.

 

If your child wants to play at the next level, she has to decide which sport will benefit her the most (what sport will she get the best scholarship). She may have a passion for several sports but only be good enough at one to go to the next level. Take the one and run with it. However, if she doesn't want to play at the next level, play them all and have a good time.

  • Author
If your child wants to play at the next level, she has to decide which sport will benefit her the most (what sport will she get the best scholarship). She may have a passion for several sports but only be good enough at one to go to the next level. Take the one and run with it. However, if she doesn't want to play at the next level, play them all and have a good time.

 

That is the kicker to it all does your DD want to play at the next level. I agree if she does focusing on one sport is your best bet. Inless they are a prodigy.

Cars.

They want free time to drive them around.

They need time to work to pay for the gas and car payments to drive them around.

 

Doesn't leave much other time for sports.

Cars.

They want free time to drive them around.

They need time to work to pay for the gas and car payments to drive them around.

 

Doesn't leave much other time for sports.

 

Boys and girls both want cars and most of them have them and they still play sports. Just depends on what their priorities are and how hard they want to work to achieve them.

I think it starts at home. My daughter plays ball in a small town on the river. It seems like the kids with the most parent support are more apt to stick with the program. If the parent's dont care then the kids won't either. I talk to my daughter every year and tell her if she starts the season she is going to finish, whether its basketball, volley ball or anything else. So if you ask me it starts at home.

We didn't have any problem with our daughter .She excelled in soccer ,basketball and volleyball in grade school . When she entered High School she dropped soccer because the season conflicted with volleyball . When she entered her sophomore year she dropped basketball and played volleyball exclusively for the next three years . She played volleyball for her college and now besides being a registered nurse she is also the freshman volleyball coach at the High School that she attended . She made the right choice among the sports she played but ,I'm glad she had the opportunity to play all of the sports that she did . Now instead of watching her play we get to go and watch her coach . Oh , I wanted to watch her practice her nursing profession but the hospital wouldn't let me .:lol:

Edited by KyTmcNcc

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.