The Audacity of Vanity

Barack Obama wants to speak at the Brandenburg Gate. He figures it would be a nice backdrop. The supporting cast -- a cheering audience and a few fainting frauleins -- would be a picturesque way to bolster his foreign policy credentials.

What Obama does not seem to understand is that the Brandenburg Gate is something you earn. President Ronald Reagan earned the right to speak there because his relentless pressure had brought the Soviet empire to its knees and he was demanding its final "tear down this wall" liquidation. When President John F. Kennedy visited the Brandenburg Gate on the day of his "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech, he was representing a country that was prepared to go to the brink of nuclear war to defend West Berlin.

Who is Obama representing? And what exactly has he done in his lifetime to merit appropriating the Brandenburg Gate as a campaign prop? What was his role in the fight against communism, the liberation of Eastern Europe, the creation of what George Bush the elder -- who presided over the fall of the Berlin Wall but modestly declined to go there for a victory lap -- called "a Europe whole and free"?

Does Obama not see the incongruity? It's as if a German pol took a campaign trip to America and demanded the Statue of Liberty as a venue for a campaign speech. (The Germans have now gently nudged Obama into looking at other venues.)

How especially true this part is!

Americans are beginning to notice Obama's elevated opinion of himself. There's nothing new about narcissism in politics. Every senator looks in the mirror and sees a president. Nonetheless, has there ever been a presidential nominee with a wider gap between his estimation of himself and the sum total of his lifetime achievements?

Link

Thoughts?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Americans are beginning to notice Obama's elevated opinion of himself. There's nothing new about narcissism in politics. Every senator looks in the mirror and sees a president. Nonetheless, has there ever been a presidential nominee with a wider gap between his estimation of himself and the sum total of his lifetime achievements?

Link

Thoughts?

Bobby Kennedy.

Link

Thoughts?

John Kerry accomplished virtually nothing in his 25 years in the US Senate. Obama accomplished the same thing in about 1/8th as much time. They both seem to have large gaps between their ample helping of self esteem and actual accomplishments. Is it a greater accomplishment to accomplish nothing in 25 years or to accomplish nothing in less than four years? I think that tthe answer lies in the flip of a coin.

John Kerry accomplished virtually nothing in his 25 years in the US Senate. Obama accomplished the same thing in about 1/8th as much time. They both seem to have large gaps between their ample helping of self esteem and actual accomplishments. Is it a greater accomplishment to accomplish nothing in 25 years or to accomplish nothing in less than four years? I think that tthe answer lies in the flip of a coin.

I am not defending Kerry, but he must of done something or had something to stand on, during his re-election campaigns.

I am not defending Kerry, but he must of done something or had something to stand on, during his re-election campaigns.
Are you kidding? An anti-military, liberal incumbent running for reelection in Massachusetts? What else do the voters in that state need to know?

Are you kidding? An anti-military, liberal incumbent running for reelection in Massachusetts? What else do the voters in that state need to know?

I am pretty sure there has to be more...Liberals aren't as dumb to elect a man based on a few labels. He has to be doing something for the community.

I am pretty sure there has to be more...Liberals aren't as dumb to elect a man based on a few labels. He has to be doing something for the community.
The election results tell a different story but enough about arrogant John Kerry. Let's resume the discussion about Obama's arrogance. Liberal politicians played no positive role in bringing down the Berlin Wall and Obama speaking there would make him look like a five-year old dressed up in his daddy's suit.

JFK and Ronald Reagan both played positive roles in keeping West Berlin free and bringing down the wall. and both made courageous speeches in West Berlin in defiance of evil. JFK and Reagan earned their places in German history and Obama thinks that delivering an empty campaign speech in Berlin will earn him a similar place in history. It won't.

The election results tell a different story but enough about arrogant John Kerry. Let's resume the discussion about Obama's arrogance. Liberal politicians played no positive role in bringing down the Berlin Wall and Obama speaking there would make him look like a five-year old dressed up in his daddy's suit.

JFK and Ronald Reagan both played positive roles in keeping West Berlin free and bringing down the wall. and both made courageous speeches in West Berlin in defiance of evil. JFK and Reagan earned their places in German history and Obama thinks that delivering an empty campaign speech in Berlin will earn him a similar place in history. It won't.

You make it sounds like Obama is a horrible person....

I believe that he is. Anybody who facilitates infanticide, as Obama did as an Illinois state senator has little moral fiber, IMO.

Am I a horrible person because I volunteer with planned parenthood?

Does a view on one issue completely erase any moral standing that a person has?

With all due respect I would question the morals of anyone who seems to so relish their role in abortions.

I personally know a physician who aborted at least two of his own grandchildren. He facilitated irresponsible behavior by his son.

I don't care what else he may have ever done in life, in my book he is morally bankrupt.

Am I a horrible person because I volunteer with planned parenthood?

Does a view on one issue completely erase any moral standing that a person has?

BGP rules do not permit me to pronounce judgment on you as a person.

Obama is a public figure running for the most important office in the free world. Hitler put a lot of Germans to work and restored national pride to his countrymen. However, nothing that he could possibly have accomplished could have washed the blood of six million Jews from his hands. Similarly, abortionists kill an average of 3,000 humans each day. There is not much that they can do in my eyes to atone for that evil.

BGP rules do not permit me to pronounce judgment of you as a person.

Obama is a public figure running for the most important office in the free world. Hitler put a lot of Germans to work and restored national pride to his countrymen. However, nothing that he could possibly have accomplished could have washed the blood of six million Jews from his hands. Similarly, abortionists kill an average of 3,000 humans each day. There is not much that they can do in my eyes to atone for that evil.

There is a difference between a person and a fetus...